BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fifa 2008

Guest Kamy100

One thing that was annoying me last night was that I was in the lobbies playing random people and sometimes if either i invited or they invited, when we went to pick teams, it would allow one of us to do it and therefore we had to exit the invite - is this common??

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing that was annoying me last night was that I was in the lobbies playing random people and sometimes if either i invited or they invited, when we went to pick teams, it would allow one of us to do it and therefore we had to exit the invite - is this common??

Yeah, that happens.

1) the crossing (it's rubbish!)

you can adjust how assisted, semi assisted or unassisted you want the crossing in the option menu. Also being on turbo and the players crossing skill really plays a huge factor.

3) the stupid amount of time it takes to transfer players to their new clubs... (WHY do you have to do each player individually?)

if you're able to get it hooked up online, it'll update the squads for you. If not, then yes, it's quite a tedious process.

What site do you go to, to get it updated?

never seen the crossing thing before... whenever you try to cross it in-game, you have to turn and face in-field, otherwise it goes off the pitch to the side of the goal... everytime.

and when a cross comes off, 9 times out of 10 it automatically floats backwards to the edge of the box.

I had no problems tonight only when trying to connect to you. Have you opened all the ports that it tells you to in the instructions?

no mate - how do i do it??

Check the fifa instruction book and that will tell you the ports.

Then you just need to go onto your broadband router and add them in (all routers are different so you will just need to have a poke around and check)

Hopefully that might help you with the connections.

Yes works every time now. Originally I had an excellent signal, however it was hit and miss as to what games it would allow me to play.

Now I can play every game. I will quickly improve my ratings now I think! Id set all the ports up before with the help of a guy at 02 but he didn’t know what he was doing, another guy sorted it for me yesterday though.

Up to level 7 ranking now - quickly going up. Started at 90,000 or summet and now im up to 26,000 - well i was the last time i checked.

Keep an eye out Cocker - im usually in my country.

Aye, europe room 2 for me. Hated it the other night. Was beating a guy 3-0 but the game was very even. I was Rovers he was Barca. He then quits out. Later on he then invites me to a game again saying that he would beat me this time - cheeky git.

Dont know if I will be on much after tonight because I think I may give Rainbow 6 a caining before GTA comes out at the end of April. I suspect poor ol Fifa may gather dust until the new one arrives.

You still get the win though in your stats. Just dont think you get the skill points?

I beat someone who was Man United the other night with Seville 6-1. He was poor!

Yes but I have said it before. I couldnt care less about the stats. All I want to do is have some good games of fifa. If I get beat 10-0 I dont care as long as the game has been good. When I play my mate we have games that are about 20 mins long. It just saves coming out of the game all the time.

Yeah i know what you mean. I just look for good games too - if i find someone that gave me a good game or beat me then i usually look to play them again. The other day I was playing someone who was Crystal Palace against Blackburn - It went to extra time at 2-2 and we won 3-2 but it was a top game - end to end and the guy didnt quit. Since then played him a few times.

• 2 weeks later...
You still get the win though in your stats. Just dont think you get the skill points?

I beat someone who was Man United the other night with Seville 6-1. He was poor!

jaysus you must be brill at this game, i should be good, having played it for a good bit. Rarely win games, any tips Hughesy?

Yeah pass quickly - i.e. press and point your passes before the ball even reaches your players. Play 1-2's too.

Play down the wings alot too, but dont run straight, use tricks and dodge players - therefore evading all the obvious tackles.

Corners aim for edge of 6 yard box and look to flick the ball on with the head.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone

First of all let me get one thing straight - I have always been PES through and through - I've invested so much time in PES 2008 trying to find something magical about the new version only to find it's actually nothing more than a hollow shell with huge potential for the next version. So horror of horrors, I've committed football gaming treason and bought FIFA 08.(I never, EVER, thought I'd write that...) Looks fab and been playing a couple days and I find it moderately enjoyable - although this is mostly because of the fancy Dan presentation and you can play a proper career as Rovers.

I was wondering if anyone can offer some general tips for playing the game (I have a 360 but I guess the mechanics are the same accross all formats). I'm undecided whether FIFA 08 is just a shadow of PES's gameplay with a few fancy right analogue stick tricks thrown in and some jazzy graphics and licensing (although I must admit it's awesome to look at). Or is there more to it than that - I'm very much in the "simulation" camp as far as what I want from a footy game.

Specifically, I'm having several issues, and I draw a lot of games 0-0.

Now I'm not interested in a "get in position x and press button y and you'll always score" tip, more of how to play the game in general.

I've read the manual and practiced a bit but I was hoping for answers to the following:

1. How do you beat your man

2. Do high balls up and accross the park actually work? I find them slow and an opponent always gets on you by the time the ball lands.

3. Through balls - is there a knack?

4. Is there more to just pressing shoot when getting on the end of a cross?

My main dilemma is this - I find the gameplay a bit wooden. For example, when the ball is crossed I just seem to be able to mash the shoot button and hope for a result. In PES you have to get under the ball and you can place your header where you want. Can you do this in FIFA to any extent? And more to the point - is it worth investing time in it or is it quite shallow compared PES?

I don't want to start another FIFA vs PES war, I'm sure it's been done to death. My 50,000 dollar question is is FIFA worth investing time in or is it all rather scripted and wooden compared to PES? I'm toying with the idea of just buying other game genres until Konami finally get their act together.

I think this example that sums up my dilemma best: it was a career game I was playing yesterday. I was losing 1-0 to city away and Pedersen skipped past his man and whipped in a beauty, Santa jinked to the left and got himself a yard just inside the area and cracked a rising volley in the roof of the net. It looked awesome and if it was PES I'd have been doing cartwheels. However, as this was FIFA it didn't feel very satisfying because all I did was sprint, press the cross button and then mashed shoot (Not unlike the new PES). Anyone who's played both will hopefully know where I'm coming from with this rather long post.

Shall I just accept that I'll have to wait for PES 2009 or am I failing "get FIFA" because I'm still trying to play it like PES?

Hi,

There is no question that this years FIFA is better than the woeful PES (as yourself I have always been a pes supporter but this years version made me cry)

Anyway. I wasn't that impressed with this years fifa until I started using the Be a Pro Camera. It takes a bit of getting used to but I find that once you do the passing is so much more following and also you can beat your man no problems.

1. How do you beat your man.

My advise here is to use the main 1 vs goalkeeper arena to practice the tricks - some of them are very useful and when you take them into the main game you will just trick past players half the time.

2. Do high balls up and across the park actually work? I find them slow and an opponent always gets on you by the time the ball lands.

I think so yes. Look at the player that you are going to send the ball through too and send them on a run (L1 on PS3 not sure about 360) when he sets of ping your ball through. The amount of time you hold the through ball button is the amount of power you will use. I can send a ball from my own half right to my players feet at the edge of their box sometimes - this is with the lob through ball (again, L1 on PS3) I cant emphasis enough that if you practice this you will be splitting defenses like you did on PES.

3. Through balls - is there a knack?

Like I say, practice and judge the power. The new euro game (which is really fifa but with a few tweeks and no club teams so stay away until fifa 09 - or hopefully PES) has a power bar when passing which helps this but I think there is more skill in doing it yourself.

4. Is there more to just pressing shoot when getting on the end of a cross?

I think so, you angle your shots. If you take a corner push the stick to the top right and and shoot and he will do a glancing header to the top right. Or choose bottom left to score in the bottom left. You could always just not press shoot when it first comes in and then try and get another player to hit it on the volley.

Trust me that with practice you will start to love this game - like I say, I think Be a Pro cam is the way forward though

Thanks for such a helpful and detailed respone - your last comment has convinced me to spend a big chunk of my limited gaming time seeing what's behind the razzmatazz (I'm sure that used to be a TV programme).

I've tried the Be a Pro camera online in Be a Pro mode and I think you're right. I don't know what your PS3 version is like but the default camera I find a little too far away (although I've got a 50 inch projector telly it's not HD so that's probably something to do with it) and the other angle is too close and doesn't give me the vision to express myself and play the breathtaking flowing football I've grown accustomed to in PES :rolleyes:

I'm going to have a few more hours tonight with the Be A Pro camera and see if I can't start to "feel the love" a little more. Hopefully I'll be able to score a few more goals - all of my games (on semi pro) have been either 0-0, 0-1 or 1-0 - although I did beat Darlington 3-1 in the cup. Yes - 3 "One" :angry:

Oh and here's a thing: Management Mode - I've started up as rovers and so far every game home or away has been at the same ground. Are the Rovers fans that angry about Hughes that we have to play all our games at a nuetral venue? How do you change this on the PS3?

I'll be honest I haven't noticed the ground all that much (its like when people moan about what the crowd looked like in PES - I couldn't care less as long as the footy was good)

The single player Be a Pro will be slightly different from the online one where you are only 1 guy. This is where I said it can take a bit of getting used to because at times the camera can get a bit erratic when for instance you cross it in and it needs to switch from one player to another while also trying to follow the ball - you will get the hang of it though.

On a side note I have merged this one with the existing thread to keep things tidy. You may also find some more tips in here from others :tu:

The single player Be a Pro will be slightly different from the online one where you are only 1 guy. This is where I said it can take a bit of getting used to because at times the camera can get a bit erratic when for instance you cross it in and it needs to switch from one player to another while also trying to follow the ball - you will get the hang of it though.

In the BAP camera is the aiming (shooting or otherwise) relative to the direction the player is pointing or the camera?

Archived