BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg

As manager/head coach of Lyn Oslo, Henning finished a creditable 3rd in his first season with the Oslo club.

This season Lyn have got off to a flyer and are top of the Norwegian top flight with 7 points from their first three games. All three games were somewhat difficult but Lyn have come through unscathed.

Henning as a player did it all and had the t-shirt, gaining a wealth of knowledge under managers such as King Kenny and Sir Alex. Over a hundred caps for Norway.

Hopefully Mark Hughes will be at Rovers for many seasons to come but if the worst comes to the worst we could do worse than look to Henning, one of Ewood's great sons, to take the helm.

Great Player, another who feel out with GS before he left.  Would love to see him back at Rovers.  Mike Newell is another canidate.  MHfor five more years.

401528[/snapback]

I think it'll be Newell who we get next. Done a great job at lowly Luton so far. Interestingly, on my game of Football Manager, Mark Bowen was the man the board appointed after they sacked Hughes. A Brum fan claimed to me recently that Bowen is the brains behind Hughesy. Reckon we'll get Newell though.

I think it'll be Newell who we get next. Done a great job at lowly Luton so far. Interestingly, on my game of Football Manager, Mark Bowen was the man the board appointed after they sacked Hughes. A Brum fan claimed to me recently that Bowen is the brains behind Hughesy. Reckon we'll get Newell though.

401536[/snapback]

On one of mine FM games, when Hughes were off to scum, Newell got the job at Ewood smile.gif the beautiful FM smile.gif I've won CL with Rovers there....and I thought this game was like the real world wink.gif

ooops..a bit off topic..

Henning Berg is doing well at the moment, and who knows in 2-3yrs or maybe even 4-5 yrs rolleyes.gif when Hughes is off to a bigger club who will take charge of Rovers...Newell is my favorite right now, but tbh I don't like to talk about who will succeed Hughes cos I firmly belive he still will be our manager in 2 yrs time thumbs-up.gif

Berg might be a good shout for the future, but he needs more experience first. He has been quoted saying something along the lines "I've had Souness as a manager, so I atleast know how not to do things"... biggrin.gif

Berg might be a good shout for the future, but he needs more experience first. He has been quoted saying something along the lines "I've had Souness as a manager, so I atleast know how not to do things"... biggrin.gif

401623[/snapback]

souey fell out with berg (said he was returning home and then changed his mind) and replaced him with amo ohmy.gif

fell out with hodgson who replaced him with dailly ohmy.gif

i blame henning myself - laugh.gif

Berg is as cynical now as he was as a player

I think "intelligent" is the word you're looking for. You can't expect clubs like FC Lyn or Rovers to play like Brazil. Henning is also extremely ambitious and "young", so he could very well become Rovers' manager sometime in the future.

EDIT: Here's a Norwegian link where Aussie international Ahmad Elrich compares Henning to Guus Hiddink: http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2006/04/19/463924.html

Edited by asgawer

For you non-norwegian speaking people:

Thinks Berg is on par with Hiddink

Photo text 1:

HITTING IT OFF: Australian Ahmad Elrich thinks Henning Berg will be managing/coaching a big european club in a few years time - rating him at the same level as Guus Hiddink.

Photo text 2:

MERITED: Guus Hiddink have enjoyed sucsess at both club level and international level.

Atricle:

- Henning's got balls, says Fulham loanee Elrich.

Henning Bergs enormous will to win has made him one of the Tippeligas best managers/coaches in record time. He lead FC Lyn  to a strong third  place  in his debut season as a Tippeliga coach, and his goal this season is to go all the way.

There is reason to take this seriously - Berg is a man who usually reaches his goals.

Lyns loanee-hero from the 2-1-victory over city rivals Vålerenga, Ahmad Elrich, thinks the Lyn coach is just getting startet with what looks to be a major carrier as a coach.

- Henning has a great future. He has the potential to be a fantastic manager. "I think it is just a matter of a few yeas until he is coaching a major big european club." says Elrich to Dagbladet.no.

Elrich is an Australian international, thus having trained under one of the worlds most respected coaches, Guus Hiddink. Elich thinks the merited dutchman ha noting on Berg.

- I've been coached by a number of talented coaches, like Hiddink. And Henning is ut there with him. Henning knows what he is talking about and is a fantasitc motivator. He gets the best out of every player, and makes it a joy to attend training sessions, is the verdict form Elrich.

The praise doesn't stop there though:

- Just look at what he has done with Lyn. The team crawling with young players, and he is not afraid to utilise them. Henning's got balls, says Elrich.

Confronted with the praise form Elrich, Berg similes dismissivly:

- It's flattering to hear, of course, is all he'll say on the matter.

Phew,

Edited by Rainmaker

I'm sure they don't. My dislike for Berg has little to do with him managing Lyn, that statement should have had a wink.gif ..

I've always respected him as a footballer, and his managing career has kicked off well, but as a person I've neved liked him - regardless of club or nationality. He certainly doesn't strike me as particularly intelligent when he opens his mouth..

Berg is as cynical now as he was as a player, his team is defensively solid but scores few goals. Wouldn't want him back, since I've never liked the guy. (managing FC Lyn doesn't help, I admit)

Hughes for Rovers!

401621[/snapback]

Disagree entirely. Brilliant player for Rovers and tactically astute as his results in Norway have proven. Told the great tactitian Souness a thing about tactics at half time against Sunderland and was promptly subbed!

Met him and his wife after beating Spurs at Cardiff and both were really nice.

Very fond of Rovers but not Souness and I would love to see him return to Ewood one day as his experience would be invaluable.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag this thread back up but one of the other threads gave us a link to When Saturday Comes and when I searched their database for Blackburn articles this was ne of the hits.It takes us back to the dark days toward the end where Souey had lost the plot but makes for some interesting reading.

Have a look here

While I am thankful for all that Souness lead us to achieve,I am more thankful Sparky is our man now.

Souness did a great job (and inherited a very talented squad) when he took over. The last 18 months were an absolute disgrace. Interesting article.

How is Henning doing at the moment. He was always one of my favourite players, I'd like to see him back one day...

If only he had gone to Spurs when they came in for him instead of pricing himself out of that move, Souness would have been a Rovers legend and all those horrors of his last two years would not have happened.

Its fate philip.

If Souness had left for Spurs, we wouldnt have appointed Hughes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.