BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Away Ends

English Division 2 (old)

Carlisle 0 (0) - 1(0) Blackburn

At Brunton Park on 29-08-1983

Just checked on Soccerbase, I thought it was earlier than 1985. I was there and we took thousands. And yes it did kick off after the match. Rough old days those.

That match had a crowd of 4,470 - doesn't sound like a huge following to me. Alternatives could be 19-3-83 but we lost that 3-1 and the crowd was 4,756. Perhaps it was 29-12-76 when there was a crowd of 8,852 but that result was 1-1. Nostalgia - it's not what it used to be is it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That match had a crowd of 4,470 - doesn't sound like a huge following to me. Alternatives could be 19-3-83 but we lost that 3-1 and the crowd was 4,756. Perhaps it was 29-12-76 when there was a crowd of 8,852 but that result was 1-1. Nostalgia - it's not what it used to be is it?

Hmmm.

English Division 2 (old)

on 23-12-1984

It must have been this one then which ties in a bit more with berkshireblues date. What was the gate on that one?

Hmmm.

English Division 2 (old)

on 23-12-1984

It must have been this one then which ties in a bit more with berkshireblues date. What was the gate on that one?

Well according to Jackman it was 10,730. That fits better with the original Berkshireblues image; well spotted Bob!

The match was played on a Sunday, to avoid clashing with christmas shopping. The attendance was around 10,000 and a bit, with probably half of that from Rovers. The away end was an open terrace, with sections caged off along the end. To the right, there were two stands along the side of the pitch, and the trouble occurred sporadically throughout the match, and afterwards too. The main kick off happened at half time, when fans just ran acroos the corner of the pitch and started laying into each other. Slight improvement on pubescent cheerleaders I suppose. A Carlisle fan was indeed hit with a slab of concrete, and subsequently died. At the next Rovers game, on Boxing day against Leeds, the police handed out printed appeals for witnesses to the incident.

The match was a 1-0 away for Rovers, Faz scoring a penalty into our end. As Bob says, it was pretty rough back then. As I posted last year, the next time we played at Brunton Park, I travelled up on the football special train, which crashed on the way back-some reckoned it was sabotagued at Carlisle station by Cumbrians looking for revenge for the death at the previous encounter.

I have a clippings book from this period, which is still in my loft somewhere-when I can be bothered I will get it out, and scan the police appeal and match reports from the time.

Hmmm.

English Division 2 (old)

on 23-12-1984

Ah - I went backwards in Jackman rather than forwards...

The match was played on a Sunday, to avoid clashing with christmas shopping. The attendance was around 10,000 and a bit, with probably half of that from Rovers. The away end was an open terrace, with sections caged off along the end. To the right, there were two stands along the side of the pitch, and the trouble occurred sporadically throughout the match, and afterwards too. The main kick off happened at half time, when fans just ran acroos the corner of the pitch and started laying into each other. Slight improvement on pubescent cheerleaders I suppose. A Carlisle fan was indeed hit with a slab of concrete, and subsequently died. At the next Rovers game, on Boxing day against Leeds, the police handed out printed appeals for witnesses to the incident.

Although getting there in plenty time, due to the fact there was only one turnstile at the away end open, I didn't get on the ground until half time. The queue was huge. I remember taking part in a 325 a side footy match on the cinder car park at the back of the away end. :tu:

Could have sworn it was post xmas never mind but the crowd was over 10k I remember and was as pointed out over half rovers.

I was 16yrs and went with a group of middle aged blokes from The Duke of York , Waterside and Hoddlesden

The slab of concrete came over my head and the guy it hit was just shaking on the ground, not a great memory..

We played in yellow Faz tucked away the penalty and the fighting was at regular intervals with raiding parties into each other's end

Right-been in the loft and finally found my scrap book. Theres some classic stuff in there, will scan stuff in as I can be bothered. All from season 84-85 ish.

This is the Guardian report from the Carlisle match, which was highly unusual for us in them days. The top three were us, Oxford and Portsmouth and next to this report was a splendid David Lacey piece on how evocative the top of the second division was at the time. Hope this won't be a copyright issue though (22 years ago now).

carlisle_report.jpg

OK-The summer looks remarkably boring with no real matches for a few weeks, so I propose to transcribe my scrapbook from 84-85 season onto a blog on here. I will do a match at a time, not every match is covered though and if anyone wants to add comments on it (if this is possible) please feel free to do so. In fact I would encourage it.

Can somebody in moderators or admin let me know if it's OK to scan in the newspaper reports from the day and post them onto the blog also. May start either tonight or in the morning! (depends on how much of that Reserve Shiraz I can manage :unsure: )

Hmmm.

English Division 2 (old)

on 23-12-1984

Thats the one, I remember it well, it was the last time I was home at Christmas.

Archived