BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Away Ends

There's no doubt that grounds prior to the Taylor Report and the advent of being all seater were better in the atmosphere stakes. Where now is the Leazes End (sp?),( indeed I bet a lot on here don't know where it was), the Lever End (ditto), the Longside, the Bloomfield Road Kop, and so on.

There have been some great away days following Rovers over the years, none more so than Anfield in 1995. But just imagine that, instead of having an all seated following of 3,000 that day, it was 10,000 on a cavernous terrace with a superb roof, standing of course. What then would the atmosphere have been like?

Taking account of our following, the End, the atmosphere etc and not just the result, my best 5 have been :-

The Longside, Turf Moor - mainly the 1977 Boxing Day game but also many, many more in the 70s and early 80s. Fans side by side, cavernous roof, great acoustics.

The Town End, Deepdale - 1974 nil nil the year we topped Div 3, absolutely rocking and packed to the rafters.

Chaddy End at Boundary Park - Actually the home end but Rovers took it circa 1973/74 and both sets of fans were side by side under a large, low roof similar to the old Darwen End.

Gigg Lane - Not massive, but a smaller version of the old Darwen End with wood terracing towards the back. Again, absolutely rocking for the promotion game.

Baseball Ground - FA Cup game 1975 (ish) On the side, covered and below a concrete stand above, thousands of Rovers fans packed in like sardines, we got beaten but showed a top Div 1 side what a proper away following was like.

Jeez, those were the days and never to be repeated. Now we get allocations of 1-2000 and usually don't sell out. We sit there, get told to sit down by the stewards, have to listen to a frigging drum and are only able to belt out two or three songs, usually "Mark Hughes' Blue & White Army."

I've probably missed out several like WBA in the cup, Peterborough when we had the league liner, Anfield in the league cup around 1980, Halifax and an absolute invasion cira 1973 and so on.

What were (or indeed still are) your favourites. :brfc:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is simply no comparison between the Rovers followings of old and now.Vociferous,passionate sometimes unruly......pity those not old enough to have experienced the atmospheres now sadly consigned to the history books. Que the 'but we have better facilities now' brigade. :rolleyes:

Stokes old Victoria ground @ '87 and our long unbeaten run comes to an end,Oldham away the same year and outnumbering the home fans on that open terrrace.Huddersfiled and Barnsley always saw a good following too.

Whilst I'm happy for Morecambe, their promotion will change the way of watching Rovers reserves at Christie Park.

Going to Christie Park, was like stepping back in time, to an era that a lot of you wont remember, when at half time the fans changed ends so that they could be behind their own keeper throughout the game.

Now that they have got into the league Morecambe will have to install segregation fences.

Sorry to get off the thread, but the half time change over at half time at Ewood and at away grounds was all part of the ritual of following the team.

There's no doubt that grounds prior to the Taylor Report and the advent of being all seater were better in the atmosphere stakes. Where now is the Leazes End (sp?),( indeed I bet a lot on here don't know where it was), the Lever End (ditto), the Longside, the Bloomfield Road Kop, and so on.

There have been some great away days following Rovers over the years, none more so than Anfield in 1995. But just imagine that, instead of having an all seated following of 3,000 that day, it was 10,000 on a cavernous terrace with a superb roof, standing of course. What then would the atmosphere have been like?

Taking account of our following, the End, the atmosphere etc and not just the result, my best 5 have been :-

The Longside, Turf Moor - mainly the 1977 Boxing Day game but also many, many more in the 70s and early 80s. Fans side by side, cavernous roof, great acoustics.

The Town End, Deepdale - 1974 nil nil the year we topped Div 3, absolutely rocking and packed to the rafters.

Chaddy End at Boundary Park - Actually the home end but Rovers took it circa 1973/74 and both sets of fans were side by side under a large, low roof similar to the old Darwen End.

Gigg Lane - Not massive, but a smaller version of the old Darwen End with wood terracing towards the back. Again, absolutely rocking for the promotion game.

Baseball Ground - FA Cup game 1975 (ish) On the side, covered and below a concrete stand above, thousands of Rovers fans packed in like sardines, we got beaten but showed a top Div 1 side what a proper away following was like.

Jeez, those were the days and never to be repeated. Now we get allocations of 1-2000 and usually don't sell out. We sit there, get told to sit down by the stewards, have to listen to a frigging drum and are only able to belt out two or three songs, usually "Mark Hughes' Blue & White Army."

I've probably missed out several like WBA in the cup, Peterborough when we had the league liner, Anfield in the league cup around 1980, Halifax and an absolute invasion cira 1973 and so on.

Oh boy! This has really stirred some memories for me. The one's I have highlighted I was there, although you don't say which particular season for Gigg Lane. I was there twice; first time about 1955, and second time was a pre-season friendly (I think) some time in the '70s.

That match against the Dingles on Boxing Day '77 was fantastic; the Longside was rocking with Rovers fans as was the Cricket Field End, but for me the best bit was when at half-time Jim Smith came out and conducted the Rovers "choir" on the Cricket Field End. Oh happy days!

I also have fond memories of going to Port Vale for a night match which Rovers won and sealed promotion from Div 3 in '75; There were so many Rovers fans on that it seemed like a home match as we took over the entire ground (or so it seemed).

Another from the 3rd Div era, and again a night match, was a visit to the Shay at Halifax which also was like a home match for us Rovers fans. Great memories! Footie just ain't the same anymore!

My dad tells a story of the night at the baseball ground, he took a large bottle of champagne on the ground but never got to pop the cork because we got beat. When they left the ground it was the usual battle royal at Derby and despite all Rovers fans eventually going one way, my dad's mate went the other and he arrived home 3 days later with a police caution in hand. What he did for 3 days nobody knows but he was there and it goes down in Rovers folk law.

Just another mention for said person, he followed Rovers home and away from the 60's till the mid 80's, not a more loyal fan could you meet. Until one day he was battered on the Saturday by some away fans and put in hospital, broken ankle was the prognosis.......we were playing Palace on the Tuesday night and he signed himself out despite the doctor remonstrating. Off down Bolton Rd he hopped and paid his hard earned money, and took his usual place on the Blackburn End. Under Bobby Saxton he watched Ian Miller play high balls into the box against 6ft 6inch Mickey Droy for 5ft 6 inch Simon Garner......... We lost and he never went to Ewood again as a Rovers fan.............

As for Halifax, he said many Rovers fans didn't bother even going in the ground because you could watch the game from the top of the buses and the away end was full to capacity.

From my perspective Everton away in the cup in 85? Was a wonderful experience and I always remember Barnsley away late 80's twice we took over the ground and town, happy days........

Just another mention for said person, he followed Rovers home and away from the 60's till the mid 80's, not a more loyal fan could you meet. Until one day he was battered on the Saturday by some away fans and put in hospital, broken ankle was the prognosis.......we were playing Palace on the Tuesday night and he signed himself out despite the doctor remonstrating. Off down Bolton Rd he hopped and paid his hard earned money, and took his usual place on the Blackburn End. Under Bobby Saxton he watched Ian Miller play high balls into the box against 6ft 6inch Mickey Droy for 5ft 6 inch Simon Garner......... We lost and he never went to Ewood again as a Rovers fan.............

More fool him! He's missed the Walker years! ..... the best bit of BRFC history since we won the FA cup 3 times on the bounce. Lots of people just the same ... claim to have been die hards but in reallity their interests have simply moved on a pace and they are simply making up excuses to 'get off the bus'.

btw Boxing Day was great BUT 17/12/01 at t'turf was the best ever! :lol:

Hell Clayton youv'e got me all nostalgiac. I was at the games you mention Derby, Peterborough.

I liked Blackpools cop. Also have fond memories for Hull and Hudderfield,s old grounds.

More fool him! He's missed the Walker years! ..... the best bit of BRFC history since we won the FA cup 3 times on the bounce. Lots of people just the same ... claim to have been die hards but in reallity their interests have simply moved on a pace and they are simply making up excuses to 'get off the bus'.

btw Boxing Day was great BUT 17/12/01 at t'turf was the best ever! :lol:

I wasn't there in 01 but I would argue the point. Boxing Day was fantastic, from about 8am until the wee hours of the morning.

You picked out some great games there Clayton. I did all that you mentioned bar Peterborough. I could tell some tales about some of those games, especially Deepdale, the Turd and the Baseball but rather than get slagged off, I'll just keep quiet.

Premier League away games are all the same and far too expensive.

My favourite away day is Blackpool, there you can make it into a proper day out.

I could tell some tales about some of those games, especially Deepdale, the Turd and the Baseball but rather than get slagged off, I'll just keep quiet.

Come on Aggy, sneak a couple of tales in, nobody'll bother....... :lol:

I'd forgotten about the Kippax which was always good (and dangerous with the coins flying over) and the away end at Portman Road was decent although our followings there were never that big. Wolves was ok and before they redeveloped Wrexham, the end there was fairly big but very low - you could jump up and touch the metal framework.

The worst ones were always the open terraces - took thousands to Bolton, especially in 1973 when there were 33k on and also we had 5k at Eastville when we failed to get promotion but beacause they were 'open' the atmosphere was never as good as it should have been. :brfc:

My first away game was the Boxing Day 3-2 win at t'Turd in 77. We walked down the path by the side of the cricket ground and could see into the Longside and it was a bouncing sea of blue and white! Even though I was a nipper I felt so proud and was gutted to be going in the Cricket Field Stand. Even so there was more of us in there than the Yahoos!

I would have loved to have been a Rovers supporter in the 70s or 80s.

:(

Same! Its sad to think we'll never experience the likes of what people are discussing on here.

I guess the closest we've come is PNE a few years back when we got promoted

Same! Its sad to think we'll never experience the likes of what people are discussing on here.

On the contrary.... it'll be bloody sad for us all if you ever do! :rover:

BUT

I've a horrible feeling he bad days will return sooner than most people currently think ....... :unsure:

I guess the closest we've come is PNE a few years back when we got promoted

Believe me it wasn't all great. Roofless decaying terraces, sterile football, dwindling gates, fear and even death. Post Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough it actually felt like the game was dying.

It always seem to rain, snow and be blowing a blizzard at Oldham.

Heck I hated that place.

Used to love the pre season away trips to Rochdale though. Ash Terraces that had grass growing on them meat pies left over from the previous season.

Great thread CLB - it prompted me to get out my Simon Inglis book of the old grounds last night.

I think you have nailed the top 5, although bubbling under I would add a couple of trips to Meadow Lane: the first when they pipped us to promotion under Ken Furphy and the second an FA Cup tie in King Kenny's first season when Speedie got sent off. Plus a trip to Grimsby when we went up from the 3rd - first game of the season I think. Dodgy walk back to the station along the seafront.

Although the ground was a shambles, I always enjoyed our trips to Halifax in the early '70's. The train station was right next to Mackintosh's toffee works....Mmmmm...toffeeeee.......

Unfortunately I'm too young to remember the "glory days" that most of you are referring to. However, Derby in the 92 play offs and Burnley in 2000 will always stand out for me.

Walking towards Turf Moor, you could feel the tension in the air and I've never seen so many coppers in one place as outside the away turnstiles! The concourse under the stand was jam-packed, the way i remember it is with people hanging off the walls high above! Then the match went perfectly well, with the defining moment being Payton being taunted into making an obscene gesture as he walked towards us. Happy days....

Hi Exiled - How's it going? This sort of topic brings all the old 'uns out and it's great to look back from time to time.

I was at the Meadow Lane cup game when we got beaten. Another massive following that night but being on an open end the atmosphere was only 'so so.'

That Grimsby game at the start of the 74/75 promotion season that you mention was some experience - not that we won 2-1 if I remember rightly, but because of the fighting etc from the station to the ground and back again after the match. Going to the ground was not that bad although a train load of 500 Rovers fans was more than matched by a group of 20 to 30 Grimsby skinheads. Most of the Rovers fans left about 20 mins before the end to attempt to get back to the station in one piece, me included (was I with you & Chris etc ?). I have never been as scared in my life and the 2 mile walk/run seemed to take forever. I have been to Grimsby since and never experienced an ounce of trouble but that day in 1974 will stand out as my most terrifying away trip of all - and I've been to West Ham, Chelsea, Birmingham, Newcastle and many more that could be classed as 'no go.' :brfc:

Unfortunately I'm too young to remember the "glory days" that most of you are referring to. However, Derby in the 92 play offs and Burnley in 2000 will always stand out for me.

Walking towards Turf Moor, you could feel the tension in the air and I've never seen so many coppers in one place as outside the away turnstiles! The concourse under the stand was jam-packed, the way i remember it is with people hanging off the walls high above! Then the match went perfectly well, with the defining moment being Payton being taunted into making an obscene gesture as he walked towards us. Happy days....

Speaking of taunting the Dingle's players: Anyone remember the match at Ewood when Leighton James had to be subbed off in tears as the BBE and a good few others continually sang "Leighton James is a homosexual" interspersed with "Leighton's wife is on the game again"?

Thinking about it now, I can't understand why the ref didn't stop the game and have an announcement made that he would abandon the match if the crowd did not cease this disgraceful chant.

Archived