BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uefa Cup

Has anyone sen this:-

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seeduc2006.html

If you follow the seedings through from the qualifying rounds we will probably get into the top 40 and therefore be seeded. It depends who gets through from the qualifiers and who drops down from the CL. I would expect some of the CL teams to be seeded higher than us but not all of them so we should be OK. West Ham and Spurs are rated lower than us but Newcastle will be higher if they get it.

We are officially rated 99 in Europe, just ahead of Roda JC and a couple of places above Everton and Villa.

When the qualifiers start in July you can check this site to see where we are and who we are likely to be drawn against.

There'll be 40 teams seeded in the first round.

19 of the confirmed entrants in Round 1 are already seeded or ranked above us. I can only spot another dozen or so in the qualifying rounds/Intertoto who have a higher coefficient rating.

All of the English teams should be seeded.

Great teams above us:

FC Lovech

Alemannia Aachen

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk

PAOK Thessaloniki

Ipswich Town

FC Sochaux-Montbéliard

Zenit St. Petersburg

408689[/snapback]

High score at scrabble with those beauts blink.gif

We score well by being from England but on our own performances in Europe we'd probably be ranked below Albania Reserves. Only European performances count towards this and its over 5 years.

409152[/snapback]

Albania Reserves? blink.gif

So national team reserve teams play in European club competitions now? Interesting...that'll make the UEFA Cup somewhat different this year. wink.gif

Yeh exactly Mb, its a bit of a pointless discussion. Still, hopefully we can change our awful record of never having won a outright uefa cup match in our history! Hughes will be different, we hope!

the whole ranking thing is a joke, its based on a points scheme ( i think) on how many games you have won (european) over the past few years, last year we were ranked second by one system! it makes no sense!

we turned over teams like sochauex and olympiakos, eindhoven and even teams like juventus but how can we be ranked higher than teams who have won champs league games and won their respective leagues??? its stupid.

thats why teams like ipswich are higher than rovers!

at the end of the day rovers should be seeded ahead of us, hence you finishing 6th in the league and us 7th and hopefully entering via the uefa cup, but it doesnt work that way.

chelsea arnt seeded for next season chumps league yet man utd are??

its daft

The seeding system is incredibly complicated but it does favour English teams so lets not complain about it too loudly eh. If it wasn't for our national coefficient we wouldn't be seeded. I think there is a possibility that we could miss out on a seeding but it would take some big shocks in the CL qualifiers for that to happen.

It's normally the last Friday in August, I think - the same day as the Super Cup is played.

That site at the top has been updated - if I've worked it out properly, then out of the teams definitely in the 1st round of the UEFA Cup, 13 will definitely be seeded. We, Tottenham and West Ham are in the group of 19 teams who are definitely in that round but are not certain to be seeded: however, we've got the 6th best coefficient out of those teams, and we would be seeded above Spuds or West Ham.

Basically, to NOT be seeded, we would need 23 teams with a higher coefficient than ours to either come through the UEFA qualifying rounds (or Intertoto), or be knocked out in the 3rd qualifying round of the Champions League. 32 teams will come in from the UEFA qualifiers (bear in mind that includes Intertoto teams like Villareal and Newcastle), and 16 will come from the Champions League.

As far as I can see, there are 16 teams in the Intertoto and early UEFA rounds with a higher coefficient than us. That would mean that, assuming they all made it into the 1st round proper of the UEFA, we would need to hope that no more than 6 teams with a higher coefficient than ours are knocked out of the 3rd round qualifiers of the Champions League.

I hope I'm right after typing all of that!

There are only 12 teams who can come through the Intertoto or Uefa Qualifiers who will have a higher rating, 5 from the Intertoto and 7 from the Uefa. Assuming all 12 get through it would require 11 of the 16 from the Champions League to be higher ranked. At least 4 will be but it would take some bizarre results to say the least for 7 seeded sides to lose. Even then we are assuming all the higher ranked teams will come through qualifying which is no certainty.

p.s. draw is indeed the final friday, 25th August.

Edited by Manchester Blue

There are only 12 teams who can come through the Intertoto or Uefa Qualifiers who will have a higher rating, 5 from the Intertoto and 7 from the Uefa. Assuming all 12 get through it would require 11 of the 16 from the Champions League to be higher ranked. At least 4 will be but it would take some bizarre results to say the least for 7 seeded sides to lose. Even then we are assuming all the higher ranked teams will come through qualifying which is no certainty.

p.s. draw is indeed the final friday, 25th August.

But have you mapped out how to get to every game yet?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.