BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beckham Signs Five Year Deal At La Galaxy

Beckham will wind down his career in a fantastic city, decent weather, and a chance to be the man who starts a "soccer" revolution in America. And for the priviledge he'll be paid nearly £500,000 a week.

I know what I'd do. And to be honest, I don't think the merits of trying to help out a Blackburn or Tottenham or West Ham at a higher level of football outweigh them.

I think bellamy11 has hit it right on the head. Many of you across the pond (and I don't mean this in a derogatory way) see European football, and English football in particular, as the be all and end all of the sport. You would expect Beckham to come to back and play for Man City to prove himself once more at the highest level of football because that's exactly what you would do in his position. Hell, if I was English, that's exactly the way I would think.

But when you've already won the Premiership and the Champions League -- and your chance to win the World Cup is gone thanks to a manager who abruptly dropped you in what can only be described as a PR move -- then you've really got nothing left to prove in Europe. LA gives Beckham the chance to capitalize on his celebrity, watch over his football academy, and take on a challenge that few would dare: to make soccer popular in the United States. And even if he doesn't succeed at that -- and odds are he won't -- he'll still have a cool $250 million in the bank after five years.

As a sidenote... the biggest contract any player has signed (at least in the U.S., though I'd be surprised if there were a larger one elsewhere) was the 10-year, $252 million contract baseball shortstop Alex Rodriguez signed with the Texas Rangers a few years back. ARod has been struggling to outrun that albatross for years now. I know the marketing opportunities justify that size contract, but for Beckham to make the same amount in half the time is astounding!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beckham certainly was a world class player and I don't doubt that any side would be happy to have him, maybe not in their starting line-up, but certainly in their squad (wages aside). It is a shame to see him do it, but then as a player who has achieved much in his career and has nothing left to prove would any of us really turn down that amount of money and a lifestyle like that? We also don't know exactly what other offers were on the table.

I actually am a left back, and the thought of playing against either is enough to wet myself. :P

In all seriousness though, I agree with what bellamy11 said regarding McClaren dropping Beckham: it was done specifically to show that he could make his own decision and wasn't just Sven's clone. I read an article back when it happened that made the point that McClaren could have sat down with Beckham and explained that he was being phased out in favor of younger players, but that he would have the opportunity to play some friendly and qualifying matches to nurture the younger players and get to the 100 caps that he deserves as an England captain.

That would have been the best move for everyone involved, but since it didn't happen, it's clear that Becks will never get a sniff of an English shirt again, which makes LA that much more attractive.

Good time as any to make my first post.

I am over here in the states and this will be a big boost to MLS. More MLS than the Galaxy. Galaxy already do well drawing fans and such and making money. But now all their road games will probably sell out once he joins up. MLS will market him like crazy like they did/do with Adu.

Galaxy won the MLS Cup two years ago. They missed the playoffs last season though. They are still a good team that has a little bit of history. A couple MLS titles and a couple US Open Cups and a Champions Cup.

It is a lot of money though but he will bring in a lot of money to the league and maybe give a boost to the fanbase and maybe others will follow him over.

How does that chant go?

"Three grand an hour .... Three grand an hour"

I think I'd nip over the pond to play footy for that much.

At current prices, when he gets home he'll be able to buy 6 Championship clubs.

tbh you cant really blame beckham:

1. around £130 million over 5 years.

2. has his soccer school over there.

3. cam promote the game football in america for for the kids which he says is the main reason he's going.

4. will improve his celeb status in the hollywood enviroment .

5. is best buddies with cruise, p.diddy etc A list celebs.

6. makes his wife posh happy with the depth of shopping in the usa.

7. posh will probably get her own chat show or something.

8. england career looks finished as he's not getting selected in the squads.

9. has won several domestic trophies and the champions league so no desire really left in europe to succeed.

10. LA is an awsome place to live for his family and for his children to grow up in.

11. he's played for 2 of the europes or even the worlds biggest clubs in manky and real, why would he want to go to say spurs.

12. posh has her fashion shows and business in america.

At 31 beckham would still have alot to give at the highest level, both in domestic and international football imo.

the fact that he has chose usa is a decision made by his family as a whole imo as it suits all parties.

How does that chant go?

"Three grand an hour .... Three grand an hour"

I think I'd nip over the pond to play footy for that much.

At current prices, when he gets home he'll be able to buy 6 Championship clubs.

It could be the Beckham league.

At first I thought what a sell out, bought like a piece of meat, obvious talent just left to waste. When there are those desperate to play at the highest level but just don't have the capacity.

But you have to say in his position 5 years of mega money, big fish little pond, showboating galore, superstar status Vs. the JJB in rain sleet and snow with galeforce winds slowly detoriating in ability and getting all the media crap that goes with it. And a much lower paid swansong after it.

It's wrong but I'd do it.

It's wrong but I'd do it.

It's not wrong at all.

We're talking about a player who has been there, won that. Premierships, a Champions league, been to three World Cups.

Of course he is going to an amazing city for 500k a week. Added to that he will probably enjoy the football anyway as the league is far better than most on here are giving it credit for.

As an American, I'm going to voice the other side of the arguement on our side of the pond.

I'm deathly afraid of this move. Seeing as the teams in the MLS are largely still tied at the hip financially, a contract of this size is INSANE for a league LOSING MONEY!!!! I can't wait to see how much of his money is tied into the merchandising, but in the states, his merchandising not tied to the team is his own money, not the clubs, I'm not sure how the Galaxy and MLS expect Beckham's name to draw the league and club $50 mil / year. Just to finance this one move, the league better sign a big time TV Deal.

Right now, if I were an oddsmaker, I'd be putting the over-under on the MLS going bankrupt (like the NASL, and the women's MLS) at 3 seasons. Sad, because even though the MLS is not prem quality, its still the best and most public version of the sport available, and now, its set to disappear, perhaps.

As far as trying to judge the level of the MLS, the English equivalent brought up before is probably close, some of the better games would be right at home in the championship. However, the STYLE of play is massively different. the MLS teams play a wide open, end to end, almost spastic style of play. its sloppy, but its high paced, as many of the player make up for talent and technical ability with pace. IMHO, Becks is a bad fit on the wing for any MLS team, due to the sheer end to end action style that the teams like to play. I'm guessing ESPN will have a load of Beckahm puking on the pitch clips (like the latest WC) to play on sportscenter in the next few seasons. Also wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to a more central midfield spot.

I read that the league itself only pays a tiny tiny part of his wages (Saw the figure $400k / year mentioned somewhere. And they'll recoup that straight away). Also, it is inevitable that they'll secure some TV deals, and consider what a fan base Beckham has in China, Japan, Korea, Thailand etc. and that should be worth a lot. Then there's income tied to shirt sales and other merchandise, not to mention the extra media attention which leads to higher attendances and so on.

I think this'll be great for the MLS and soccer in America, and I think it's a very calculated move; I doubt they'd give him that kind of contract if they didn't already know they'd recoup most of it, and have good reason to believe they'll make a profit. What could be worrying though is other clubs trying to get "their own Beckham" and pay over the odds for players without the same star power. Although I'd hope they learned from last time this started happening.

I don't think it will really do much for the MLS. They have had big players towards the end of their careers before and as this is for such a huge amount of money no one will take it seriously. The fuss will die down a couple of weeks after he has made his debut and will be totally gone once he has retired.

Yeah the league is only paying $400K of his salary and rest is paid by the team. I really feel this will help the league. Some teams that struggle to sell out games will at least sell out a game featuring him. MLS will market him like crazy. They may use this to even leverage a better tv deal. Granted I honestly don't see that happening though. Unfortunately the tale end of the MLS season is during the begining of NCAA football which takes up a lot of tv time. The rest of the season is during baseball season which of course takes up a lot of tv time. ESPN played more games last season I believe though.

I don't think it will really do much for the MLS. They have had big players towards the end of their careers before and as this is for such a huge amount of money no one will take it seriously. The fuss will die down a couple of weeks after he has made his debut and will be totally gone once he has retired.

Of course it will die down after a while but overall it will improve the recognition of the MLS throughout the world and it will be seen in many more countries. Expect Sky to pick up some rights for it soon. Coverage of La Liga increased throughout the world after Beckham went to Madrid. Sky had covered it before in a rather low-key manner but suddenly sharpened up their operations (and having to pay more money) thanks to Beckham's move. A surprisingly large number of journalists were sent to Spain solely to follow Beckham's progress.

You also mention that in the US they "have had big players towards the end of their careers before" which misses the point as Beckham isn't just a "big player" but a global marketing phenomenon. In fact his profile is unique in the history of football worldwide.

Mokoena's biggest fan mentioned that it is shocking Beckham gets so much compared to Henry. Then again...that misses the point too. Beckham isn't paid all that money because of his football skills...but because having him means huge publicity and lots of money to be made all round. :tu:

Excellent deal for the MLS and I expect it to go from strength to strength. Beckham should do well too and if it means the league has to grow and have their players stop running around like headless chickens all the time then so be it.

What has he got to stay in Europe for? Not like SuperMac is gonna pick him for England again is it? :P

Archived