BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Uefa Cup Draw (groups)

To rub it in, had we got through we would have taken Hamburg's place in the rankings in Group D.

You could look at as Wembley or the City of Manchester Stadium? Just all the other rounds. Newcastle away or Seville away?? Next seasons final will be played at the Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium, home ground of Fenerbahçe, in Istanbul, Turkey.

Group D

1. FC Basel 1893 (SUI)

2. Hamburger SV (GER)

3. Stade Rennais FC (FRA)

4. NK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

5. SK Brann (NOR)

SK Brann v Hamburg

Hamburg v Rennes

Dinamo Zagreb v Hamburg

Hamburg v Basle

If we had been seeded instead of Hamburg we would have got one of the easier groups as well. They've got trips to Zagreb and Norway. Zagreb would have been great but Norway a bit boring.

never really watch the champions league ..... there is to much footy on the tele as it is, and i have a life away from the box in the corner of the room

Same here couldn't give two hoots about who wins or plays in the CL and UEFA cups. Very rarely bother to watch on the TV as it is no longer a special event, just more of the same twaddle. If there is a big, exciting game I might make the effort, Utd v Barcleona in the semis say, but I wouldn't worry if something else came up.

It may be a bit one-eyed but I watch Rovers and that's it.

I did like the European trips and the fact we were playing more regularly. However, I am not convinced at this moment in time that we had the squad for a sustained run in Europe and the league.

As Ryan Nelsen said, the league is our bread and butter.

Our early exit from Europe may see us end up in a higher league position - who knows

Yeah but they're going down! Think European footy is really gonna balls Bolton up this year.

Sickner. I'd rather be in it regardless of our current situation. It's a rare event and for those fans who've travelled and understand the special buzz and excitment the competition brings. Meeting other Rovers fans and seeing different places. I don't want to go back to the Souness era when it was all about qualifying, then when we did, not taking it seriously because blah blah this and that.

For those that have travelled abroad, I would suspect it is the biggest cup competition a club the size of Rovers participates in, in a season.

Id rather we finished top 6 than made it to something like the UEFA quarter finals.

As im sure would our financial advisors!

Well,I tend to want to be a bit more adventurous,and I would loved us to of done well in both europe and the Prem.

Hopefully next season we'll back,and who knows,it may even be the Champs League.

Bayern Munich(home or away),would of been brilliant,Frosty.Alas,it's not to be. :tu:

To rub it in, had we got through we would have taken Hamburg's place in the rankings in Group D.

Where are you getting that from? We would have been in B. Our UEFA coefficient would have had us in pot 2 in AEK's position; Hamburg was the spot below. AEK were originally drawn into Group B and moved to C because Panathinaikos was the Pot 1 draw for B.

No kiddin' :) I think that would have been everyone's dream..

I've heard a few Blackburn fans before the Larissa game and after ,stating they weren't that bothered about the U.E.F.A Cup,because getting high placed in the Prem is more important.As I say ,not everybody thinks that way,and it's each to his own,but too many today think it's the Champs League or nothing.

Personally,I just love euro footy.I liked it when it was the European Cup,the U.E.F.A cup,and the Cup Winners Cup,and it was all knock out footy over two legs.

Anyhow,now we are out,I'm hoping we can get to Wembley via the Carling Cup or F.A Cup.Win or lose,it's the day out that's important.Being in the final of any cup competition is very special.

Great memories lifting the Full Members Cup at Wembley.It's a day I'll never forget,how easy pleased we were in those days.

You are right- I had misremembered our UEFA coefficient so indeed we would have been higher than AEK and would have landed in Group B

Sorry if that seemed over the top Phil. Considering how there are this year's rankings as well as an updated "live coefficient" table to reflect next season's rankings on Bert Kassies site, one can see how easy it is to make a mistake. I almost made the same one myself.

Archived