BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cold Calling

When you get somebody calling you saying you have won a holiday or offering double glazing or finance or claiming after an accident what do you do, I string them along and waste their time and agree to everything they say until the end and then I tell them I'm not interested.

You must have plenty of time to spare then!! We used to be plagued by this both at home and work - occassionaly we'd use to old "I'll just get him for you" and then leave the phone on the side until the caller rang off. :)

We now have all our work and home phones registered with the Telephone Preference Service and it generally works very well. Cold calling at home has virtually ceased and at work it is down to perhaps 2-3 per month. When we get a cold call we simply say we are TPS registered and that stops the conversation dead.

As much as I HAVE strung them along before, and HAVE left the phone until they've hung up, I also now appreciate that it's their job and if they had a choice they wouldn't be calling people to be abused all day. It's better than people who sit around at home all day waiting for the next giro payment.

Paul's advice about TPS is very good btw. Definitely do that if you get called a lot.

This is my job! :D Part-time obviously while home for the summer from Uni...tis only surveys mind, and suprisingly people are more willing to take part than I ever imagined.........I'd never take the time to do one still!! haha

Well what ive found is there is usually a gap of 2 seconds or so from you picking up the phone to them speaking, probably because of automated dialling. So just put the phone down beofre they talk, they dont ring back.

Or as my Grandad does, he pretends to be a workman doing a job in the house (plumber etc!)

If I've got the time I try and sell them something back .... I open with "I'm so glad you called. I have a lawn mower that has hardly been used just sitting in the garage. It's green, used twice, I can give it to you at a fantastic price before I try to put it up on eBay, and on and on.

They either hang up or interrupt with "I don't need a lawnmower!" "Exactly" is my reply.

I think Charity Muggers are in the same line of annoying you.

Oooooooooooh I hate those ____s. I used to live in Bedford, and there were so many of those turds of humanity about. And I'd always be on my own unable to just merge in with a group, so I'd get them going to me. One time I was going to a cash machine, and again, no-one was within 20 metres of me as I walked past and the tosser tried to get my attention. Just as he talked, I did have an itch and lifted my hand to scratch my brow. This prompted the fool to shout out "oh the hand to the face I hadn't seen that before" in order to try and embarrass me.

It took a lot of self control not to go over and tell him that he will not make a public spectacle out of me for his own amusment, and that I have become angry at his abuse as demonstrated by the fact his head his being repeatedly applied to the concrete flowerbed with considerable force. Or words to that effect.

When cold callers ring me, and ask to either speak to Mr Accyrover or Mrs Accyrover I tend to use the following.....

"Sorry, he/she is just out walking the ostrich."

"He/she is busy at the moment, bathing the pet hippo."

"Sorry, he/she is not in. I'm actually burgling the house and am trying to get their 42" plasma telly out of the window - can you ring back later ?"

"I'm glad you rang. Can I talk to you about God ?"

Etc etc.....

In fact, the more outrageous the better. Usually stops them in their tracks.

Accyrover :rolleyes:

Archived