BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

So calling Ince 'negroid' is Ok then?

Not wanting to get all Big Brother about this, but I'd rather see the full context in which it was used to form my opinion. That doesn't mean however that I agree, or disagree, before any assumptions are made. At the risk of sounding ignorant - or maybe just naive - but I don't know enough about the etymolgy of that word to know offhand what it means or if it is considered a racist term; if it is, there's a gap in my knowledge - but who determines these anyway? Bear in mind that doesn't make me a racist though.

From what I've seen of this thread, I saw some reference to Shinawatra, and a supposed racial slur. To me, what I'd seen written in this thread previously about Dr Thaksin wasn't IMO racist; as I feel a large proportion of 'perceived racism' isn't either.

Back to that word you quoted; I would suggest that it isn't per se a racist word, more likely that it's a word that has fallen out of use to avoid being considered offensive, maybe like the other 'n' word has supposedly been 'reclaimed' and is somehow offensive only when it's convenient to be so.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Warnock is playing like a tosser who possibly may want away, but more petulantly may feel he deserves a pay rise .

Zurab, Ooijer looks the business with possibly Keith Treacy as left back.

You are having a laugh aren't you mate? Zurab is past it and has the speed of a striking sloath whilst being easy to barge off the ball, Ooijer wants away and Treacy isn't a left back IMHO.

Give Ince until Christmas and stop yer fookin moaning the lot of you.

The only quality post of recent times on this thread! I second that motion.

I think Ince has done well, for several reasons, but the most obvious one is this.

Most of the accusations his detractors have thrown his way have since been proven to be unfounded, or piffle - at least those that could be finitely proven.

Letting Bentley go - wasn't really his choice once Db made the situation untenable. Likewise Friedel. For all the hyperbole and grandstanding, a manager's job is to manage any situation with the club's best interests at heart. Clearly we're missing Bentley, but then who's to say he would have been playing - let alone at the standards (past tense) we're judging the present players by.

Andrews - we don't know the reasons he bought him for, but he didn't look out of place yesterday or anything like as bad as folk were wanting him to be.

Fowler - he gave him every chance, and offered a deal what he thought he was worth; clearly Fowler had an over-inflated opinion of himself - I actually think this showed Ince, when it mattered, made the right decision and he wasn't given the credit for it.

Castillo - I'm a loath to accept the situation as painted elsewhere with regard to the confusion/disrespect of this lad. Ince looked at him, and given he's on record as saying it wasn't over (whilst mentioning a reduced fee), plus him going to Everton on loan (and the agents' contrary words) seems to suggest he wasn't 'all that'.

Annan - Ince wisely stayed out of a bidding war (that didn't materialise); he looked at the lad, felt he was okay but seemingly didn't think was worth the money and was either playing brinksmanship or looking elsewhere.

Grella - clearly was a longer term target than the 'one game' he was seen in & starred; he seems to fit the bill regarding the type of midfielder we needed though may need time to settle in & get used to pace of game.

Timing of signings - I'm sure it's all in hand. Ince is clearly balancing the profile of players he's after against their likely cost; this worked for Hughes and no reason to suggest won't for Ince. I think overall he's done excellent business, and the lack of a right winger so far isn't for lack of trying. I'm sure if the right player was available at the right place, he'd snap him up - but don't forget he's shopping at a higher level than he's known before so will have a lot of legwork to complete also.

Lack of transfer funds - I'm certain if he saw a good deal to do, he'd be backed accordingly. Even Joaqin - I think it's more doubts to his form, acclimatisation, mental state, hunger etc. that they're weighing up, more than the cost. That said, with a desperate seller, I don't blame them for playing the 'long game' if they can nudge price down. Funny how critics want all sides of the story to unfold here - slag him for letting Bentley go, then for not replacing, then saying need to spend big, then if they spend big & he flops, rather than accept it's probably all in hand, if the deal is right.

Coaching staff - funnily, this seems to have gone quiet on the whole given the standard of football is somewhat better than MH in his first few months. Still plenty to work - mainly defensively - but it's nowhere near as dated as the pitchforkers would suggest the pensioners would produce.

About the only one I can give any credence to is that his suit is a touch big for him - but hey, that's JR Taylor for you I guess.

Would calling you 'caucasoid' be allowed? Anthropologically, there is nothing wrong with it.

Negroid according to the OED seems to be pretty much on target:

adjective relating to the division of humankind represented by the indigenous peoples of central and southern Africa.

— USAGE The term Negroid is associated with outdated notions of racial types; it is potentially offensive and best avoided.

So perhaps the question is irrelevant?

Negroid according to the OED seems to be pretty much on target:

adjective relating to the division of humankind represented by the indigenous peoples of central and southern Africa.

— USAGE The term Negroid is associated with outdated notions of racial types; it is potentially offensive and best avoided.

So perhaps the question is irrelevant?

Aha, that's it then - whoever used that term maybe wasn't trying to be offensive, maybe they're just outdated :D

So is the term only offensive to a certain skin type then? I still never understand how the 'n word' can be offensive to one person dependent on the ethnicity of the person saying it; surely there's some element of 'reverse racism' at play. The whole thing is claptrap if you ask me, way too furry and certainly lacking clarity. All comes down to the PC issue in my book. It's taken over this topic, as these things do, and it's not going to be answered clearly ultimately.

Isn't this whole subject just a tad off-topic though? Go check out this site if you want to learn about words - she's hot for words

Do you think Paul Ince - or indeed any black person - would be happy to be called negroid?

Here you go brains.........

"Ne·groid (ngroid) Anthropology

adj.

Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as brown to black pigmentation and often tightly curled hair and including peoples indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa.

Now do you not think that if I had wished to use a racist term I could have used on that is in much more common use?

Anyway why not quote me fully rather than cherry pick?

The current Ince formula is simple

Buy poor players + poor results = Ince out of the door !

sooner rather than later.

I suggest Paul Ince begins to bring in some quality players into the club then and only then will he begin to improve his chances of success.

The current Ince formula is simple

Buy poor players + poor results = Ince out of the door !

sooner rather than later.

I suggest Paul Ince begins to bring in some quality players into the club then and only then will he begin to improve his chances of success.

Odd that you did an "abandon thread" after the Everton game. Unlike Bish you didn't have the minerals to come on here and hold your hands up. How predictable that you are back now. You must be delighted.

Guest Kamy100

Paul Ince will do just fine for Rovers. I has had to deal with load of trip since his appointment and has a made the best of a bad situation. It is going to take him time but he'll get it right in the end, people forget it took Hughes months to get the team playing the way he wanted, but then again the squad Hughes inherited was much poorer then the one Ince has.

Regardless this is the time to get behind the team, we have made an OK start to the season, and those of you wanting Ince to fail go away with this though, IF Ince fails then Blackburn Rovers Fail and we'll be playing Championship Football next season.

Paul Ince will do just fine for Rovers. I has had to deal with load of trip since his appointment and has a made the best of a bad situation. It is going to take him time but he'll get it right in the end, people forget it took Hughes months to get the team playing the way he wanted, but then again the squad Hughes inherited was much poorer then the one Ince has.

Regardless this is the time to get behind the team, we have made an OK start to the season, and those of you wanting Ince to fail go away with this though, IF Ince fails then Blackburn Rovers Fail and we'll be playing Championship Football next season.

And that is indeed the issue.

btw if I didn't know better Kamy your second sentence suggsets that you've had a liquid lunch! ^_^

Ince gave his best interview after the defeat of West Ham.

I think he's starting to settle.

Mind you, like others have said, I remain unconvinved by his transfer dealings. I'm starting to think I'd rather we didn't buy anyone.

And that is indeed the issue.

btw if I didn't know better Kamy your second sentence suggsets that you've had a liquid lunch! ^_^

WE KNOW Ince might fail. Like many others on here I was disapointed with his appointment. He is now our manager like it or not. It is in our interest for him to succeed. What was the point of highlighting that sentance?

What is the point of your constant, repetative, depressing carping about Ince?

Odd that you did an "abandon thread" after the Everton game. Unlike Bish you didn't have the minerals to come on here and hold your hands up. How predictable that you are back now. You must be delighted.

I'm far from delighted, dejected disappointed more like, just highlighting if Ince brings good quality players in then his success rate will increase, its a simple formula that works all over the world at all levels of football obviously at this level money is a big issue.

But what do I have to hold my hands up to ?

WE KNOW Ince might fail. Like many others on here I was disapointed with his appointment. He is now our manager like it or not. It is in our interest for him to succeed. What was the point of highlighting that sentance?

What is the point of your constant, repetative, depressing carping about Ince?

Did both you guys want the same manager in preference to Ince then? Allardyce I'm guessing? Hey, to be fair, if he'd have got the gig, I'd probably be acting like you are with regard to Ince. Then again...... ;)

I reckon we should split this topic into two - one for the Ince lovers, one for the haters. Then both groups can wax lyrical/bitch like a demon all day long without going round in circles, or changing stances based on results - minerals or not.

Did both you guys want the same manager in preference to Ince then? Allardyce I'm guessing? Hey, to be fair, if he'd have got the gig, I'd probably be acting like you are with regard to Ince. Then again...... ;)

I reckon we should split this topic into two - one of the Ince lovers, one for the haters. Then both groups can wax lyrical/bitch like a demon all day long without going rond in circles, or changing stances based on results - minerals or not.

I would rather take up golf than watch any team managed by Allardyce.

I'm far from delighted, dejected disappointed more like, just highlighting if Ince brings good quality players in then his success rate will increase, its a simple formula that works all over the world at all levels of football obviously at this level money is a big issue.

But what do I have to hold my hands up to ?

You know what you have to hold your hands up to. Otherwise you wouldn't have done a dissapearing act off this thread.

adj.

Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as brown to black pigmentation and often tightly curled hair and including peoples indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa.

Now do you not think that if I had wished to use a racist term I could have used on that is in much more common use?

Are you an old anthropologist Gordon? Because otherwise, using the term 'negroid' is definitely considered racist and has implications that spread a lot further than describing someones colour. Just take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroid for a clear and pretty concise description of the word and where it is 'acceptable' to use it. In fact, the word 'negroid' and it's meaning has proven to be false so use of the word to describe someone is entirely wrong.

I'm not saying you are racist but to use the word to describe someone is morally wrong and scientifically wrong as well.

adj.

You know the term is offensive, that no-one, other than racists, uses it in everyday language. You used it because you think it makes you look clever. You've got a history of nod-nod wink-wink use of language that these days is unacceptable on TV, workplaces and so on.

You have a problem, and it's all over this message board.

Are you an old anthropologist Gordon? Because otherwise, using the term 'negroid' is definitely considered racist and has implications that spread a lot further than describing someones colour. Just take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroid for a clear and pretty concise description of the word and where it is 'acceptable' to use it. In fact, the word 'negroid' and it's meaning has proven to be false so use of the word to describe someone is entirely wrong.

I'm not saying you are racist but to use the word to describe someone is morally wrong and scientifically wrong as well.

It says that the word has become offensive, but what makes it more offensive than Ginger? The people who hate it?

Archived