BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Goal-line Technology

I read on the BBC website today that Reading are going to test this with the youth team matches.

CLICK

I think it's vital but also belive we need video replays as well for off the ball instances etc.

What's your view of the situation and the action taken by Reading?

Yeh, I think, (well, actually know), that the "goal" against the Hammers cost us vital points and I hope we get through the Intertoto because otherwise West Ham will have lost us a season in Europe.

But at the moment...

SMALL TOWN IN EUROPE! WE'RE JUST A SMALL TOWN IN EUROPE!

SMALL TOWN IN EUUURRRROPE! WE'RE JUST A SMALL TOWN IN EUUURRRROPE! :rover:

Yes but only for 'did it cross the line'. Not for penalties, sendings off etc...

Agreed. If the technology is reliable then surely there is no downside to having it? And we're not talking video replays or the like I assume, just some sort of sensors?

No, we won't go crazy after a goal, we'll have to stop for a while like in Rugby or Cricket. Just leave it as it is. Don't change the beautiful game.

What makes you think that? It'd be exactly like now, except that in the dubious cases (Such as the West Ham game or England v Germany in '66) the ref could actually be sure. It could simply be that the system plays a sound in the ref's ear piece if the ball crosses the line, something to aid his vision.

What makes you think that? It'd be exactly like now, except that in the dubious cases (Such as the West Ham game or England v Germany in '66) the ref could actually be sure. It could simply be that the system plays a sound in the ref's ear piece if the ball crosses the line, something to aid his vision.

I've seen it before, the fans have to wait and cheer, whilst without it we all just go crazy. If it doesn't take the ######, like even a minute then i don't mind.

Replays in football can be just like they used to be (are?) in ice hockey as opposed to American football. Just keep playing the game given the ruling on the field while someone reviews the play and makes a final decision. No need to stop the game.

I think a team should get one challenge a game (like Tennis) made by the captain, if he is right on the replay then they have a right to challenge another decision, if they are wrong they lose any opportunity to challenge the rest of the game.

This should be for all decisions in a game. Besides this whole time thing is a touch silly, how much time is wasted at free kicks, penalties, out of play, goalkicks, injury time now. Another couple of seconds to run a quick replay to ensure the correct decision won't impact that much.

I just can't see this ever happening. Do you think that the big money people in the game are ever going to allow their grip on the game to be jeopardised by referees having to make 100% correct decisions in every controversial incident? This would risk the "very big clubs" not getting away with all the things they presently do get away with. No way will it happen!!!

I've seen it before, the fans have to wait and cheer, whilst without it we all just go crazy. If it doesn't take the ######, like even a minute then i don't mind.

We are *not* talking about video replays or anything like that ffs. It will be the same as now, only more accurate. Even as it is now the ref has to signal for a goal, and so we see celebrations for disallowed goals for offsides/fouls etc sometimes. This system would be instant, meaning that when the ball crosses the goal line a signal is given to the ref, who can then signal for goal. In 99% of the cases it won't matter as there's usually no doubt whether the ball has crossed the line or not, but what it would do in the other 1% of cases is let the ref be certain about it. In our case it'd have meant getting a draw against West Ham.

Here are the criteria for the system, as laid down by IFAB:

# That technology should only apply to goal-line decisions.

# That the systems must be 100% accurate.

# That the signal to the referee must be instantaneous

# That the signal is only communicated to the match officials.

Thus, there wouldn't be any waiting around. In fact it'd be faster than now, since there'd be no need for the officials to discuss whether it crossed the line or not. Would also allow them to look more closely at other things happening, any potential fouls etc.

What, so when Tugay hits a screamer in to the top corner we won´t all go mental just in case the ball didn´t cross the line? :blink:

How many goals in a season may or may not cross the line for a club? 1 in 20, 1 in 50? Either way it´s a very straight forward thing to implement and should have been done years ago.

I cannot see a reason not to have this technology, presuming it is absolutely accurate.

I also think that video replays should be available to referees when brawls take place and when players go down in the box. I also think that referees should be forced to watch video replays whenever they are to give a red card. In all three circumstances, except some penalty shouts, the game will have already been delayed. It would solve so many problems in the game and prevent, to some extent, supporter apathy.

Either way it´s a very straight forward thing to implement and should have been done years ago.

Pray tell - how straight forward ? I reckon the engineering is pretty difficult or it would have been done years ago - remember this has to be foolproof - all it will take for one missed goal and it will never be trusted again

Jimbo, you're forgetting that they've been using the same technology in cricket for years when the ball can be travelling at 90mph. They also have a very similar system operating in tennis. If these two sports, which involve far, far less money and have far less of a fan base, can implement it, then why the hell can't the FA or FIFA?

The technology used in tennis (magic eye) and test matches (camera) are not compatible with goal line technology covering such a large area as the whole of a goal mouth. They need something that will detect as soon as the whole of the ball crosses the line and transmits a signal to the ref, otherwise it's pointless. chipped balls are the way to go, but as I say the one time it fails it will discredit the whole experiment. I really hope they do get something in place, then you could extend it to the whole of the touchline and maybe even players - no more linesmen as we'd all know when the attackers were offside.

# That the signal is only communicated to the match officials.

Hmm that interesting.

On the face of it this seems entirely innocent but there is still scope there for a 'bent' ref to ignore the signal and carry on play. The best way is for a 1 to be added to the appropriate team on the scoreboard as soon as the signal is sent to the referee. That way the ref knows its a goal immediately, but more importantly so does everybody else.

Hmm that interesting.

On the face of it this seems entirely innocent but there is still scope there for a 'bent' ref to ignore the signal and carry on play. The best way is for a 1 to be added to the appropriate team on the scoreboard as soon as the signal is sent to the referee. That way the ref knows its a goal immediately, but more importantly so does everybody else.

Presumably all the match data would be stored on a system log file, easy enough to double check any incdents later.

Transmitting a signal to all four match officials should make the system 'bent ' proof.

Presumably all the match data would be stored on a system log file, easy enough to double check any incdents later.

Transmitting a signal to all four match officials should make the system 'bent ' proof.

You forget how they all lie to back each other up...

Does anyone know what happens in ice hockey? There's a big light that flashes when the ball crosses the line. How does that work? There's technology involved, is there?

In any event, I'm all for it and don't see what the problem is.

To be honest I wouldn't mind instant replay officials in booths in stadiums relaying decisions, when required, anyway. For example, for the people worrying about the game stopping, he could review decisions whilst the players are rolling around the pitch in feigned agony. That wouldn't encroach upon any game time and, let's be honest, he'd still have enough time to make himself several nice cups of tea every game as well.

Pray tell - how straight forward ? I reckon the engineering is pretty difficult or it would have been done years ago - remember this has to be foolproof - all it will take for one missed goal and it will never be trusted again

Why so much pressure on getting a decision right by video replay yet we let these donkeys every week make wrong decisions and nothing but a simple "ho hum"

Ultimately getting the decision right is the most important thing

Does anyone know what happens in ice hockey? There's a big light that flashes when the ball crosses the line. How does that work? There's technology involved, is there?

I don't think that's due to technology, as they in addition to that also have video evidence. I've seen the big light flash and then seen the refs reviewing video evidence.

Oh, and it's a puck, not a ball ;)

It is a combo of technology and a man (or woman?) sitting behind the net with a button. They do have a good replay setup, though. Everything is done through a central video room that looks at all close calls. If they determine it was a goal, they go back to the time it was scored and nothing that happened after counts. Usually the answer is within a minute and accurate.

I think what has made me think so much about it is what they are going to introduce at SW19 (Wimbledon for all you non-tennis fans ;) ). If the hawk-eye system is successful, which it was at Queens, then I think all sports which don't have it will begin to take notice. :rover:

Archived