BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beckham Signs Five Year Deal At La Galaxy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beckham will wind down his career in a fantastic city, decent weather, and a chance to be the man who starts a "soccer" revolution in America.

I think that George Best was one of the first to start the 'soccer' revolution in America. No one of real significance springs to mind follwed this transfer move and died back down. It seemed to be quiet until the World Cup of '94 and they have made progress since and think this marketing ploy will do them the world of good.

I doubt they'll let clpped out 40 year old drunks like George Best in.

Billy as much as i've been a fan of your comments in the past, this is by far one of the most snide and total disrespectful comments that I've ever read here. What good does it do for yourself to sl@g off a person who is dead? He was certainly in the top three world footballers of all time.

Regardless of nationality, it's hideous to come out with something like that. I might be told to dry up and say it's only a joke, but this is an absolue sick way of making fun!

- - - - - -

All in all, great money making move from Benckam's point of view. He will have the chance to look over his investments in America, but an absolute shame that he finished his high-profile career so early. At least he finished his playing days at his only english club on a good note!

Well in a way we will never see him so far off his best as some other players push their careers a bit too much.

Im sure Beckham realizes that he is past his peak and that he wont have an England chance with McClaren in charge and that means at least 18 more months and by then he would be too old anyway.

I seriously believe that being dropped from England was the most impactful factor in him going to the States rather than playing elsewhere in Europe.

Yeah the league is only paying $400K of his salary and rest is paid by the team. I really feel this will help the league. Some teams that struggle to sell out games will at least sell out a game featuring him.

Are you sure? Will a sellout crowd really turn up to see a European soccer player ply his trade? He may be famous in Thailand and Japan but will enough apathetic Americans join their hardcore compatriots to watch a guy they've sort of heard of play a sport they have no interest in? I'm not convinced that one player will turn the tide in the US, no matter how famous he and his bird are.

Are you sure? Will a sellout crowd really turn up to see a European soccer player ply his trade? He made be famous in Thailand and Japan but will enough apathetic Americans join their hardcore compatriots to watch a guy they've sort of heard of play a sport they have no interest in? I'm not convinced that one player will turn the tide in the US, no matter how famous he and his bird are.

From the DC United boards, the team sold 200 season tickets this afternoon after the Beckham signing was announced. Appaerntly some of the other teams in the league were having similar effects including the new expansion team in Toronto, which is happy enough just to have a franchise in the league where (ice) hockey still rules.

(On a related note, from the news I'm hearing, not many of these sudden season tickets are from Brits)

The DC front office has also informed us that our annual marquis matchup against Beckham's new team will be later in the season so that we get the honour of seeing him at our ground. Whee. If anything, I'm disappointed because this will detract from our usual taunting of other members of the LA squad, particularly Landon Donovan and ex-United player Santino Quaranta (who will be the player dropped when beckham joins the squad). It's also surprising because LA has excellent success away at DC, giving the home side some of our worst home losses here. Alas.

I guess since DC is one of the few franchises that can keep the ground filled (or close to it) for most matches, we are rewarded with a definite sellout - at least for 2007. And television money to boot.

And last - season tickets across the league were also up a significant amount when Freddy Adu joined, especially in DC (where he played for 3 years - moved to Salt Lake City this transfer period). so this isn't necessarily a reaction just to Beckham for Beckham's sake.

More than a couple have their own grounds now. MLS is moving towards everyone having soccer specific stadiums. As someone pointed out there are increases in tickets just today. I heard somewhere else that LA got swamped with calls for tickets. I think that teams that don't always sell out their games will at least sell out their games against LA once he is there. Adu brought attention to the game and increased some tickets so Beckham definitely will. I wish I had the extra cash to make a trip to Chicago or Kansas City to watch a game once he joins. Maybe I should save up. In which case I would rather watch him play against DC since that is who I support.

More than a couple have their own grounds now. MLS is moving towards everyone having soccer specific stadiums. As someone pointed out there are increases in tickets just today. I heard somewhere else that LA got swamped with calls for tickets. I think that teams that don't always sell out their games will at least sell out their games against LA once he is there. Adu brought attention to the game and increased some tickets so Beckham definitely will. I wish I had the extra cash to make a trip to Chicago or Kansas City to watch a game once he joins. Maybe I should save up. In which case I would rather watch him play against DC since that is who I support.

Good Choice. DC United has the best fan support, and best supporter experience in MLS, by far. DC United averages more fans per game than the NBA Washington Wizards, and the NHL Washington Capitals.

DC is currently playing in an old NFL stadium, but they close the top level for DC United games. It makes for a cozy lower bowl "capacity" crowd of 25,000. And it's loud.

I expect they would open the upper bowl of the Stadium for the game v LA Galaxy and Posh. I would expect 40,000 for that match.

What numbers constitute a sellout? Are the teams still playing in American Football stadiums? I know there's a couple of sides with their own grounds.

For DC - who presently plays in an old American football stadium - the max caacity if using the full stadium is 55,000. For most (proper) football they only use the lower sections of the stadium and a DC Untied sellout is 24,500. On occasion they've been known to open portions of the upper part of the stadium, or as a place for away supporters to stay as the DC is one of the few teams with an actual vocal and active supporter contingent

The new stadiums completed for teams in the lague are generally 25-30,000

3 teams (Chicago, Kansas City and New England) still also play in American football stadiums, but I don't know if they close off part of the stands - I'm inclined to say no

LA and Chivas USA (based in LA) share the same ground at the "Home Depot" Center

FC Dallas plays at "Pizza Hut" Park

Columbus plays at (conveniently named Columbus) Crew Stadium

Colorado plays at "Invesco" Field

NY, DC, Salt Lake City and Toronto all have new stadiums i the plans or under construction

I have no ercollection of where Houston (the current league champion) plays, but I don't believe it's specific to (proper) football

NY, DC, Salt Lake City and Toronto all have new stadiums i the plans or under construction

I have no ercollection of where Houston (the current league champion) plays, but I don't believe it's specific to (proper) football

Dont they play at the Cougars Stadium? Capacity of just over 30k?

Good Choice. DC United has the best fan support, and best supporter experience in MLS, by far. DC United averages more fans per game than the NBA Washington Wizards, and the NHL Washington Capitals.

DC is currently playing in an old NFL stadium, but they close the top level for DC United games. It makes for a cozy lower bowl "capacity" crowd of 25,000. And it's loud.

I expect they would open the upper bowl of the Stadium for the game v LA Galaxy and Posh. I would expect 40,000 for that match.

Been a fan since MLS started. Granted I live in the middle of the US and probably should have gone with KC who is closer or Chicago when they joined but for some reason I liked DC and I sure did pick a winner. One day I will make it over for a game.

Now if St. Louis ever gets a team I may have to switch sides. ;)

They currently play at Robertson Stadium, but I believe that they are planning to build their own stadium.

I think they do plan on it. I think it was part of the deal of moving to Houston.

I think that George Best was one of the first to start the 'soccer' revolution in America. No one of real significance springs to mind follwed this transfer move and died back down. It seemed to be quiet until the World Cup of '94 and they have made progress since and think this marketing ploy will do them the world of good.

Billy as much as i've been a fan of your comments in the past, this is by far one of the most snide and total disrespectful comments that I've ever read here. What good does it do for yourself to sl@g off a person who is dead? He was certainly in the top three world footballers of all time.

Regardless of nationality, it's hideous to come out with something like that. I might be told to dry up and say it's only a joke, but this is an absolue sick way of making fun!

- - - - - -

All in all, great money making move from Benckam's point of view. He will have the chance to look over his investments in America, but an absolute shame that he finished his high-profile career so early. At least he finished his playing days at his only english club on a good note!

What was that one fella's name, er a little known brazilian he played in America, unlike Best he was not only a mercurial talent but he saw his career through and is and has been an ambassador for the game, yeah that's it PELE, ever heard of him.

I don't take Billy's comments to be disrespectful. I don't beleive it to be too far from the truth. Best had a disease that ultimately robbed the World of a phenominal player. It is however a disease that can be mastered, if you want to. I have mixed feeling sof George Best always have.

Didn't that German Becken something or other also play over here?

I could give a toss about Beckham here, the Americans will turn out a few times and then there attention will turn elsewhere, quickly. Now as for the Asians, they may continue to show, there are after all millions of 'em.

just read on the bbc website sports page, that he has gone to the usa not just for the money.

for me this is what is wrecking football, if he has not gone for the money then why the high wage. come off it at least be open about it.

I am SO excited.. I became a Galaxy fan two years ago when I moved here to LA (my first local team!) and I never would have imagined that this deal would happen.. I think that this signing will greatly improve the team, and force the rest of the league to improve as well.. I'm not English, so I'm really not understanding the anti-Beckham attitude that seems prevalent, but I think it's great that he wants to be the pioneer of raising the credibility of MLS.

I can't wait to see Donovan and Beckham together.. and I'm pretty sure Quavas Kirk will be dropped instead of Quaranta. I'm only disappointed in that the season starts in April but Becks won't arrive till July/August.. ah well I'll survive :D

About the MLS becoming NASL part two, I don't think that will be a problem. MLS are only paying $400,000 of his salary, and I've heard that LA are only paying him 3 to 10 million a year.. apparently the huge number being reported is due to the fact that LA is allowing Beckham to control his image rights..

I was crossing my fingers for Beckham to join either Los Angeles or Blackburn, so pleased that it's happened!

If Beckham had enough about him, he would want to come back to the Premiership for 2-3 seasons with a Newcastle, Spurs, Pompey, Bolton, Blackburn or whoever and prove he can still do it at Premiership level. Then swan off to America at 34 or 35 having re-established his star again.

He obviously doesn't have the same sort of desire that drives a Shearer or a Giggs or a Zola to do it year after year even though they don't have to. His wife obviously has had a crucial input as well and it's probably the best move for "Brand Beckham"

Whoever is paying him 20m p.a. plus over five years at this stage of his career is clinically insane. I can't see him lasting more than 2 seasons, he'll get completely bored with the moderate standard of competition and decide he wants to pursue his various outside interests.

Can't say I entirely blame him, if I had 75m already in the bank, I don't think I'd be too bothered about proving myself yet again either.

If Beckham had enough about him, he would want to come back to the Premiership for 2-3 seasons with a Newcastle, Spurs, Pompey, Bolton, Blackburn or whoever and prove he can still do it at Premiership level.

No he wouldn't because his life is very different from the usual footballer.

It started off when he married his Spice Girl and since then he has been on planet celebrity. Comparing him to Giggs and Shearer is chalk and cheese. Shoot it like Shearer? Glide it like Giggs? They just wouldn't work would they? Footballers may be big stars to us but in the wider picture they are small fish...Beckham is off for a bigger slice of the pie.

The guy is living proof that football is no longer a working man's game but a branch of the entertainment industry. Good luck to him but the whole career has been rather distasteful. A matter of style of substance...and that is coming from someone who thinks Beckham has come in for way too much unfair criticism.

For the most part, the capacities are as mentioned. Some places get larger crowds for certain events, like Colorado who sell out on the 4th of July every season (65-70k).

Occasionally LA will play at the Colliseum which holds about 90-95k for soccer. They have sold out a couple of times, usually combining with exhibition matches. My guess is they will move the Galaxy home opener and the Galaxy/Chivas USA matches there to capitalize on Beckham.

New England holds about 65k, but usually only sells certain sections.

It's all fantasy ###### and does anybody really care anymore other than tabloid writers? The guy has been good BUT not that good and imo has always been well overated. He could not hold a candle to the likes of Tugay never mind Zidane, Ronaldinho or even Ronaldo Mk 2. The figures being bandied are such that if that sort of money really was available then proper players in their prime would be approached and that isn't happening is it? He is a burned out has-been on his last big pay day and any future bunce will be down to stupid marketing ploys designed solely to seduce worldwide hordes of numpties who know sweet FA about the game of football into parting with their hard earned!

It certainly wont happen here will it?

Like Revidge said.. he doesn't have to prove himself to anybody, he's been a very successful player. He's not the best player in the world, not even close, but he's a very good player.

And although he is a world celebrity, I think he is very professional about his football. He puts in 100% whenever he plays, and he is super fit (which can't be said about many footballers who let the fame get to their head). He said that he's not moving to LA for the money and frankly I believe him. LA will not be paying him as much as he was on at RM.. although it is true that he will rake in bazillions of dollars on commercial ventures.

Beckham has played for Manchester United and has won many honors.. I can easily see why he would rather be the man who takes American soccer to the next level rather than play for a midtable Prem club in a vain chance to make the England squad again.

No one gives Larsson stick for trying to raise the level of the Swedish league.. True Beckham isn't American, but he can't really help raise the profile of the Premier League can he? Anyway, it seems like we like him better than you English anyways :P

You know for as big a name as Beckham has you WOULD think he would have gone back to prove him self, but i mean some one offers you 250 million US and then offers you a place to stay out here in the states you have to think hmmm... Money and play football in a place where i can look like a "god" or go back home and prove that he still can do it at a level thats much higher then that of the USA. Although i do live in LA and have been to many Galaxy games (was there on opening day!) When he comes to town i WILL not go and spend my hard earned money to help the MLS pay for a way over priced football player. I just think that ppl will go for the first 3-4 games to watch him play (which is fine) but then lose intrist and focus back on which Hollywood super start is getting arrested or is calling jews or black ppl bad names. Although i cant be mad at him for gettin his, I still wont go to see him play. :brfc:

Archived