SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Apple Ipod Phone

Guest Kamy100

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only had it 24 hours so you'll have to bear with me for a few days. I've been looking at this type of device for about 2 months and kept coming back to this one.

I'll post about it in a week or so.

I have a 2GB card in mine (I have SVP M600) and I currently have 5 full MP3 albums, 4 episodes of Heroes and 1 film on it with plenty of space to spare for the TOM TOM GB map.

My SPV C600 recently became submerged in water, and although (after a spell in an oven) it soldiered on for a few days, it now cuts out if I try and charge it up (rendering the mini USB port useless).

I was nearly out of contract anyway, so my attention has been drawn to the two devices you have - SPV M3100 and SPV M600. Paul - how are you finding it after a couple of weeks? My worry about the 3100 is the size. Biddy - I know the M600 is almost obselete with the M700 on the horizon - again slightly worried about the size, and the risk of being reliant on a touch screen - surely one bit of accidental damage and the thing is useless?

My other options are waiting for the Nokia N95 which looks awesome and threatening Orange with defection to T Mobile for the MDA Compact III or to Virgin Mobile for the Lobster 700 TV (although the latter is a horrible looking device).

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has either of those. Cheers ...

- SPV M3100 .

The 3100 is a cracking piece of kit, wireless, bluetooth, and combined with the orange deal allowing unlimited off peak internet browsing for 5 a month means can keep in touch via email/net wherever. Camera is awful though.

The size was a worry when I initially got it, but have got used to it.

My other options are waiting for the Nokia N95 which looks awesome and threatening Orange with defection to T Mobile for the MDA Compact III or to Virgin Mobile for the Lobster 700 TV (although the latter is a horrible looking device).

Thats the one. Get the 2GB memory card and its got all the functionality of the IPhone and more besides. 3.5G download speed will be immense (as soon as the networks upgrade to HSDPA, which isn't far off).

Stick with Nokia, they've got it sussed.

Here comes the review then. Overall I'm very pleased with the M3100. I chose this device because I wanted the Excel function. I have a little project at work which requires me to carry around Excel on some sort of device. Obviously a palmtop would do the job but I wasn't convinced the project itself would work so I didn't want to spend £300+ on a palmtop till the idea was proven. The M3100 was available from Orange if I changed my contract - this wasn't an issue as a side-effect has been toreduce my monthly call costs. I got the SPV for £50.

Size - it's 25% bigger than my Nokia 6230i. Now I've got used to it carrying the device in my pocket is fine. It comes with a nice leather case which protects it well but is useless if you want to answer a call. I don't have a bluetooth earpiece and suspect this wouldn't work anyway - the Sat Nav can't talk to the SPV when it's in its case. The case does fit very securely to a belt.

As a phone it's a bit cumbersome but as I get more used to it this is less of problem. I think much of this is down to change. I love the scroll wheel which lets you scroll through the phonebook, click and dial. Having up to 99 speed dials is very useful.

Battery life is around three days under business use conditions and switched on 24/7. Remembering to charge is a hassle. I'm used to a fully fitted car kit with a cradle so the Nokia was always charged. I don't want to plug in to the cigarette lighter as the Sat Nav is always plugged in there.

Car kit has to be bluetooth and I'm probably going to get the Parrot CK3100 - about £180 fitted. I'm told this will then do voice dialing etc so with the new laws this month I will be even more legal and hopefully safer.

Outlook - I can synch and carry the whole of my Outlook. I have my Outlook contacts sorted into folders - Suppliers, Customers, etc - the SPV appears to only be able to read the Contacts folder and not any of the sub-folders in Contacts. I had to re-organise Outlook Contacts but didn't consider this a big deal and I'm probably using Outlook more efficiently now as a result. I copied the people I knew I wanted on the SPV to contacts, the rest are on the laptop anyway

Bluetooth and wi-fi connections work well, though I have problems setting up the wi-fi to my new laptop. I think this is my inability.

I've done a little surfing and this seems to be OK. Nevr used one of these before to surf the web, in fact I nevr managed to get my Nokia to surf so the M3100 must be easier!!! I've yet to use it for e-mail as I haven't had time to set things up.

Activ-synch works well with all the MS stuff I've tried.

The camera, video camera and MP3 are more than adequate for me - but remember none of these is a big deal for me. Copying music is simple, plug into the USB, copy and paste.

Notifications of missed calls, texts etc could be easier to spot.

I find the QWERTY keyboard cumbersome but my 20 year old prefers it. I do my messages on the onscreen keyboard, the word recognition is powerful and learns without a prompt from the user. The handwriting recognition is very hit and miss as my writing is appalling. You really need to write like you were taught in primary school. The number recognition in Excel is excellent now I've educated it, being able to simply write on the screen suits my Excel project very well. A nice touch with the Qwerty keyboard is the way the screen flips round to landscape when you open the keyboard.

This is not as convenient as shoving a Nokia 6230i in your pocket BUT I'm carrying round all my important business contacts, my calendar plus a very important Excel doc. Once I've got other functions working for me, e-mail etc, life will be very simple. I like it. Screen text size is small for me, but then I need galsses to read the paper!

Hope that helps. I'll bring it with me to germany.

BTW - the Orange contract at £35 gives me 500 network to network minutes plus unlimited landline calls. We now use the SPV for all office calls rather than the landlines so that will be a big saving. Oh and you get Orange broadband for £5/month and unlimited landline calls at home as well. Hard to go wrong.

I pretty much echo what Paul and Ste b say about the Windows Mobile phones.

The M600 is nearly identical to the M3100 apart from the keyboard (which makes the M3100 about 0.5cm fatter) and the 3100 takes MicroSD cards whereas the M600 takes standard SD cards. Oh and the M3100 has a quicker processor (although I can overclock mine!). I have never had a problem with the stock speed though, Tom Tom still works perfectly. I think people who have tried skype over it have struggled though.

There is no problem at all with the touch screen. It's actually a softish plastic so not easily damaged and like Paul, I keep mine in the case which protects the screen.

When in the case, the Bluetooth works perfectly so I can make and answer calls without taking out of the pocket. Granted to make calls you really need another piece of MS software called voice command so that you can tell it any contact, home, mobile, work etc without even having to train it.

With regards to the M600 being obsceleted by the M700, that is true however they are having problems with the M700 which is delaying release. The only physical difference between the 2 is that the M700 has a GPS chip built in. This is actually what is causing the delay as the GPS causes the Phone radio to disable itself. There is talk of orange releasing the phone anyway with the GPS disabled and possibly releasing a patch when the issues are resolved. Again I believe the M700 has a quicker processor than the M600.

the Sat Nav can't talk to the SPV when it's in its case.

Not too sure what you mean there Paul. Mine can quite happily talk to the GPS device whilst in the case however I wouldn't be able to see the screen so there's not much point!.

I'm used to a fully fitted car kit with a cradle so the Nokia was always charged. I don't want to plug in to the cigarette lighter as the Sat Nav is always plugged in there.

I have a bluetooth GPS so nothing needs to be plugged into the phone. The only time I do is, as you say, it needs charging so I plug into the cigarette lighter.

Notifications of missed calls, texts etc could be easier to spot.

You must have turned the Orange call screen functions off as all my calls and text messages are shown up on their. There is also the usual "text" icon in the top bar for new text messages and the tape icon for voicemail. No different to any phone really. I actually find the missed call notification easier on the M600 than the old C500 smartphone as that would go full screen saying I had missed a call which doesn't go away until you've bothered to cancel it.

When in the case, the Bluetooth works perfectly so I can make and answer calls without taking out of the pocket. Granted to make calls you really need another piece of MS software called voice command so that you can tell it any contact, home, mobile, work etc without even having to train it.

I'll have to check that as the bluetooth APPEARS to not work so well when in the case

Not too sure what you mean there Paul. Mine can quite happily talk to the GPS device whilst in the case however I wouldn't be able to see the screen so there's not much point!.

I have a bluetooth GPS so nothing needs to be plugged into the phone. The only time I do is, as you say, it needs charging so I plug into the cigarette lighter.

I have a Tom Tom Sat Nav with a poor battery life of around 2-3 hours. therefore I have to keep the Sat Nav plugged into the cigarette lighter all the time. On occassions I've found the SPV and Sat Nav don't always talk when the SPV is in the case.

You must have turned the Orange call screen functions off as all my calls and text messages are shown up on their. There is also the usual "text" icon in the top bar for new text messages and the tape icon for voicemail.

Yes, yes it's all there but at 50+ my failing eyesight finds it difficult to spot, whereas a quick glance at the Nokia showed everything.

Tris I would happily recomend the M3100 on the basis of my experience to date. I'm not very au fait with all its technology and still have a lot to learn BUT I have been able to do everything easily if I took it step by step. This, I feel, is very important.

Cheers guys - all really useful.

Has anyone bothered to download msn messanger onto either the 600 or 3100? If so - any problems with it? The 700 has it already, but seems pretty simple to install on the older devices.

I've got it installed. Works a treat. It came as standard on the C500 so I've no idea why Orange decided to leave it off the last set of devices.

I've got it installed. Works a treat. It came as standard on the C500 so I've no idea why Orange decided to leave it off the last set of devices.

I imagine because its buried in the t&c's that you cant use IM services. I use www.ebuddy.com if i'm that bothered about contacting people on MSN.

On an aside, as anybody got any decent *free* apps.

I can certainly recommend Metro - For tube/travel information

Cricket Cast to view Englands complete humiliation

Used SPGB Gprs monitor which was useful, but the free trial ran out.

Biddy do you use a bluetooth earpiece? Can you - or anyone - recommend a comfortable, discreet good one. Price wouldn't be an issue.

Biddy do you use a bluetooth earpiece? Can you - or anyone - recommend a comfortable, discreet good one. Price wouldn't be an issue.

I'm afraid not. I've tried one (which is why I know it works) but hated it as they are too big, bulky and just look plain stupid (on me anyway).

I just use the hands-free earphone things which is fine when the phone is on the dashboard for the GPS anyway.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Jan 31 2007, 17:39) 485846[/snapback]

I imagine because its buried in the t&c's that you cant use IM services.

Nope, as you can use WiFi or dial-up or through Activesync to use Messenger so network bandwidth is not an issue. I actually believe it is because Microsoft now want you to pay for Pocket MSN which includes messenger. Look here for details. Orange did not want to absorb this cost so Messenger was left out.

I don't know if they have come to an agreement, if orange are now passing on the costs, or indeed if messenger is still not shipped with new models. Although going off earlier comments I presume they do come with it.

Thanks again for all the help.

SPV M600 getting delivered tomorrow - in the end decided not to wait for the 700 as the differences between the two are so minor (and one not to my advantage - I have a load of pics, clips and tunes on a 1GB miniSD which (in the adapter) is compatible with the 600 but not the 700).

Also, threatening to defect to T-Mobile after 11 years as an Orange customer had the desired effect - and their Retentions Department rustled up a pretty special deal thank you very much indeed kerching.

Biddy, when I find out I can't work the thing, you know who I'm gonna be asking for help!!! :P

• 1 month later...

So guys I'm into my upgrade period with Orange and I'm looking into a few options.

The SPV M700, you guys seem to be quite pleased with the SPV's and what they offer, the Blackberry Pearl, obviously does the e-mail stuff very well but is it all that, and the Sony W950I which I have had mixed reviews about but am drawn to.

I think the M700 offers more than any other with Sat Nav capability and stuff, is that right? What kind of costs are there on top of a normal contract to keep these kind of services up for those who use them?

So guys I'm into my upgrade period with Orange and I'm looking into a few options.

The SPV M700, you guys seem to be quite pleased with the SPV's and what they offer, the Blackberry Pearl, obviously does the e-mail stuff very well but is it all that, and the Sony W950I which I have had mixed reviews about but am drawn to.

I think the M700 offers more than any other with Sat Nav capability and stuff, is that right? What kind of costs are there on top of a normal contract to keep these kind of services up for those who use them?

The nokia N95 is due out very soon. Maybe give that a look? It has sat nav and a 5 mega pixel camera and it looks lovely.

What kind of costs are there on top of a normal contract to keep these kind of services up for those who use them?

I've had my SPV M3100 for just on 2 months now. For me there are two things you need to be careful about, especially if, like me, you are new to using a phone for web browsing, e-mail etc. I have a £35 all inclusive Racoon contract which is working very well as we have no additional costs on straight forward phone calls. I was surprised by how much I incurred on additional charges for WAP and GPRS services. The WAP is reasonably priced and not much to worry about but once you step out of the Orange WAP services the cost quadruples and becomes very expensive. You need to understand these costs before you start, I didn't and now realise a degree of care is needed rather than just treating it like broadband!!

Second point is this. My SPV is great, functions really well and does all it says on the box BUT I now know it doesn't suit me as an individual. I've gone back to my Nokia 6230i while I look for something else. I got the SPV because I wanted the Excel functions plus the Outlook integration is very, very useful. I'm on the move the whole time and need a phone which is quick and simpe to use, this doesn't describe the SPV. For example on my Nokia a call requires (all one handed) menu/* to unlock > Names > press key with relevant letter > scroll to name > Dial. With the SPV this needs: Find glasses (screen text is difficult for me to read) > using two hands > take out stylus > press button wait for phone to come out of sleep mode > hit contacts > decide on filter by name or company > select intial letter > scroll to name > hit dial. It takes about three times longer than the Nokia. I have 7/8 people I'm in contact with perhaps 8-10 times a day each. On the Nokia speed dial is that: from sleep mode to making call is three buttons menu/* to unlock > press and hold relevant speed dial button. Can't do this on the SPV.

My advice is think very carefully about the functions you REALLY need and how you actually use your phone. If you want/need to carry around what is effectively a small computer with a phone attachment and will frequently (i.e several times a day at least) use Excel, Word, E-mail, web browsing etc then the SPV is a great phone. If you just need a good phone and want occassional web access I'd consider something else. Don't let me put you off, the SPV is very good, the only thing I don't like is the slide out QWERTY keyboard, which is too small for me to use and always seems slightly loose. Just think carfeully about what you really need.

Later today I'm off shopping for a phone that is:

Fast and simple to use

Integrates well with Outlook Contacts and Calendar

Displays Outlook Calendar very clearly (for me the most useful part of the SPV)

Has clear easily readable text size

Capable of multiple, simultaneous bluetooth connections.....and I shall later buy a dedicated palm top. The Excel functions I need are only used once a week so why carry the kit around 7 days a week?

Hope that helps.

PS - had to get a new fitted hands free as a result of buying the SPV. In the end I went for the Parrot CK3100. This is an excellent piece of kit and truely hands free with good voice recognition - phone rings, say "Answer" it answers. want to call home "Home" and it dials. First installation was tricky and awful reception as Tris will testify, after the engineer fiddled a bit it's magnificent!

Paul, my Nokia N90 syncs with my outlook calendar and all of my contacts on the work laptop very well via bluetooth, it also syncs with my Mac at home, so all three always have the same information.

The way I have the 'front page' of my phone designed (you can personalise new Nokia's this way) is that it always displays the latest calendar events and that I can call up my contacts by clicking one icon.

I've had my SPV M3100 for just on 2 months now. For me there are two things you need to be careful about, especially if, like me, you are new to using a phone for web browsing, e-mail etc. I have a £35 all inclusive Racoon contract which is working very well as we have no additional costs on straight forward phone calls. I was surprised by how much I incurred on additional charges for WAP and GPRS services. The WAP is reasonably priced and not much to worry about but once you step out of the Orange WAP services the cost quadruples and becomes very expensive. You need to understand these costs before you start, I didn't and now realise a degree of care is needed rather than just treating it like broadband!!

For en extra fiver a month you can get a bundle which gives "unlimited" off peak access. Apparently this also means that during peak hour you cant run up a charge over 1.50 per day, but havent tested that theory.

Paul, my Nokia N90 syncs with my outlook calendar and all of my contacts on the work laptop very well via bluetooth, it also syncs with my Mac at home, so all three always have the same information.

The way I have the 'front page' of my phone designed (you can personalise new Nokia's this way) is that it always displays the latest calendar events and that I can call up my contacts by clicking one icon.

Sounds good Lee, thanks. Shop I was in earlier this morning pointed me to the same series so i shall do a little browsing later!

• 8 months later...

Anyone got on yet then? I have seen that if you get one from o2, you don't actually sign up for a tariff until you get home and sync with itunes. Which means you can go and buy the phone for £275 and take it home with no contract. It is then possible to get the phone unlocked(or do it yourself) and you then have a unlocked iphone with no pricey contract. This is what I have gaffered from reading a few sites briefly. Anyone know anymore about this? It's highly tempting! The iphone is a very sexy looking bit of kit, though I think my N95 kicks it's ass feature wise(iphone has no 3g, camera isn't great etc)

It seems, that you actually aren't being that naughty by buying the iphone from o2 , then unlocking looking at this forum: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654697 It seems to me £275 buys you the phone, you are supposed to register with itunes, but no one can legally stop you from going down the unlock route. Hmm, very tempting to pop into a apple store next weekend ;)

No, all phones can be unlocked assuming you are out of contract. This is why you can pay the likes of Orange etc abotu £20 to do it for you.

The only problem I can see with unlocking the iphone is that no one knows what future firmware upgrades might do. They wouldn't be allowed to cripple the phone but they could lock it back to o2. Then again, who ever upgrades phones?

I personally won't be buying one, stupid price for not a very feature rich phone. The "it looks good" doesn't do it for me.

To get the best out of the iPhone, you must be on a network with EDGE capability. O2 are currently spending millions upgrading their network to EDGE, circa 25% is currently complete, the rest will come in over the current months.

Vodafone and Orange also have decent EDGE networks, but have no invested the time in the technology that O2 have.

Archived