Joyce - Dublin

Pietersen - Natal

Shah - Pakistan

Solanki - India

Trott - South Africa

Prior - South Africa

Dalrymple - Kenya

Not sure who else?

I'm dead against it - don't mind having a foreign manager - but I think the players should be born here. We'll be getting like Jack Charltons Ireland!

The FA will probably fly out to Brazil and re-home eleven young pre-teen Brazilians in London so by the time they hit their late teens they would have been able to gain English nationality.

We would then have a team full of Stan-inho, Jack-elano, Ronald-inho, Frank-anldo & Fred.

You should only play for your country of birth, not whether you've lived there for a long time or whether you've got family there. Maybe if FIFA made that a rule to begin with then World Cups would have more balanced teams throughout the history of the competition.

Maybe France wouldn't have won the World Cup in 98 but Senegal instead.

Maybe Barnes would have scored that wonder goal against Brazil playing for Jamaica.

Maybe Tony Dorigo could have helped Australia to a world cup sooner than they had hoped.

Whats the point in International football if you don't represent your country. It's a disgrace.

Strauss - South Africa

Joyce - Dublin

Pietersen - Natal

Shah - Pakistan

Solanki - India

Trott - South Africa

Prior - South Africa

Dalrymple - Kenya

Not sure who else?

I'm dead against it - don't mind having a foreign manager - but I think the players should be born here. We'll be getting like Jack Charltons Ireland!

That is simply place of birth-which doesnt nessecarily imply nationality. Of those, Strauss was brought up in England, KP mother is English, Shah was brought up in England, Solanki was brought up in England, Trott was brought up in England, Prior was brought up in England, and Dalrymple had English parents and was brought up here, was just born abroad. I'll give you Joyce who is Irish period.

What I was trying to say, is that all the English cricket players have got links either through lineage, or importantly where they were brought up and so speak with the accent, went to school here learnt their trade here. Alumina does not have any link to England except that he has lived here for 4 years

You should only play for your country of birth, not whether you've lived there for a long time or whether you've got family there.

So lets say I was born in France, because my parents were on a extended holiday but both my parents are English, my entire life was spent being brought up in England outside of birth, I dont speak French, never been to France (at a time I can remember)-are you saying im French and should play for France?

I was joking.

Technically speaking I could apply for Maltese nationality now if I wanted to.

My stepson could chose between four nationalities.

These sorts of things are increasingly the norm as people move around more so I don't see any big deal in Almunia representing England if he's good enough which on present form, he probably will be when he qualifies.

These sorts of things are increasingly the norm as people move around more so I don't see any big deal in Almunia representing England if he's good enough which on present form, he probably will be when he qualifies.

Obviously you're stirring...

But if it's really no big deal, it should also be no big deal if people who have represented other countries suddenly see the error of their ways (or a large bag of money) and start playing for their host nation. England would be awesome with C Ronaldo and Drogba.

Why should playing one time for one particular country rule a player out of reconsidering their allegiance?

So lets say I was born in France, because my parents were on a extended holiday but both my parents are English, my entire life was spent being brought up in England outside of birth, I dont speak French, never been to France (at a time I can remember)-are you saying im French and should play for France?

Yes because that is where you would have been born, therefore it would then be written on your birth certificate. If you didn't learn French when called up to the national team then obviously it would be your own fault!

Don't blame me, blame your make believe parents for giving birth to a make believe you in France when they should have been at home :lol:

A simpler and less controversial solution would be...

When a player signs their first professional contract and thus registers as a pro footballer, they have to declare which country they will represent should the opportunity arrive. That would stop players like Deco and Almunia deciding to play for a country which (in my opinion...) they have no right to, but would still allow players nationalised as youngsters to play for their adopted country. i.e. half the French team.

Wasnt Kevin Pietersen born in South Africa but because his mother comes from England he chose to play for us rather than SA.

yeah he was born in South Africa...the only reason he left was because he couldnt get into the provincial(sp) team...how wrong he has proved the doubters here of his ability.i cannot believe England cannot find a goalkeeper good enough to play in the national team.To turn to David James,omg that does indicate the mediocrity that english football are going through.Then again,its a bit better than South Africa lmao.

C'mon South Africa lets win the nations cup. :rover:

yeah he was born in South Africa...the only reason he left was because he couldnt get into the provincial(sp) team...how wrong he has proved the doubters here of his ability.i cannot believe England cannot find a goalkeeper good enough to play in the national team.To turn to David James,omg that does indicate the mediocrity that english football are going through.Then again,its a bit better than South Africa lmao.

C'mon South Africa lets win the nations cup. :rover:

Kevin Peter Pietersen MBE (born 27 June 1980 in Pietermaritzburg, Natal, South Africa) - Great middle name by the way.

England have a mix of young talented keepers and old warhorses. There was a middle ground with Robinson but he appears to have well and truly ended his spurs and england career with a series of stupid errors. We have better but to be playing for one of the top 2 clubs in the premiership means you have to be pretty good.

Yes because that is where you would have been born, therefore it would then be written on your birth certificate. If you didn't learn French when called up to the national team then obviously it would be your own fault!

Don't blame me, blame your make believe parents for giving birth to a make believe you in France when they should have been at home :lol:

Tim i thought u were born in Iraq,and had pakistani parents.But had a grandmother living in England,and now you think you an englishman. lol

Tim when u coming to south africa?

A simpler and less controversial solution would be...

When a player signs their first professional contract and thus registers as a pro footballer, they have to declare which country they will represent should the opportunity arrive. That would stop players like Deco and Almunia deciding to play for a country which (in my opinion...) they have no right to, but would still allow players nationalised as youngsters to play for their adopted country. i.e. half the French team.

Way too logical to ever happen....

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like nationality is a bit changeable at the African Cup of Nations Mind you, pretty well all the countries in Africa are totally artificial being a function of where various Europeans managed to do their exploring.

The UK is at it as well. Apparently in amongst the Polish plumbers are Ukrainian weight lifters, Bulgarian wrestlers and Romanian swimmers who will help to make sure the Union Jack goes up the flag pole at London 2012.

• 1 month later...

Archived