BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Almunia For England

I posted this story last year- it is in the Maclaren thread along the lines of wait until the slow coaches wake up to the fact Almunia will be playing for England shortly and the foreign coach managing England row will be small beer.

Excellent news for England.

Hello slow coaches.

Other sports have had non-English representatives for many a year.

And the current England squad has a Canadian who never lived in the country before playing for the national team in it.

Just think it's sad that someone of his moderate abilities could be considered for the national team, not that he was born somewhere else.

Guest shoppybrfc
Other sports have had non-English representatives for many a year.

And the current England squad has a Canadian who never lived in the country before playing for the national team in it.

Just think it's sad that someone of his moderate abilities could be considered for the national team, not that he was born somewhere else.

Is this the same keeper playing for the best football playing team in the country, top of the league, plays for possibly the best manager in the world and a team which has only conceded 17 goals in the league and kept 17 clean sheets? :rolleyes:

Is this the same keeper playing for the best football playing team in the country, top of the league, plays for possibly the best manager in the world and a team which has only conceded 17 goals in the league and kept 17 clean sheets? :rolleyes:

And Pascal Seagull won a championship winners medal under the same criteria a few seasons back.

Great teams don't necessarily have great players in every position.

I think it's great stuff! You see all these players going off to play for some random country they've barely heard of let alone set foot in because their grandfather's fifteenth cousin removed is a native. If this guy wants to take English Citizenship and play for England I'm all for it for many reasons which I'd probably best not say after the recent new board rules ;)

Has been on SSN about this that Almunia will claim British citzenship so he can represent England, and apparently Cappello is interested in the Spaniard being in the England squad.

Cappello interested in Almunia

That is *, completely fabricated *. You'd have to be an idiot to think Almunia is good enough to be near the England squad. Capello is not an idiot.

I'd have, in no order of preference, these goalkeepers ahead of Almunia.

Robert Green

David James

Paul Robinson

Scott Carson

Ben Foster

Chris Kirkland

I bet there are plenty more out there as well that I haven't thought of yet.

I think it's great stuff! You see all these players going off to play for some random country they've barely heard of let alone set foot in because their grandfather's fifteenth cousin removed is a native. If this guy wants to take English Citizenship and play for England I'm all for it for many reasons which I'd probably best not say after the recent new board rules ;)

What new board rules are these?

Robert Green

David James

Paul Robinson

Scott Carson

Ben Foster

Chris Kirkland

Keeping age out of this issue I wouldn't swap Brad for any of them. I'd also place Almunia up with any of them. If he's of Spanish descent who somehow the rules allow him to play for England then so what? Our black players can hardly claim that their ancestors fought in the Boer war or the Crimea much less at Bannockburn or Agincourt can they? If it's within the rules then so be it.

That is bullshit, completely fabricated bullshit. You'd have to be an idiot to think Almunia is good enough to be near the England squad. Capello is not an idiot.

Robert Green

David James

Paul Robinson

Scott Carson

Ben Foster

Chris Kirkland

I bet there are plenty more out there as well that I haven't thought of yet.

That a bit over the top.....

i'd take two from that list...Carson and Green. But Almunia would definately be in the squad if he were available

How can you say Foster is ahead of him when he never plays?!

If he wants to play for England then fair enough in my opinion....plenty of other sports do the same thing!

If he's of Spanish descent who somehow the rules allow him to play for England then so what? Our black players can hardly claim that their ancestors fought in the Boer war or the Crimea much less at Bannockburn or Agincourt can they? If it's within the rules then so be it.

Is this in response to my post? If it is, then you've lost me. I don't want him anywhere near the squad because I don't think he is good enough, not because of his nationality.

I find your comparison to our black players somewhat odd as well.

EDIT: for the record, aplogies for the swearing in my first post - I thought that the filter would blank it out.

That a bit over the top.....

i'd take two from that list...Carson and Green. But Almunia would definately be in the squad if he were available

How can you say Foster is ahead of him when he never plays?!

If he wants to play for England then fair enough in my opinion....plenty of other sports do the same thing!

Maybe I was a bit over the top, but I've seen more in Foster in his limited time at Watford than I have in Almunia in the time he has been at Arsenal. If it has taken him this long to beat Lehman to number one spot at Arsenal, then he can't be good enough to play for England.

I think every player I listed in that post is better than Almunia.

Would be a joke if he was picked.

He has nothing to do with England really - no English blood or family background from England. If he did then fair enough but to come and try to play for England using the excuse when he has lived here for 5 (?) years is a disgrace.

If he's not good enough to play for his own country (Spain) then leave it at that.

Archived