• Bentley
    • Savage
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • Santa Cruz
    • Derbyshire
    • Ooijer

Wenger slams violent Dunn

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger today issued a further attack on Blackburn Rovers by hitting out at the "violent" shot from David Dunn which gave Blackburn an equaliser in the second half. Wenger said: "It was a disgraceful act of violence which could have damaged Jens Lehmann's fingernails."

The Arsenal manager said: "Instead of Dunn passing the ball gently to Lehmann, he chose to hit a long-range violent shot which upset my goalkeeper for the rest of the match. I think Blackburn's violence is totally inexcusable. David Dunn didn't care about Lehmann's feelings when he struck the ball violently. It could have hit Lehmann on the face. It could have wounded him. Blackburn are a disgraceful violent team."

The Arsenal manager was also unhappy with the handshake from Mark Hughes at the end of the match. Wenger said: "Hughes gripped my hand a little bit too tightly at the end. I thought it was another act of violence," said the limp-wristed Frenchman.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: Great post AESF!

It really annoys me that Arsenal feel they have to resort to going to ground at every opportunity and a bit sad when their manager complains of rough tactics. Fair enough, try and win the free kick, but don't roll around for ten minutes afterwards. It really was a disgusting attempt to break our rythm and to wind down the clock.

Like I said before, Arsenal were a shadow of their former selves and, after yesterdays antics, I am very happy to see that demise continue.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger today issued a further attack on Blackburn Rovers by hitting out at the "violent" shot from David Dunn which gave Blackburn an equaliser in the second half. Wenger said: "It was a disgraceful act of violence which could have damaged Jens Lehmann's fingernails."

The Arsenal manager said: "Instead of Dunn passing the ball gently to Lehmann, he chose to hit a long-range violent shot which upset my goalkeeper for the rest of the match. I think Blackburn's violence is totally inexcusable. David Dunn didn't care about Lehmann's feelings when he struck the ball violently. It could have hit Lehmann on the face. It could have wounded him. Blackburn are a disgraceful violent team."

The Arsenal manager was also unhappy with the handshake from Mark Hughes at the end of the match. Wenger said: "Hughes gripped my hand a little bit too tightly at the end. I thought it was another act of violence," said the limp-wristed Frenchman.

:lol:

Superb smithy .... That deserves a much wider audience! Anyone we know who might be able to offer suggestions? ;)

Alot of what I want to say has been posted already but I just want to say something after the match!!

What a great game. I thought we had by far the better of the opening exchanges. Their goal was very dissapointing. It was not so much that Brad did not hold on to the ball - it was point blank range - but rather that we seemed to have so many chances to get the ball to safety but did not manage it. I then thought that they had a period when they were on top. I felt that it was a case that if it had been nil - nil, we would have been quite relaxed but it was seemed so difficult to get a goal back. I thought it was great however the way we pulled ourselves back into the game and the goal when it came was thoroughly deserved. Wenger must have known that that was the case. I was very pleased for Dunn. I thought that it was a mistake to bring him back. I was wrong and am really glad that I was. He looks like he could be the real deal.

It is difficult to know whether the pain of having to listen to the Arsenal fans rub it in for 60 minutes was worth the joy of watching their dismay when we equalised. Probably it is. ( We sit at the Darwen end of the Jack walker stand and it has its advantages ).

Lastly, delerious that we have signed Santa Cruze. i just hope that Benni is motivated by playing along side him and he scores a hatful of goals again

We stuck it to `em........& they didn`t like it!

top marks Rovers!! :tu::tu::tu::tu:

I had an exchange of views with a couple of whinging gooners in the Fernhurst after the game. They said it wasn`t a game, it was an assault. I told them not to be so effin soft. Football used to be a mans game & Arsenal are just a bunch of molly-coddled primadonnas. I also told them they`d win sod all with that bunch of lightweights.

I think they miss Viera so much because he was the only player outside the back four with any physical presence that would put his foot in.

I also have to say that I am shocked by comments from Wenger and Arsenal fans about "assault" and "violence." I thought we played just as we do week in, week out, which isn't much different from many other teams in the division, in terms of discipline and tough tackling.

I think the 'assault' and 'violence' quotes particulerly from Wenger is more Psycological to the teams they are coming up against in hope that they dont follow Rovers example of taking the game to them and putting a foot in where it matters. He knows his teams weaknesses and he knows that others will see how to combat them. Hes hoping that by manipulating the press to give us the bully boy tags that other teams lay off the physical approach in fear of being tagged.

Nelsen got a second yellow. That equals a one match ban and neither yellow counting towards five.

A bit concerned about my pick of Arsenal to come second- or perhaps Rovers really are rather quite good. Everton A, Chelsea A and Citeh H and we will have a better idea.

PS Very perceptive post by tcj- and not just because I think Matty D really is the biz at this level.

Quality!

Sounds like the sort of think Bob Fleming would write.

The gap left by the retiring Mr Fleming has to date been left unfilled ....... ;)

What plonkers get to write newspaper column s nowadays. Jon Colley in the Independent reporting on the physical side of Sundays game.......

"But this is an Arsenal side much less intimidated by the physical nature of some of their rivals than previous models. In Kolo Touré they have a centre half as likely to give a good, old-fashioned shoulder charge as Nelsen." :o:lol:

.....Rest of report in similar vein.

JHC what a plonker! Nothing quite as dangerous as a good old fashioned shoulder charge is there?

At least when teams play Rovers they will certainly know they'll have been in a game and that Rovers will not back down from anyone or roll over and die. Be it against the southern softies or otherwise.

:rover:

My God if Styles is getting dropped for his performance at Liverpool Chelsea surely Wiley deserves to get dropped too.

We should organise a petition to stop him refereeing our matches as he clearly has it in for us - 8 red cards in 6 years for Rovers players! Plus look at the Samba goal / handball that never was, he could see the ball was coming to an unmarked Samba and blew up BEFORE he put it away - I certainly couldn't see any other "foul".

On the plus side it sounds like the "We Believe" prices has worked wonders, I felt very homesick listening to the crowd in the 2nd half on Radio Rovers...

My God if Styles is getting dropped for his performance at Liverpool Chelsea surely Wiley deserves to get dropped too.

That is the annoying thing. The only reason Styles got dropped was because he made a mistake in a "big" game. Had he given the exact same decision in a game between Rovers and Wigan for example, noone would even care and after Sunday morning on goals on sunday, noone would be talking about it.

That is the annoying thing. The only reason Styles got dropped was because he made a mistake in a "big" game. Had he given the exact same decision in a game between Rovers and Wigan for example, noone would even care and after Sunday morning on goals on sunday, noone would be talking about it.

They would if he had mystefyingly disallowed an Arsenal equaliser or allowed Brad to walk into his own net with the ball.

btw that bit was confirmed on the big screen... I thought controversy was avoided in these situations?

I'm still amazed that to my knowledge it has not been picked up on by the press/media! Surely this is a first such incident in a generation.

Archived