BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fuel

Intersting fact i heard on the radio yesterday.....

Although the price of crude oil yo-yo`s up & down depending on demand & world markets, the price at the pump does not reflect it. When oil prices drop, the price we pay at the pump doesn`t drop as quickly & tends to keep its inflated price. Funny that eh? :unsure:

At work the other week, i worked out if i didn`t have a car i`d save myself nearly £5000 per year in fuel, tax, insurance, maintenance & payments. :unsure:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Intersting fact i heard on the radio yesterday.....

Although the price of crude oil yo-yo`s up & down depending on demand & world markets, the price at the pump does not reflect it. When oil prices drop, the price we pay at the pump doesn`t drop as quickly & tends to keep its inflated price. Funny that eh? :unsure:

At work the other week, i worked out if i didn`t have a car i`d save myself nearly £5000 per year in fuel, tax, insurance, maintenance & payments. :unsure:

I've been reckoning that up too cletus. In my case its close to 10K!

Cheap : mine's more like £12,000 plus the cost of replacing it out of tax income every few years.

Memo : get yourself a company car funded by other taxpayers.

Sun still getting to you Jim?

He really needs updating on that issue. Times have changed since his day..... but I really can't be arsed. In a perverse way I quite like watching the sad old git making a fool of himself.

Don't need any lessons from you in making a fool of oneself Gordon !

No, you don't need lessons. You do a good job of making a fool of yourself without any help.

Goldman Sachs are actually projecting oil at $200 per barrel.

The pattern of oil prices rising at the moment is following a traditional commodity bubble. However, peak oil, decrepit infrastructure (years of cheap oil meant the oil cos never adequately reinvested in platforms and pipelines all of which are rusting like crazy), reserves in trouble spots and incompetent Soviet-style management of Gazprom are all realities which means few can say what a realistic non-bubble price is. Last year $30 was being hypothised as a natural price in a non-conflict world, today few commentators put the figure under $70.

My guess is that there is a premium in the price for the risks associated with the last six months of the Bush presidency. Oil prices will probably start to fall when President Obama is elected.

The current $135+ barrel has wrecked whatever economics there ever were for the airline industry. Putting it into perspective, for most airlines it means it is costing them about £5 ($9) per passenger per hour to fly more than it cost this time last year.

Oil is still cheap though.

Evian water is $240 per barrel and Budweiser is $389 per barrel.

The current $135+ barrel has wrecked whatever economics there ever were for the airline industry. Putting it into perspective, for most airlines it means it is costing them about £5 ($9) per passenger per hour to fly more than it cost this time last year

And if airlines paid for VAT on fuel like every other industry most of them would fall out of the skies.

Bye bye budget airline industry but good news for the planet and good news for the disappearing English countryside and for those who live near ever-expanding airports.

And if airlines paid for VAT on fuel like every other industry most of them would fall out of the skies.

Bye bye budget airline industry but good news for the planet and good news for the disappearing English countryside and for those who live near ever-expanding airports.

Swings and roundabouts eh? But I've told you many times before, you need to think it through a bit further John. Why do you struggle so much with the concept? The English countryside is now likely to disappear even faster but soon under a blanket of yellow with wildlife decimated and the waterways polluted as set aside and country stewardship schemes are abandoned in favour of sq mile after sq mile of rapeseed and other bio fuel producing crops.

Bye bye airlines ..... Hello tractors! :rolleyes: Better wrap up nice and warm ...Oakdale is going to become a much colder place next winter.

btw moving forward even further a subject which will be close to your heart...... imo in time cremations will become a thing of the past on cost and environment issues, the environment agencies will rightly ban all burials and human remains will be disposed of (as animal remains in the form of M&B meal are now) as part fuel source for our power stations. See whoever said you were a useless old git was way wrong eh? ^_^

Actualy its bye bye Alitalia and some budget airlines. Ferrovial are in deep dodo with their BAA acquistion as well.

Other budget airlines are already the most profitable in the industry.

As a rule of thumb, look at all airline accounts for last year and worsen margins by 6%. Ryanair drop from 22% to 16% bottom line, BA and easyJet drop from 12% to 6%.

Alitalia and quite a few budget carriers drop out of the sky.

Actualy its bye bye Alitalia and some budget airlines. Ferrovial are in deep dodo with their BAA acquistion as well.

Other budget airlines are already the most profitable in the industry.

As a rule of thumb, look at all airline accounts for last year and worsen margins by 6%. Ryanair drop from 22% to 16% bottom line, BA and easyJet drop from 12% to 6%.

Alitalia and quite a few budget carriers drop out of the sky.

But on the plus side..... At least the lovely old capitals of Europe will soon be spared the abominable British stag and hen parties.

For a comparison....in the Czech republic fuel is rising every week and is currently at 34kc per litre...which is just over a quid. Consider that the average wage here is 500 pounds per month and you can see the problem. Its killing everybody.

As for flights, it has cost me 180 quid to fly to Manchester this weekend....8 months ago it would cost me no more than 80. And its the same for all flight prices that i can see. Cheapest seems to be around 130 quid return wheras last year you could get 60 quid return if you booked early.

Archived