BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Much Adu About Freddy.

He guys just been reading the BBC website, in particular an article about Freddy Adu, I'm sure some of our american based members will have seen the lad play, is he as good as everybody makes out? the next Pele? or just someone who the US Soccer federation are pinning their hopes on to raise the profile of the game in the country?

Will he play in the world cup? Will it be Chelsea, Man Utd, AC Milan, Real, Barca?

Adu Story

user posted image

user posted image

ive seen him play a few times in the mls on channel 5 really last at night or should i say early morning!!

hard to say how good he is as the strength of his opposition isn't the world elite huh.gif

his ability is brilliant, for his age he's got raw tallent and will just getter better.

382457[/snapback]

Adu will almost certainly not be at the world cup unless there are at least 2 injuries to other American forwards/creative players. He was released early from the national team camp to train with his club side, in hopes of actually breaking through as a starter. He's been behind on the depth chart on the club level the past 2 years.

If he can somehow break out and score 6 goals by May 1 (US league starts 4/1), then he has a shot, or at least being an alternate. But as of now, don't bet on him at the World Cup.

Some of his skills, however, after seeing him up close, are quite impressive, especially for one of his age. He was outplayed at the U-20 World Cup by Messi, and has struggled against more physical players even in the US league. But he keeps getting better and better. As a ticket holder for his club side, we would love to see him suddenly start playing like one of the world's best talents, instead of one of the world's best hypes.

But he will be in Europe at some point, perhaps in 2 years, although i may not be surprised if he initially bypasses England to be a starter somewhere else first. Dutch league comes to mind...

My honest opinion of him is that he has all the talent in the world but right now isn't using it right. As has been said he has been sent home from the US camp, but he's no chance of going as he is streets behind Donovan and McBride, plus the crop of decent MLS strikers. It wouldn't make sense to take him to Germany as it would be a waste of a slot; they are the USA not Brazil.

His league performances have been up and down; one game he is great then he will fade away into nothing and get taken off after an hour. He isn't the biggest so tends to get knocked off the ball easily, but unlike Michael Owen, Adu likes dribbling so he gets caught out alot. The MLS is not that bad; granted it's a bit boring to watch but I think that most sides would hold their own in the Championship, which wasn't the case for the first few years of the league.

The U-20 tournament was a good opportunity to see him and he failed to impress there.

He is still not 17 so time is on his side, but his main aim right now is to improve the profile of the sport over here. The fact that the USA have some decent players seems lost on the money men as they are focusing on him and him alone.

Sounds like he is behind Walcott and Obi in terms of two other much-hyped 16 year olds. Messi is a grand old man in comparisson.

That said, there is plenty of time for him to develop. Obi and Adu in the same Chelski side sounds an awesome proposition.

His play for DC United has been occasionally superb. No doubting the talent, and he brings the type of creativity and verve to attacking that the US doesn't readily produce.

But, he is 5 months younger than my son. And despite vision, quickness and skill, he still reminds me of the youth club players my son plays with.

Not much chance of seeing Germany this summer. I'm not sure if it makes sense to go to England yet, as he can not play Senior footy until he's 18. In the meantime, MLS is a decent training ground for the size and speed he needs to play against. And he can continue to develop his game, and his name.

His biggest drawback: Size and strength on the ball.

Definitely wouldn't call him miles behind Theo (haven't seen Obi). Has the talent, but his downfall will be attitude. He's had several problems with management due to lack of playing time. Instead of just going out and working harder, he moans and complains. That being said, when they bring him on late in a match he makes his presence known and can be a match changer with his speed. The way he plays reminds me a bit of Rooney's performances for England (though at a lesser quality).

Well as he hasn't cost anybody £12m and he hasn't been a star turn at a major International Competition (Obi for Nigeria in the African Cup of Nations), Adu is behind those two at the moment.

Certainly Obi would have been in the Nigerian team had they qualified for the WC but I am hearing that Adu is not in the picture for the USA.

Plenty of time to catch up though.

Certainly Obi would have been in the Nigerian team had they qualified for the WC but I am hearing that Adu is not in the picture for the USA.

382626[/snapback]

He's made it pretty clear that he'll be playing for the USA, not Nigeria.

Much more advertising moolah to be made from there. Bit like Greg Rusedski swapping Canada for GB...

The point i am making is that the USA do not consider Adu good enough for their senior squad yet. The Nigeria/USA thing was settled ages ago but perhaps he will regret his choice in pure footballing terms unless he teams up with Obi at Chelsea.

The point i am making is that the USA do not consider Adu good enough for their senior squad yet. The Nigeria/USA thing was settled ages ago but perhaps he will regret his choice in pure footballing terms unless he teams up with Obi at Chelsea.

382629[/snapback]

Thought Adu was of Ghanian rather than Nigerian descent. But aye, more "lucrative" if he plays for USA.

382629[/snapback]

Of course having been born in Ghana and probably never having been to Nigeria in his life might have something to do with it... wink.gif

Damn..Ronin beat me to it laugh.gif

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Ah, but that's a big if. Obviously the US were a strong enough side to qualify, unlike Nigeria.

As for a 12 million transfer fee, neither has Theo - it was closer to 5. Add ons don't count, as they have to be reached first.

Huh?

huh.gif

382665[/snapback]

he plays behind another attacking midfielder, an Argentine named Gomez, who is 32 now, and doesn't usually play more than 70 minutes in a match, yet retains the starting position. (DC United usually plays 3-5-2). Often though, one of the forwards, another 30+ player will start in the playmaking position instead (a Bolivian named Moreno, who had a short stint at Boro in the mid 90s).

He's probably the 4th preferred forward on this team

most of his starts actually were on the left wide position, which is definitely not his natural position, and even there, there were others on the team who were probably starting ahead of him most of the time.

adu in my opinion is better than wallcott cant say about obi mikel because i havnt seen him play that often but adu is going to be the next big thing lots of top clubs are chasing his signiture but i think only inter and psv have made contact but were both refused.

to echo things said earlier. Adu could possibly be a huge star in the future, but its a ways off.

Currently he is too lightweight, and moans too much both on and off the field. Although I guess moaning on the field might actually make him a bigger star.

To translate US sports parlance:

Depth chart = pecking order

Mikel and Messi were streets ahead of Adu at the u-20's but both are older, Messi plays for Barca and Mikel is built like a brick wall.

382683[/snapback]

Ask a Man U supporter. They'll be able to translate !! tongue.gif

I've actually never seen him play, and I tried to find a google video of him but couldn't. I know there is a lot of hype around him, I've seen him on day time talkshows (which is the epitome of success!!! laugh.gif ). I will hold off any serious thoughts until I've seen what he can do but it seems like he is just a poster boy for American soccer and the MLS. They needed a superstar to attract fans and get people interested...this is just my speculation though, he might be amazing still.

• 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.