BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Creating Your Own Rovers Kit.

So here in the states there's a sad dearth of Rovers merch. The club store is perenially out of shirts online, and, to be frank, I haven't really liked the shirt designs since we used Kappa.

So I thought about creating my own piece of Rovers kit for personal use. I guess my questions are:

1) Does anyone think this even sounds good looking?

2) Is the thought of doing this horribly horribly disrespectful to the Club?

What I guess I'm envisioning, being a yank of dubious taste and morals, is a modification of the basic club patch to remove "Arte et Labore", move the Blackburn Rovers FC to the space previously occupied by said motto, and replacing the Rovers club name round the patch with "They Win Or Die Who Wear The Red Rose Of Lancaster" (the motto of the 55th [West Lancashire] Division from WWI).

Then putting that bodge job on a BDU jacket in what is affectionately known as the "electric blue" pattern.

Does this sound intriguing to anyone at all? I'm not looking to sell them, or even make more than one, but I figured I would temper my natural Texan enthusiasm for the bizarre with good British sense before investing the money and (potentially) looking like a moron.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here in the states there's a sad dearth of Rovers merch.  The club store is perenially out of shirts online, and, to be frank, I haven't really liked the shirt designs since we used Kappa.

So I thought about creating my own piece of Rovers kit for personal use.  I guess my questions are:

1) Does anyone think this even sounds good looking?

2) Is the thought of doing this horribly horribly disrespectful to the Club?

What I guess I'm envisioning, being a yank of dubious taste and morals, is a modification of the basic club patch to remove "Arte et Labore", move the Blackburn Rovers FC to the space previously occupied by said motto, and replacing the Rovers club name round the patch with "They Win Or Die Who Wear The Red Rose Of Lancaster" (the motto of the 55th [West Lancashire] Division from WWI).

Then putting that bodge job on a BDU jacket in what is affectionately known as the "electric blue" pattern.

Does this sound intriguing to anyone at all?  I'm not looking to sell them, or even make more than one, but I figured I would temper my natural Texan enthusiasm for the bizarre with good British sense before investing the money and (potentially) looking like a moron.

388096[/snapback]

How about,"DON'T MESS WITH BLACKBURN"

biggrin.gif

and with Long horn

388104[/snapback]

I dare say I'd love to see Vince Young try to play soccer. Do "football" skills apply to football?

Still, a 6'6" 270 pound guy who can run the 40 yard dash in 4.4 seconds would be a scary sight indeed charging down the pitch.

Why not? THe only thing you musn't do is make more than one, and you certainly shouldn't sell them.

And if you take the crest off an old shirt I don't think you would be breaching contract.

Exercise your creativity! Just make it look good or expect to be slated if you make it over to Blackburn!

Why not? THe only thing you musn't do is make more than one, and you certainly shouldn't sell them.

And if you take the crest off an old shirt I don't think you would be breaching contract.

Exercise your creativity! Just make it look good or expect to be slated if you make it over to Blackburn!

388135[/snapback]

My current goal is to make the first game of next season, or, if God smiles on us, the first home game of the Champions play. Is Manchester the best airport to fly into, or is the general consensus to fly into London and take the train?

I've gone ahead and ordered the bits, and will be sewing it together once it arrives. I'll post pics for public ridicule then.

I would have a problem with the removal of "Arte et Labore". I think it's fair that as an American you don't understand the culture and the history of England, so you'd think it OK but we are one of the founder members of the league and I would want to preserve as much club history as possible.

388096[/snapback]

Sorry to be pain again but that's a moto from West Lancs which is Preston / Blackpool. Blackburn is classed as East Lancs. Sorry. Is there a moto for the Accrington Pals?

Is there a moto for the Accrington Pals?

388148[/snapback]

I don't think they had mobiles (US: cellphones) in the Serre trenches, but after the war I think the motto became "Don't become the cannon-fodder of incompetent public school boys and their manipulative calls to patriotism"

By the way, isn't it great that we have all these American soccer fanatics now, monitoring the progress of the famous blue and white half stripes. I too can't wait to see if we progress into the "Champions play".

How long is it till Brad retires?

Edited by OnePost

I don't think they had mobiles (US: cellphones) in the Serre trenches, but after the war I think the motto became "Don't become the cannon-fodder of incompetent public school boys and their manipulative calls to patriotism"

By the way, isn't it great that we have all these American soccer fanatics now, monitoring the progress of the famous blue and white half stripes. I too can't wait to see if we progress into the "Champions play".

How long is it till Brad retires?

388149[/snapback]

For the record, I am not a fan of Rovers because of Friedel. I'm not entirely sure why Rovers captured my fancy when I started following soccer in 1999, but they did, and I've stayed a fan ever since.

Hell, even from Texas I'm trying to get to Ewood to help out with the attendance numbers. I'm terribly sorry that my Lancastrian geography and history are somewhat suspect, but I imagine the same is true of your knowledge of the rich history of the great state of Texas. Similarly, my technical grasp of soccer terminology is lacking. I try, though, at least.

Trust me - 'twere I, like most of my countrymen, a fair weather fan, I'd be wearing a Chelski or Man Ure jersey right now. Maybe if I were "hip" I'd support the Arse. But I'm going on my 7th year of Rovers support, so cut me some slack, eh?

Sorry to be pain again but that's a moto from West Lancs which is Preston / Blackpool.  Blackburn is classed as East Lancs.  Sorry.  Is there a moto for the Accrington Pals?

388148[/snapback]

To answer your question about mottos, for the East Lancs at least, it would be "Spectemur agendo", which apparently means something like "let us be known for our acts".

The Accrington Pals were the 11th (service) Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment. They got slaugthered on July 1st, the first day of the Battle of the Somme, when they attacked towards Serre.

Don't worry about it. Foreign fans will always get a bit of stick now and then and being American won't help. Not worth your time to bother responding to that crap.

388162[/snapback]

Blah blah blah. Looking forward to seeing the cosmopolitan masses down at Ewood.

Blah blah blah. Looking forward to seeing the cosmopolitan masses down at Ewood.

388176[/snapback]

Well I look forward to meeting you. Sounds like you could really carry a good conversation.

Alright. I'll let you know when I'm next at a game and I look forward to seeing you at it.

Oh and just so you don't get off feeling better than me and the rest of the foreign fans; if I lived within 100 miles of Ewood then I'd be there every home match as well. As it stands for me it just isn't realistic.

Edited by Eddie

Drifty,

Have a look at

The Old Fashioned Football Shirt company

I can vouch for the quality, they are really good, and if it's as hot in Texas as I am lead to beleive, these cotton shirts will be a lot more comfortable than the rayon/nylon replicas.

388170[/snapback]

Thanks for the heads up!

And yes, it is indeed as hot here as you've been led to believe. It hit 30.5 C here today. In summer the papers keep running totals for how many days it hits over 100 F. I think last year we hit something like 23 days in a row for it. It's brutal in the heat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.