BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do We Really Need A Riot?

ABBEY

stu - think someone's been b*llsh*tting you - the stewards were in the box at the church ministers request, he felt compelled to complain to club after the money we had paid for the box, meal and drinks. this was because glass was covered in spit.

i think all of us had a go on the charity draw and i reckon put good money into brfc coffers - to be rewarded with that kind of abuse just for applauding one's team is sad after what happened in italy last week.

Grandad, thanks for your comments, the person who is bullshitting me (or otherwise) is the person named in this thread as the stadium manager.

Unfortunately, the residents of the box you are in are not especially innocent, the young man at the very left of the box for example in the stripy shirt, stood there swilling his bottle of lager (Im too far away to know the brand - not to mention the crap eyesight) pointing at fans giving a varuiety of lovely hand signals - although he looked very sheepish in the second half. Several other fella in the box thoroughly enjoyed making offensive gestures. I have no doubt whatsoever that they received more back as a result, given that they were attempting to goad several hundred people behind a large glass screen its expected.

Im all for a bit of banter at football games, its brilliant, but I am firmly of the opinion that several of the people in that box firmly over stepped the mark.

Thank you for coming on here and sharing your views, it is interesting to read them.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have taken away fans to watch Rovers and sat them in the home end, knowing they are not stupid enough to cheer when their team scores.

You got a window full of spit because you were a stupid, antagonistic and abusive away fan in the home end. You wouldn't have gestured and antagonised the home fans had you not been secure behind your little window.

Feel free to turn up next time and get yourself a seat in the home end - I'm sure you can be suitably educated in football etiquette.

the problems referred to arose when we applauded our equaliser. immediately, abuse, cutthroat signals, spitting at glass and vile obscenities were launched towards the box. :angry:

hmmm so you didnt give abuse the other, very interesting that is, there was on guy, a fat guy with black hair, that was giving it large, and a guy in a pink shirt

we have some photos of the morons that the club might be interested in

brilliant, because ive already sent five pics of you lot in, close ups , giving the v`s and ###### signs, involving 4 different people in your box

Jesus christ folks what the hell is going on

Is like school yard arguing my dad is bigger than your dad scenario ffs.

i've got photos of you .. oh yeah I've got photo's of you nah nah

As I posted earlier why bother either way.

The antics from either side of the glass are just a joke it was a football game with people getting over excited.

Grandadblade , I agree with your comments re the people drinking scenario and the mindset in some people (seen it happen at other clubs) but from what I saw it was a bit more than that that got the reaction from an area of the stadium with the more passionate and vocal of the Rovers support. However, this does not condone the childish reactons that ensued from either side including those in the seats at the darwen end after the match - something that you will be no doubt well aware of and is not uncommon for the Blades and the BBC.

Stu - If I was you I would be questioning the peers of Mr Newsham about his capability of doing the job (previous problems inclusive) which you have previous experience of dealing with him I believe.

i was in the exec box you refer to as a guest of an american lady who came to see one of her heoes brad friedel,

after the money we had paid for the box,

These two statements would lead me to believe we are not talking about the same boxes, as the two in question are by my understanding, not available for match by match rental, but rented out to organisations on a much longer term basis.

Unless of course the staff at these organisations were selling them on to people.

This tale reminds me of the story posted on here about the family of Noel Brotherston being spat on and attacked in the Blackburn End. Pack mentality i'm afraid. Clearly there has been some winding up on both sides and behind the main home end this is not acceptable. However, showering the box with spit? Dear god are we animals or what? If away fans get caught in home ends and they are taking the mickey then by all means the stewards should have them out. But I don't understand the obsession with people piling in and hurling abuse and spitting at them.

In the case of Brotherston's family they were not even away fans but once the mob has started who listens. People need to have a look at themselves at times they really do.

This tale reminds me of the story posted on here about the family of Noel Brotherston being spat on and attacked in the Blackburn End. Pack mentality i'm afraid. Clearly there has been some winding up on both sides and behind the main home end this is not acceptable. However, showering the box with spit? Dear god are we animals or what? If away fans get caught in home ends and they are taking the mickey then by all means the stewards should have them out. But I don't understand the obsession with people piling in and hurling abuse and spitting at them.

In the case of Brotherston's family they were not even away fans but once the mob has started who listens. People need to have a look at themselves at times they really do.

And as the church minister would say ...."amen to that" Manc.

btw this minister bloke was complaining about 'spit on the glass'?!? Good grief! Now he knows how his congregation feels during Sunday communion! :D

Some people are hardly civilised if that's the way they collectively think and behave. Rovers should find out who the main culprits are and ban them. Never mind about reducing attendance still further. There are far more important issues than that. :angry:

Some people are hardly civilised if that's the way they collectively think and behave. Rovers should find out who the main culprits are and ban them. Never mind about reducing attendance still further. There are far more important issues than that. :angry:

Sadly Fife a reflection of certain Society areas we live in nowadays.

We all lose our head now and again with some of us developing a red mist (or is that just me) but the post from Manchester Blue explains it all- it was a football match and some people need to take a good look at themselves.

Usual sanctomonious crap from the PC brigade. Ban the Rovers fans cause thier scum and don't have good jobs....

Its football its supposed to be emotive, so yeah over reaction might happen on the spur of the moment but I'll take any one of those passionate few over you sit down, keep quiet, and clap John Stead's equaliser brigade..... god you people make me sick - what has happened to our great game and stalwart support?

- what has happened to our great game and stalwart support?

All seater stadia and the attempts to create a game devoid of any atmosphere and passion. Mainly as the game became fashionale since Euro 96 it has moved from being a working class persons game to one the middle class "prawn sandwich" fans go to to be entertained. Its certainly a reason why I enjoy away games and the european matches far more than home games now as the emphasis there is on having a few beers, a laugh with your mates, and hoping Rovers win and Burnley lose.

Its not going to change back though, and its fair to say that most of the changes are for the better.

god you people make me sick - what has happened to our great game and stalwart support?

OR - do we take it you where one of the clowns upset by a few reactions and obcenties from a group behind a window or just as I would prefer to see it getting behind the team and giving stick/ banter etc?

what has happened to our great game - see the Crowd debate thread

Stalwart support - personally I think its still there, muzzled a little (at home) but enough to give good backing especially away as Ste B states - however we do appear to have attracted alot of should we say passive PC supporters rather than passionate but then vice versa alot of should we say numpties as well.

OR - do we take it you where one of the clowns upset by a few reactions and obcenties from a group behind a window or just as I would prefer to see it getting behind the team and giving stick/ banter etc?

Theres a good point there, sometimes the group who do stand in that back corner seem to want do dish things out to a) stewards, b ) people in glass houses, c) other Rovers fans.

It would be far more constructive if they started singing some rovers songs instead of "stand up and support your team", because theres a good few fans who would join in with something constructive towards the team.

I was "upset" on Saturday CK, and Im not a clown.

And Im more than happy to engage in banter and stick, and support the team to the best of my lungs ability (barring interference from you know who!)

I was "upset" on Saturday CK, and Im not a clown.

And Im more than happy to engage in banter and stick, and support the team to the best of my lungs ability (barring interference from you know who!)

Upset at what though Stu?

A bit of mouthing (maybe a bit more) and reactions from opposition fans in a corporate box?

Yes it works both ways but come on, each set of fans was widing each other up - my question is why get so wound up about people in a box? What's the point about the Photo's all about.

I understand the situation that they probably shouldn't be there but its a football game, and when it comes down to acting like total numpties (both sides) what are people suppose to think.

As I have posted earlier, some of the replies posted on here are just nothing short of childish behaviour fuelled from what totalled to be another siege mentality scenario on Saturday. Its just when things are not exactly a ok on the pitch, for some reason hostility is directed towards the boxes - sometimes even when Rovers fans have been in there..

I know you mean well and I respect your view and admire your effort to get something done about it but you have got to admit some of the stuff that has been said is just people throwing their dummy out.

As for the clowns - this was directed as a groupage not individually, and apologise sincerely if it did , however it surprises me as you seem to me to be very articulated with some common sense , but the way you seem to have taken umbrage to it would suggest even yourself needs to think about what happened.

As mentioned before, I am no whiter than white and occassionally enter the red mist syndrome and have taken exception myself to people in the boxes previously, but thats been it end of once the game has finished.

I know you mean well and I respect your view and admire your effort to get something done about it but you have got to admit some of the stuff that has been said is just people throwing their dummy out.

As for the clowns - this was directed as a groupage not individually, and apologise sincerely if it did , however it surprises me as you seem to me to be very articulated with some common sense , but the way you seem to have taken umbrage to it would suggest even yourself needs to think about what happened.

As mentioned before, I am no whiter than white and occassionally enter the red mist syndrome and have taken exception myself to people in the boxes previously, but thats been it end of once the game has finished.

I quite agree with a lot of what you put Stu, and yes it is the end of once the game finishes - and it isnt away fans in boxes that irks me, specifically - its the handled of those situations by the club, and specifically the silly threats made to people on the outside and NOT people on the inside who are safely tucked away. I have no issue with anyone in a corporate box I am firmly of the opinion that football is a game of two teams and banter - its what makes it great at the end of the day. However there is a line, and I am of the opinion that line was crossed on Saturday.

I've been into the club this morning and spent an hour with John Newsham, a very constructive hour I might add, we had a number of things to discuss as we have been trying to meet for some time. The clubs policy on away fans is that they are permitted in the boxes (as they should be), but that the issue of being too obvious is covered for those people looking out onto the more vociferous areas. They also are supposed to find out when the box is booked if there are away fans present - so they can keep an eye on the situation. On Saturday, the person/persons booking the box had told the agency that it was the date they were bothered about not the opposition, so no was expecting a box full of away fans to turn up, and for whatever reason it wasnt detected until they scored. Which added to the problems as things were allowed to develop unattended rather than dealt with swiftly - which is when the line was crossed (by people from both sides I agree).

And I know you werent calling me a clown!

some common sense

:lol:

I quite agree with a lot of what you put Stu, and yes it is the end of once the game finishes - and it isnt away fans in boxes that irks me, specifically - its the handled of those situations by the club, and specifically the silly threats made to people on the outside and NOT people on the inside who are safely tucked away. I have no issue with anyone in a corporate box I am firmly of the opinion that football is a game of two teams and banter - its what makes it great at the end of the day. However there is a line, and I am of the opinion that line was crossed on Saturday.

I've been into the club this morning and spent an hour with John Newsham, a very constructive hour I might add, we had a number of things to discuss as we have been trying to meet for some time. The clubs policy on away fans is that they are permitted in the boxes (as they should be), but that the issue of being too obvious is covered for those people looking out onto the more vociferous areas. They also are supposed to find out when the box is booked if there are away fans present - so they can keep an eye on the situation. On Saturday, the person/persons booking the box had told the agency that it was the date they were bothered about not the opposition, so no was expecting a box full of away fans to turn up, and for whatever reason it wasnt detected until they scored. Which added to the problems as things were allowed to develop unattended rather than dealt with swiftly - which is when the line was crossed (by people from both sides I agree).

And I know you werent calling me a clown!

:lol:

Fair do's Stu , but I'm still of the opinion that if the line was crossed, it was from both sides.

Anyway, well done on the meeting with JN

Usual sanctomonious crap from the PC brigade. Ban the Rovers fans cause thier scum and don't have good jobs....

Its football its supposed to be emotive, so yeah over reaction might happen on the spur of the moment but I'll take any one of those passionate few over you sit down, keep quiet, and clap John Stead's equaliser brigade..... god you people make me sick - what has happened to our great game and stalwart support?

It's this kind of post more than any other that really irritates me. PC means two things, politically correct and personal computer. Neither of which apply to people complaining about people spitting and attacking people in a mob which was my gripe and agreed with by a few others.

If you think that is acceptable you're a clown, and if you think i'm PC because I don't accept it you're an even bigger clown. Capt. Kayos rightly pointed out that people overreact in the spur of the moment. Some of what has been decribed on here, and especially the Brotherston incident cannot be justified in that way. Answer me one simple question. Do you think it acceptable to spit at and attack someone because you think they are an away fan in the home end?

Archived