BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland 0-1 Rovers

Sorry for staying off topic, Flopsy thumbs-up.gif

<<I think Hughes is a fantastic manager, which worries me because he's probably too good to stay with us in the long term, unless people out there start waking up and smelling the coffee. Although the supporters really don't contribute a huge amount financially, a lack of presence must be soul-destroying when the team's doing so well and putting so much in.>> Jan

Jan’s post largely does merit a Grooby until the last sentence lets it down somewhat. If the ‘missing’ support is not overly significant in financial terms, as largely seems accepted now with the average £13 earning/seat/game, what is the real impact of the c. 10k empty blue seats on Mark Hughes and the team? I don’t believe this current Rovers staff, with the very positive qualities acknowledged by all on here, will be undermined by the lack of numbers of home supporters at Ewood Park. The size of our support was almost certainly not a significant factor when they became BRFC employees. The large gaps in the stands would seem to have their greatest impact on the apparent self-esteem of a number of the posters on here; for some, Ewood Park’s lowly status in the attendance statistics tables somehow demeans our actual Premier League position. I don’t agree with this at all. Don't get me wrong, I'd like larger home crowds too but refuse to don the sackcloth and ashes over it.

However if by ‘lack of presence’ you are referring to the implications of a passive ‘mural-like’ home crowd then that would be far more damaging. Many home atmospheres across the country are relatively feeble these days. However the responsibility for ensuring we create and maintain a vibrant, vocal and actively Rovers supporting Ewood Park rests with those of us who go to the matches, not those who don’t.

Above, Lee suggests that Darwen End lower (Riverside) should be given over to unreserved seating. I previously have felt this should have been introduced (or at least trialled) in the Blackburn End but it appears there are too many season ticket holders in there who are unwilling to change the status quo. It is now too diluted with younger and also more mature fans (is the Foreign Secretary ‘Left side’ or ‘Right side’?) to be the hotbed it was once and all who hold Ewood dear regularly need it to be again. Perhaps more fully reclaiming the Darwen End, in closer proximity to the away support, is the key.

<<It seems very few people in Blackburn have realised just what they have in the town. In fact hardly anybody on these boards recognise it>> Philipl

The current success of the team is almost unbelievable but folk ARE repeatedly recognizing it, locally and across the footballing world. How does the ‘very few people in Blackburn’ comment square with the oft-repeated statistics of gate levels at approx 20% of the town’s population, ‘top-of-the-league’ of local support by proximity to Ewood of season ticket holders etc. Am I missing something here (or perhaps there is new info regarding ticket buying demographics)?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billinge end blue

According to you, then, everything in the attendance garden is rosy. That's why Mark Hughes has made more than one appeal for the fans to get down there in numbers and roar the team on? That's why we've had to suffer the "kids for a quid" on a number of occasions?

Do you think that Craig Bellamy et al would 1) prefer to be roared on by 46,000 screaming fans or 2) prefer to be roared on by a half-empty stadium. I'd make the analogy with a theatre- it's far better to have a full theatre to play to than an empty one. Putting on a very good performance in front of 35 is soul-destroying whereas doing it in front of 200 is great. The adrenalin lifts you.

Now we're doing quite well in the adrenaline stakes without the wasters who watch from the local pub, but maybe the goal difference would improve if they foreswore the 5 extra pints to get down and watch the team? Who knows what we could achieve then.

Maybe Mark Hughes does. Maybe that's why he wants us all there.

In sympathy with the players, Krislu! Still, serves them right, well done Sparky! Nothing but the best effort will do smile.gif

Actually, I did notice that Mickey Gray was doing a fair bit of getting about in the match. Once or twice he was the only one running when all the rest were just standing still comtemplating their supper!

Edited by roversmum

You think the club shouldn't do "kids for a quid" games then ohmy.gif

394066[/snapback]

As long as they keep them away from the Jack Walker Lower it's fine, but it's horrible squeally when there are so many of them. Gives me a headache.

Jan’s post largely does merit a Grooby until the last sentence lets it down somewhat. If the ‘missing’ support is not overly significant in financial terms, as largely seems accepted now with the average £13 earning/seat/game, what is the real impact of the c. 10k empty blue seats on Mark Hughes and the team? I don’t believe this current Rovers staff, with the very positive qualities acknowledged by all on here, will be undermined by the lack of numbers of home supporters at Ewood Park. The size of our support was almost certainly not a significant factor when they became BRFC employees. The large gaps in the stands would seem to have their greatest impact on the apparent self-esteem of a number of the posters on here; for some, Ewood Park’s lowly status in the attendance statistics tables somehow demeans our actual Premier League position. I don’t agree with this at all. Don't get me wrong, I'd like larger home crowds too but refuse to don the sackcloth and ashes over it.

394032[/snapback]

That's one of the best and most sensible contributions Ive seen to the attendance debate.

Jan, when you talk glibly about 45,000 attendances you have to realise that the total population of Blackburn with Darwen is only about 140,000 and that due to rapidly changing demographics, an increasingly large section of (about half) the population don't go at all.

doesnt the ground only hold 30,000? If jan wants to sit on my knee shes welcome, but they're a bit boney

394445[/snapback]

Is that your knee bone or do you sometimes have a 'pistol' in your pocket Flopsy? wink.gif

Edited by Yorick

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.