BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barack Obama

I don't pretend to follow or particularly understand the American Presidential election process. I am though rather intrigued by Obama's European Tour and the sell out crowds. I can't recall any other presidential candidate embarking on such a tour and I wondered how Americans view this. I heard a comment on Radio 4 that he comes across as "glib and arrogant" for making the tour. My feeling is he seems to be acting as though he is President rather than a candidate.

Do Americans see this tour as a positive move on Obama's part, perhaps demonstrating a desire for strong relations with Europe, or do you, like me, feel it's a little premature?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't pretend to follow or particularly understand the American Presidential election process. I am though rather intrigued by Obama's European Tour and the sell out crowds. I can't recall any other presidential candidate embarking on suc a tour and I wondered how Americans view this. I hear a comment on Radio 4 that he comes across as "glib and arrogant" for making the tour. My feeling is he seems to be acting as though he is President rather than just a candidate.

Do Americans see this tour as a positive move on Obama's part, perhaps demonstrating a desire for strong relations with Europe, or do you, like me, feel it's a little premature?

I purely feel nauseated by all of hype about him.

The fact that CNN compared Christ to Obama yesterday illustrates the madness that is going on now.

His ideas all spawn from opinion polls and his opinions are the same and his is even telling the Iraqi's they will be getting free health care. :blink:

We are in a middle of two wars, three fronts and we have a junior senator and a relic to pick from.

How the hell did this happen?

Anything that can help reconcile Europe and the States has to be good right. The US views mainland Europe as irrelevant (with quite a good case actually). Whilst the sometimes snooty Europeans- tend to look down the end of there nose at the Americans as brash & unsophisticated. I believe that the West does need to reconcile as we are fighting the toughest ideological war since the middle-ages. A fractured , split west only helps the enemy.

Mr Obama, is extremely popular in mainland Europe and one has to believe that he is using this popularity to show waning voters that he has some pedigree in foreign affairs.

Anything that can help reconcile Europe and the States has to be good right. The US views mainland Europe as irrelevant (with quite a good case actually). Whilst the sometimes snooty Europeans- tend to look down the end of there nose at the Americans as brash & unsophisticated. I believe that the West does need to reconcile as we are fighting the toughest ideological war since the middle-ages. A fractured , split west only helps the enemy.

Mr Obama, is extremely popular in mainland Europe and one has to believe that he is using this popularity to show waning voters that he has some pedigree in foreign affairs.

Movie star hype does not equal well structured foreign policy nor diplomatic acumen.

Movie star hype does not equal well structured foreign policy nor diplomatic acumen.

Agreed, but you have to wonder what % of the electorate will be ‘taken in’ by Obama’s visit to Europe. My guess is a quite a high proportion, so on Obama’s behalf it will be a successful trip.

Reconciliation imo, must be one of the fundamental challenges to new president. Nevertheless, Europe (excluding, Britain, Poland and the Dutch) must take a long-hard look at itself, and decide whether it has retreated into a ‘soft power’ only approach. If it has, then im afraid the Europeans don’t deserve to be reconciled.

Agreed, but you have to wonder what % of the electorate will be ‘taken in’ by Obama’s visit to Europe. My guess is a quite a high proportion, so on Obama’s behalf it will be a successful trip.

That is what is so awfull, this is like a movie advertising campaign. FFS are people THAT stupid, read his political and social views or lack there of.

Reconciliation imo, must be one of the fundamental challenges to new president. Nevertheless, Europe (excluding, Britain, Poland and the Dutch) must take a long-hard look at itself, and decide whether it has retreated into a ‘soft power’ only approach. If it has, then im afraid the Europeans don’t deserve to be reconciled.

Reconciliation would be fine, but the end of Western influence in world affairs is close at hand, we are apologetic to the point of grovelling.

I really don't care anymore, I just keep up out of morbid curiosity.

I don't pretend to follow or particularly understand the American Presidential election process. I am though rather intrigued by Obama's European Tour and the sell out crowds. I can't recall any other presidential candidate embarking on such a tour and I wondered how Americans view this. I heard a comment on Radio 4 that he comes across as "glib and arrogant" for making the tour. My feeling is he seems to be acting as though he is President rather than a candidate.

Before he went on this trip McCain was claiming that Obama had no foreign policy experience and was unaware of the situation on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now he's gone abroad the McCain camp is still pointing the finger. If Obama is able to gain political capital by doing these big events, then frankly he should. In any case I don't know if it will actually cut much ice in the US and A.

Before he went on this trip McCain was claiming that Obama had no foreign policy experience and was unaware of the situation on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now he's gone abroad the McCain camp is still pointing the finger. If Obama is able to gain political capital by doing these big events, then frankly he should. In any case I don't know if it will actually cut much ice in the US and A.

They are as bad as each other and both aren't worth a damn.

McCain is so old that he was taught diplomatic international politics by the Egyptian pursuit of Moses and the Jews. The man is a war hero and all and a POW but he just isn't up to it, he will die in office through stress. Obama's plan is to spend money like its nothing, raise some taxes and give everyone free stuff.

I did the math about his proposals. If he gets all the stuff through congress that he wants it is financial suicide for me to work. If I slapped a male coworker and got fired I would get housing aid, free health care, free day care for the kids so I can do whatever I want, Unemployment money to the tune of 673 dollars a week, Welfare to pay for cable and stuff, food stamps for free food, and to top it all I am a wounded vet I get 432 dollars disability a month.

Does no one else see this is wrong? When a man has to loose money to work.

McCain is as liberal with the cheque book as Obama. Obama is now back peddling about timetable for withdrawal. They are one in the same and they are both crap.

In Middle America this trip will go down like a lead balloon, hob-nobing with the 'Cheese eating surrender monkeys'. Polls stating '90% of French people would vote for Obama' would make many Americans LESS likely to vote for him. Never write off the Republicans.

In Middle America this trip will go down like a lead balloon, hob-nobing with the 'Cheese eating surrender monkeys'. Polls stating '90% of French people would vote for Obama' would make many Americans LESS likely to vote for him. Never write off the Republicans.

The Republicans no longer have the balls to run with a campaign like that.

The balls to run with a xenophobic campaign? Oh, the shame...

Quite.

I think you know what I meant.

Much more liberal policies exist in Europe than does in the US, the Republicans will no more draw attention to that officially and label them ultalibs than Obama's camp will point a quivering finger at the Republicans and call them militant lunatics.

Both sides are proud to pander and neither represent me.

The fact that people believe either side of them and subscribe to either sides idiotic raving shows how dangerously polarized the US is becoming. It is getting so bad that unless you subscribe to the entire dogma of the left or the right you are abused by both. You can not be for personal firearms and against the war, the two issues have nothing in common but are both lumped with the conservative package. Partial birth abortion and open boarders are demanded as liberal principles.

"A good working definition of fanaticism is that you are so convinced of your views and policies that you are sure anyone who opposes them must either be stupid and deceived or have some ulterior motive. We are today a nation where almost everyone in the public eye displays fanaticism with every utterance."

Quite.

I think you know what I meant.

Much more liberal policies exist in Europe than does in the US, the Republicans will no more draw attention to that officially and label them ultalibs than Obama's camp will point a quivering finger at the Republicans and call them militant lunatics.

Both sides are proud to pander and neither represent me.

The fact that people believe either side of them and subscribe to either sides idiotic raving shows how dangerously polarized the US is becoming. It is getting so bad that unless you subscribe to the entire dogma of the left or the right you are abused by both. You can not be for personal firearms and against the war, the two issues have nothing in common but are both lumped with the conservative package. Partial birth abortion and open boarders are demanded as liberal principles.

"A good working definition of fanaticism is that you are so convinced of your views and policies that you are sure anyone who opposes them must either be stupid and deceived or have some ulterior motive. We are today a nation where almost everyone in the public eye displays fanaticism with every utterance."

I can't claim to have as in depth a knowledge of US politics as I don't live there, but on one hand you say that much more liberal policies exist in Europe than the US, while on the other you say the US is becoming dangerously polarised? That seems a little contradictory...surely both sides occupy a reasonably right wing stance?

I can't claim to have as in depth a knowledge of US politics as I don't live there, but on one hand you say that much more liberal policies exist in Europe than the US, while on the other you say the US is becoming dangerously polarised? That seems a little contradictory...surely both sides occupy a reasonably right wing stance?

The US is much further to the right as it stands right now laws etc.

The new leaders that are being elected are very liberal and the right are becoming more virulent in their screams for equal air time on TV, equal amount of views in newspapers etc. More interest in far right radio like "The Savage Nation", far right wing are getting so bothered that they are starting militias to guard the border.

The left use their outlets i.e. Hollywood for their ever increasing liberal views and in some cases down right vicious anti-religious films and documentaries.

It heaves back and forth with the public outrage building on both sides.

Both leaders on both sides stoke the fire with more controversy everyday, spun both ways by both sides in a mad attempt at finding a villain.

I am an immigrant so I can not vote, if I could I wouldn't for either of these jokers. Neither of these philosophy's suit me.

I've no idea on Obama's experience but he can put on a show and has heavy backers which together should get him in. The USA certainly needs a change after 8 years of Cowboy Bush. If he brings in a decent cabinet he should be OK.

I also agree that bridges need to be built between the US and Europe. It was eroding prior to the trade tower attacks, then there was a brief period of harmony before Bush went unilateral. If these economic engines work together we'll have a lot less to worry about.

How does Obama coming to have dinner in Paris show that he is a good politician? Nonsense tour. He shouldn't even really be recognised by major politicans in other countries yet. Everyone should realise that this guy actually has a job. A job he now hasn't been doing for a couple of years.

That is what is so awfull, this is like a movie advertising campaign. FFS are people THAT stupid, read his political and social views or lack there of.

Reconciliation would be fine, but the end of Western influence in world affairs is close at hand, we are apologetic to the point of grovelling.

I really don't care anymore, I just keep up out of morbid curiosity.

Had to laugh at the are people THAT stupid comment.. we are referring to Americans.. who voted bush in.. Trust me on this he is a damn site better than the Hilderbeast or the other chap..

I have allot of American friends.. from the more affluent parts of the states of course.. and this guy really does want to make a difference.

Not been so optimistic in quite a few years.. this time maybe we will have a half decent American president.

Archived