BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] American Presidential Elections

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking about why I like Obama, or why I don't fear him. Not only is he a breath of fresh air, a good speaker, etc., but I think it's because while he is more big government, he's not as much for forcing all of it on people. For example, his health care plan is getting slammed because it won't cover everyone. I like it because it won't force everyone into the plan if they don't want to be in it.

I also like his plan to talk to our enemies. His critics say this gives them legitimacy - I say it opens up a dialogue and goes with the whole "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" philosophy.

She HAS to say that today. If she announces that a loss ends her bid, it'd probably backfire in two ways, 1) it would convince some of her less enthusiastic suporters to not show up, since she's going to give up anyways, and it would get even more people out to vote Obama, simply because she is who she is, and the fact that most Dems want the race decided already.

I hope Obama wins, only because I can't wait to hear the news stories about the explosions when the rest of the Dem party, who have ridden on the Clinton Coattails for years finally have to step up and tell them to ride off into the sunset....

I've been thinking about why I like Obama, or why I don't fear him. Not only is he a breath of fresh air, a good speaker, etc., but I think it's because while he is more big government, he's not as much for forcing all of it on people. For example, his health care plan is getting slammed because it won't cover everyone. I like it because it won't force everyone into the plan if they don't want to be in it.

I also like his plan to talk to our enemies. His critics say this gives them legitimacy - I say it opens up a dialogue and goes with the whole "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" philosophy.

Fascinated that you should say that American as we completely agree in what you are writing yet we usually disagree on most things.

I was a very reluctant Obama convert but I have to say the man is truly charismatic- he has the gift of God when he speaks. Consistent oratory of this calibre from English speaking politicians died in the bullets of the '60s.

His politics are good too!

Barack Obama is a politician seeking the highest office in the land. Do not be deceived. I believe some of the recent takes I've seen on him to be a meandering mishmash of crypto-Christian mysticism draped as a mantel over the shoulders of an undeserving person. Some people are being easily led by the snake oil of those consumed with self-ambition hiding behind a thin veneer of populist rhetoric. Obama likens his election as on par with the transcendental moments in American history. The hubris is staggering.

Here's a quote of his which really irks me:

"You know, the truth is that right after 9/11, I had a pin. Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq war, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest."

So...true patriotism is speaking out on issues? It's his right to think that, but I always believed patriotism was the sum of many parts. His assertion that a flag pin is a substitute for "real patriotism" is a steaming pile of sanctimonious garbage. No, a pin is not patriotism. But to suggest it's a substitute and remove it insults people who maintain such symbols as emblematic of the many things that make America great. The flag...to me at least, represents the last great experiment by mankind in self-government. I love America, warts and all...and proudly wear that pin. Obama is telling us that voicing objections to national policies is patriotism. No, it's not. It's part of your civic duty.

Showing pride in America is an expected part of the job he wants. Some of us have always been proud of being an American and America, and are willing to show it. Patriotism can mean many different things to many people, and Obama is entitled to remove his lapel flag pin...and America is entitled to not vote for him.

The more I think about it, the more I realize Obama is a sleazy political hack in a nice suit, and his smooth policy non-statements make Bill Clinton look tongue-tied and honest. He needs exposed...not sanctified with this crypto-religious nonsense that attempts to elevate him to a higher plane than the rest of us.

I'm invoking Occam's Razor here. Hell, his entire shaving kit. Obama is a politician lusting for the highest office in the land. Simple as that. Trying to paint him as this glorious figure who has been to the mountain top and walked through the fire is utter nonsense. He's a man and a politician who makes flowery speeches about hope and change, yet never tells people what that change would be, or how it would occur. He thrives on populist rhetoric about uniting everyone, but offers zero evidence of how he'd do that. His stances and history offer zero evidence he's ever done it or he could if he tried because neither side is going to bend.

J-2, I think you are being a bit harsh on Obama, he definitely has set out his plans. Many people disagree with them, as was referenced above re: his health care plans not mandating coverege for everyone, and of course its hard to detail all of the financial details in speeches, but to say he has offered nothing in terms of plans or details is a bit harsh.

The Dem race has had me laughing the entire time, and its really all Bilary's fault. The "why is everyone so hard on me and not Obama," I especially love when she answers questions abotu her negative attacks by saying, basically" yes Obama's negative attacks are sickening..." Pure comedy.

Although, the biggest travestyof the election would still be if Bilary get Howard Dean and the 'old boys' on the convention R&C committee to re-instate the Mich and Fla delegates without a re-vote.

Maybe that's we she's so confident that 'we will be the nominee'. It looks unlikely that Hillary can win via gaining the requisite number of delegates. She can only be successful if she convinces enough supers to go against the electoral map, the delegate count and the vast numbers turning out for Obama or by having the Michigan and Florida delegates reinstated (though initially she agreed with the decision to suspend those primary results).

Given the way the Democrat voting systems work, Hillary is going to have to win the remaining primaries by margins of 25%+ to go into the Convention level on delegates. The current estimates are that she might have only pegged Obama back by as few as 6 delegates from the 4 contests on 4 March by the time it is all done and dusted.

Oh, this will get interesting.....

Eliot Spitzer, the New York Governor was just caught in a prositution scnadal.

He had been the Attoney General for NY and had made a name for himself on the moral high-ground primarily by fighting corruption amongst the Wall Street insiders. In fact when word of his scandal broke, there were cheers on the floor Wall Street.

Spitzer is currently a superdelegate at the Dem. convetion, and has supported Clinton, although begrudingly in the begining. He had also been mentioned a few times as a potential running mate for his state senator.

This will be intersting. Hilary had started attacking Obama over his involvemnt with Rezko, atacking his ability to spot "good character" and asking for paperwork about his dealings with him. But, now she's got Spitzer on her shoulders as well. She's sliently removing his name from some of her endorsement and support lists. Looks like that attack angle has dried up, to some extent.

It is likely that Spitzer will have to resign (when the moral hig-ground is your power base, it tends to vanish when you give over $4000 to a prostitute in a federal sting).

Might as well stick this here.

Been two "Maltese" elections this week- in Rome the new Grand Master of the Knights of St John of Malta has been elected (works similar to the Pope- elected for life- and after going over 900 years without a single Brit, they have now chosen a second in succession to Fra Bertie who died two months ago).

We have also had a General Election. The Maltese take politics seriously although the turn out in a country without postal or proxy votes fell to the lowest for 30 years- a mere 93%.

The PM got re-elected in an absolute cliffhanger of a result. Here is a picture of about a quarter of the country's population at the rally held this evening after PM was sworn in.

Archived