• Warnock
    • Bentley
    • Savage
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • Santa Cruz
    • Derbyshire
    • Ooijer

I just get too irritated by Arsenal to enjoy playing them. Our get stuck in approach and their diving/simulation/time wasting are like oil and water.

As to the game itself, Dunny put in a terrific last 20 mins and made his luck with the goal. Contrary to popular opinion on this board, I really think that Savage, for all his strengths, fatally weakens us as an attacking force. He did nothing today to create, and I don't think if we have aspirations for top 6 we can afford a central midfielder whose only real contribution is to wind players up. The wingers get no service because central midfield isn't creative enough. We came good when Hughes moved Bentley into the middle for the 2nd half and did without a right winger, then all our good stuff was through the middle.

Samba and Santa Cruz were excellent for me, both give us something we haven't had for a long while, real power in the air.

I though Brad had his worst game for ages. Very soft goal, two reckless charges to the edge of the area where he missed the ball both times and they could easily have scored, and two free headers for Senderos from 3 yards out.

Still, 4 points from two games that could very easily have yielded none is a good start.

Completely agree with you about everything here, except I missed the first 20 mins so didn't catch the goal or Friedel's charges..

I'm afraid that we've outgrown Savage.. which is a real shame since we bought him for 3 million, and it would be nice to make full use of him. Maybe he's still recovering from his leg break, in which case I'll give him more time, but I didn't think he was very useful out there at all, and I'm really surprised he didn't get sent off (although some of the "fouls" he committed were nonexistant to me). I was begging for Hughes to put Mokoena on for most of the second half until I realized he wasn't on the bench..

I found it very hard to pick a MOTM because no single player really stood out to me, it was just a great team effort. Every player was committed (although Santa Cruz was completely unflappable up front, completely laid back :lol:).

I like Van Persie as a player only when I'm watching the highlights... but when we actually come around to playing Arsenal, I dislike him and Hleb immensely..

Must say, the second half made me proud and made me feel like we earned the point rather than had it "gifted" to us as the match reports say.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well im happy with the result. I would have like to see a win but hey what you gonna do?. I have to say that i was a little dissapointed with the bobble in front of goal by Big Brad, to me seemed like an easy ball and should have at least for a keeper of his caliber been routine. Samba looked strong and warnock played well. Was it me or were we losing the balls out of bounds all game when we should have controlled it pretty easily? I also think lehman is looking for some time off with this bumble of the ball and the gift goal that he gave to Fulham last week. Over all I do think that we could have won the game we were strong and except the last 5-8 min of the game we seemed to shut Arse down. I do have to say that RVP was being a little cry baby about every little thihg and IMO should have been sent off or at least carded for the dumb challanges he had in the second half.

Thoroughly entertaining stuff to watch in the bar- must have been great to have been at Ewood yesterday.

A lot of work still needed to be done on the defensive unit and I think agricultural hoofs into row Z are needed at times (their goal being one). That said, the four defenders individually were excellent.

Really impressed by the way we took over midfield in the second half and great to see JAL having a good game and getting his alter ego's name on the score sheet (sorry couldn't resist- well done Dunn, you can really advance from a great performance like that).

Santa Cruz was impressive and I was glad Matty got a start in a game as big as that one - bound to help him develop.

Wiley was poor but has been rescued by Stiles from all the headlines that should have been going his way. According to the BBC, Wiley has now sent off 8 Rovers players in 6 seasons! The man is clearly biased against us.

We know that Rovers are going to give the Top 4 a really competitive game every time we encounter them this season. In fact there seems to be a general levelling up in quality from what I've seen so far so expect the Top 4 to be whingeing very soon as every Prem game they play turns into a battle royal against opponents with no little skill.

Fantastic showing by the Rovers crowd at Ewood and with Citeh next up in the Prem, great atmospheres are going to feel like the norm.

PS Does match day chat not work any longer? We have five pages of match day chat on this thread.

Can anyone tell me why we didnt get a pen from the samba shot? It seemed to me that he left his marker, had a shot and it was handled on the line to which Arsenal are awarded a free kick?

I was confused at that one

(couldnt find it if this has already been talked about by the way)

As a new season ticket holder at Ewood, that was a cracking game to watch with a brilliant atmosphere. It was great to see Dunn looking sharp and dangerous again.

As a non local supporter, and for future reference, where is the best place to get a drink before the game?

As a non local supporter, and for future reference, where is the best place to get a drink before the game?

I like to grab a bite to eat in the Postal Order in town and then get a taxi to the Aquaduct round the corner from the ground (not that I am a local of course so there are probably better places)

I'm afraid that we've outgrown Savage.. which is a real shame since we bought him for 3 million, and it would be nice to make full use of him. Maybe he's still recovering from his leg break, in which case I'll give him more time, but I didn't think he was very useful out there at all, and I'm really surprised he didn't get sent off (although some of the "fouls" he committed were nonexistant to me). I was begging for Hughes to put Mokoena on for most of the second half until I realized he wasn't on the bench..

Rubbish! Some people really are blinkered in selecting their favourite likes and don't likes are'nt they?

According to stats in the Daily Telegraph Sav completed more accurate passes than either Flamini or boy wonder Fabregas. He certainly covered more ground and held more influence over proceedings by closing opponents down quickly before they can put their foot on the ball and play. Sav distracts the opposition by his harrassing and his wind ups, both legal btw and to us against billy big timers it's a valuable and viable asset.

Begging for Mokoena to replace him? Thats a good one. :tu::lol:

Rubbish! Some people really are blinkered in selecting their favourite likes and don't likes are'nt they?

According to stats in the Daily Telegraph Sav completed more accurate passes than either Flamini or boy wonder Fabregas. He certainly covered more ground and held more influence over proceedings by closing opponents down quickly before they can put their foot on the ball and play. Sav distracts the opposition by his harrassing and his wind ups, both legal btw and to us against billy big timers it's a valuable and viable asset.

Begging for Mokoena to replace him? Thats a good one. :tu::lol:

Couldn't agree more! Whilst Savage may be as useful in the attack as Dunn, Bently etc, he is always the first to stand up to the opposition and generally force them into rushed passes for other players to take advantage of. We would never be able to play a high tempo game without him, or someone of his character.

Great point yesterday and a pretty entertaining game IMO. The ref was awful but he gave some shocking decisions our way which were blatantly Arsenals, especially one goal kick which was a corner for the Arse. What made me laugh though was when any Arsenal player went down he stopped play and called for the medics yet Bentley went down at one point and he told him to get up :blink:

One thing I noticed was Walcott went down after a pretty strong challenge and jumped straight back up, no rolling around etc etc. Well done theo :tu: If only the rest of your team were more like that!!!

Well played again Rovers, keep it up and we could be in for a fantastic season :rover:

All the match previews are now being moved to messageboard gold, once they have disappeared from the front page of the main messageboard. This allows people to read and comment on the full collection at any time and also allows people to vote on any MOTM until the end of the season.

Agree with most comments on here. Voted for Nelsen though it was a straight red (and 3 game ban not 1) so we got lucky with some poor refereeing.

Rovers best football occurred when Bentley went and played in the hole (roaming) with Derbyshire covering the right. We seem to play through them then. I know Hughes tried this at Vetra, Preston and Boro and it seemed to work well each time. Emerton really helped give us attacking options down the right too.

Good performance. Fair result would have been 2-1 Rovers. Roll on Everton where I think we will win. Just hope McClaren keeps his job.

Good performance. Fair result would have been 2-1 Rovers.

And it would have been had The Artist converted that chance he had late on. He hit the side netting when I reckon he'd have hit the bottom corner nine times out of ten.

Agree with most comments on here. Voted for Nelsen though it was a straight red (and 3 game ban not 1) so we got lucky with some poor refereeing.

I don't think it was. Emerton was coming around so he wasn't really the last man. Deserved second yellow, but I would have thought it would have been a bit harsh had it been a straight red.

And it would have been had The Artist converted that chance he had late on. He hit the side netting when I reckon he'd have hit the bottom corner nine times out of ten.

He seems to hit the side netting quite a lot against Arsenal. Didn't he do that against them in the FA Cup last season?

Bert was talking to Wendy on Radio Rovers and said the Admiral had no choice and if he hadn't floored VP he would have. Otherwise the little twerp would certainly have scored again.

See the point about the last man though.

Sav just never stops running, he certainly puts opposition players off. Thought everyone else did a pretty good job yesterday too.

Hope the lads can keep the hunger and the tempo up, no lackadaisical stuff like we had a couple of times last season please, and we should be in for a great time at Ewood this term.

Well decided to bide my time but I think everybody saw one of the main reasons of why people are being driven away from the game.

Wiley (does he deserve to be even called by his actual name) or should that be incompetent fat useless ignoramous :angry: was completely and utterly sheite muslim for both teams - moreso to us but still crap none the least. Kept my head this time and didn't attempt the hurdle of the barriers and stayed until the end but still feel he spoilt the game considerably as to what it could have been and as if on cue and as per usual sent offf one of our players. Ironically though his shortcomings probably stoked up the atmosphere to a level which we have not heard for a while.

Most of what has been said has been posted - however one good point raised to me was of Dunn who appears to have become more of the player Souness wanted him to be ie a more all round ( but slimmer) type of player , but has taken away some of his attacking energy and confidence. Thought he was useless at Boro and under par first half yesterday but certainly made up for it in the second and deserved his goal.

Arseholes where just typical of what we expect from them - class in certain parts but big willy woofters skating on ice when the going gets tough and teams actually compete against them.

Hard to pick out a mom as they all worked hard for each other and I thought Bert was like a bresh of fresh air in 1st half but faded in the 2nd. Being picky thought Samba, Nelsen ,Dunn, Warnock, Bentley, Derbs and Rocky all deserve a mention but Samba just nets it for me.

Shame to say it but Pedersen was useless and ineffective yet again (think my song might have to stay underwraps for slightly longer)

To me this was the best we have played so far and could have ended up the losing team, mainly beacause of the ref - the fact we are not firing on all cylinders yet can only bode well for the rest of the season.

Resilient we are - violent we are not.

BTW - did anybody else notice incompetent speaking to Eduardo after he had been pulling at Pedersen's (I think) shirt in the second half - can't rememebr if it was in the box or not but it should have been a foul .... but oh no from useless pillock, just thought he would tell them afterwards thinking nobody would notice ..... CHEAT!!!!!!

Archived