BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newell To Meet Fa

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you believe and if there is systematic corruption/money leakage, will anything happen?

I don't want to sound cynical but would Rovers fans prefer, say, Sparky being exposed as a bung merchant at Ewood or the whole thing remaining murky?

That is a highly hypothetical question which I only pose because it seems so utterly unlike the man. But there are probably at least ten Premiership clubs seriously wondering if their man is going to be on Mike Newell's list and their fans will be asking that question for real.

Sadly, the rewards for whistle blowing are usually pain and anguish for the blower as well as the blown. Society does not have a good way of handling these things.

I don't want to sound cynical but would Rovers fans prefer, say, Sparky being exposed as a bung merchant at Ewood or the whole thing remaining murky?

373943[/snapback]

I'd want him exposed , but like yourself I'd be absolutely amazed - he seems far too decent and intelligent . Not sure I could say the same about certain of his predecessors but I wouldn't want to incur your wrath by implying anything about the Rovers' past transfers that would shed unfavourable light not only on any particular manager but on his immediate boss....

Like Newell says , you have to be naiive not to believe that corruption is rife . All boards should have a fans' rep on board IMO .... Good luck to Newell ; let's hear some names , close to home or not .

I don't want to sound cynical but would Rovers fans prefer, say, Sparky being exposed as a bung merchant at Ewood or the whole thing remaining murky?[/url]

373943[/snapback]

I know this is not what you asked, but I don't think (Rovers)/Hughes have much to fear. Hughes have not been involved in many transfers in ihs managerial carreer, and I doubt any bungs have been given, none of the transfers seem like "bung transfers".

I'd be more worried about the reputation of the club being dragged trough the mud due to Souness' agent connections.... ph34r.gif

Edited by Rainmaker

Yes, i was about to mention the same thing. Hardly any of Sparky's signings have made anyone raise questions about the price being stupidly high, rather with some of them we've been more worried we are getting players too cheap (Axe, Nelsen and Kuqi).

Some of our previous managers, however, did pay daft money for players we all knew weren't worth it....

For some reason I keep thinking of the name 'Harry Redknapp'. I think Hughes is clean for the reasons stated, but as for Souness and Hodgson...............Of course I should state at this point that it is my idle speculatitive mind at work here, and I have no proof of anything.

I mention Woy, as surely it would explain the £4.5m for Nathan Blake, £5.5m for Christian Dailly, £7.5m for Kevin Davies........................ laugh.gifbiggrin.gif. Well its the only thing I can think of to explain those signings.

For some reason I keep thinking of the name 'Harry Redknapp'.

374125[/snapback]

Redknapp was the first prem manager I heard on the radio after Newell's allegations and he stated that he never had any involvement in the financial side of transfers . How far back he's talking about I don't know . I'm strongly of the opinion that if managers have been dodgy dealing then their bosses on the board are also culpable for not keeping them in check .

The last words of Newell on that interview: "Don't you think its interesting that certain agents do repeat deals with certain Managers?"

On that basis, we need to hunker down at Ewood.

Incidentally, slipping into 'drog mode, perhaps jim would confirm that it would cost less for an agent to buy a journalist than it would to buy a Premiership Manager. That was my reaction when Mike Newell said he could not understand why the press don't investigate and blow the lid on it- as he said "we are only talking football, not investigating the White House."

My guess is that someone somewhere will now dig some dirt on Mike Newell to discredit him.

A positive Blackburn Rovers mention here. Interesting to note that the taxman not only got Al Capone, his British counterpart trapped George Graham.

A background on bungs etc.

Edited by philipl

The FA will find Graeme Souness offered an 'irregular' payment to the agent of a certain Lorenzo Amoruso in order to tempt the Italian ace to join the Rovers. They could even confiscate the player from the club and cancel his contract with immediate effect.

Please God.

• 1 month later...

The scope of the Stevens enquiry.

This could be tasty- every transfer transaction since January 2004 to be investigated by a team including forensic accountants.

Grabbi and Amo are off the radar as far as we are concerned. In fact, I think only MGP and Stead arrived as a big money Souness signings at Rovers in this period and I get absolutely no hint of smell about Rovers since he departed. The transfer out of Ferguson to Rangers will inevitably open up his transfer in to scrutiny as that deal must have involved unravelling the original one.

The Boumsong transfer to Newcastle (and £40m of other Souness transfers) ARE within scope.

So I guess we will all know definitively whether the unease of some people posting on here about how clean Souness transfer dealings were at Rovers was justified or not.

Plenty of Harry Redknap deals for the Stevens team to look at as well. I would love to be a fake sheikh on the wall when they face SGE with the full NoTW transcript/tape....

Was it Harry Redknapp who sold Rio Ferdinand to Manchester United? I knew the players agent at the time (we both went to the same school) and I don't want to make allegations but there was something not right about that deal!

Was it Harry Redknapp who sold Rio Ferdinand to Manchester United? I knew the players agent at the time (we both went to the same school) and I don't want to make allegations but there was something not right about that deal!

388792[/snapback]

He went to Leeds first...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.