BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gay Men!

Following on from a couple of comments in the WAGS thread (I am presuming they were just jokes, but they gave me the idea for this thread), I thought I'd start a new topic. I know there has been a big push against Racism in football but what do people think of homophobia in football? Everytime anything about gay men is mentioned there is the usual comments like 'dropping the soap' and even getting 'bummed' etc etc. Now I am not saying people are being homophobic, I know with a lot of people it is a joke and a bit of banter, but I am really curious.

I really do believe that this can be a serious discussion. It was believed that a player killed himself (all be it several years ago) because he couldn't come out because of the abuse he knew he would receive, Justin Fashanu I think it was. Also the abuse Sol Campbell received because there were rumours about his sexuality, was disgraceful.

It is always the way that whenever a gay man is mentioned, even when it's nothing to do with sex, the conversation reverts it it. Why do some straight men always think about sex when they think of gay men? Why is there a need to constantly make jokes and harrass gay men? I have never heard a comment about a gay man on this board that hasn't been met with some kind of derogatory comment. I really genuinely don't understand it.

I'm not a gay man, but if I was I would never feel comfortable going to a football match surrounded by people making these comments. Using gay as an insult, like with Lawro, or even the comment about Jansen being a 'gaylord' or whatever it was on another thread. Is it a lack of tolerance? Is it just a sense of humour failure on my part? Is it fear? Is it just ignorance and the unknown? Is it the thought of them together? Or is that gay men aren't manly enough to like football and it makes you more manly to poke fun at the gays?

I get the feeling of all of the above with some straight men. There is a feeling that ALL gay men MUST fancy them, because they like men right?. Do they fancy all women they meet? Well some might I suppose lol! Or if they do fancy a straight man they'll just molest them without permission! Also, if it is the sex thing, why are they even thinking about it anyway? All the straight people they meet, do they think about them at it? :blink: As for the manly side, you only have to look at some gay men, like Vin Diesal (sp?), to see that this is a crappy stereotype.

I don't think I am having a sense of humour failure, as I can find gay jokes very very funny...like in the jokes thread, but I just think this could be discussed. It might turn out as a sensible discussion, it might not, but I thought I'd give it a go.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be lively thread... :blink:

Personally I couldn't care less who people choose to have sex with. There are more important things to worry about and I'm not sure why many people are so obsessed with homosexuality. Does it really matter?

As regards gay footballers, I think it will be years before there is any great number who admit their orientation during their careers. The dressing room isn't a place that is conducive to wholesale tolerance of a colleague who is attracted to men.

This is going to be lively thread... :blink:

Is that a bad thing? I knew my first ever topic should have been a nice easy read! :)

It doesn't matter to me. I am quite open minded and quite frankly I couldn't care less if a bloke dressed up as a woman and called himself Rita at the weekends. As long as someone doesn't intentionally hurt anyone or take advantage of anyone, and what they do is between two consenting adults, then it is up to them and I'll judge each person on their personality.

Vin Diesel is gay? news to me

If footballers are gay then they should come out with it rather than hide. I assume that someone needs to make a stand.

anyways regarding Justin Fashanu, he didnt kill himself because he was gay, he killed himself because of an allegation of sexual assualt regarding a 17 year old boy. Charges were drops but he claimed he had already been presumed guilty

Pugg...."but I am really curious."

:blink:

Pugg...."Why do some straight men always think about sex when they think of gay men?"

:blink:

Is there something you want to tell us bud? :huh:

I would have thought that with a name like "left winger" you might have avoided this thread :huh:

Isn't that 'left footer'?

btw From Clough: The autobiography

Soon after signing him.......

Clough... "Where do you go if you want a loaf of bread son?"

Justin Fashanu... "A bakers, I suppose boss"

Clough... Where do you go if you want a leg of lamb?"

Justin Fashanu... "A butchers".

Clough "So why do you keep going to that bloody poofs club in town?"

What's happening to this forum???

I think it's getting more interesting. Damn good opening post there, good points raised. I can guess where it's going to lead though.

Just to make life (& the following discussion) more interesting: how about if everyone who posts agrees that two of the Rovers' squad who played at Boro are gay.

Just going to get the washing out of the machine now.

Archived