BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Only Solution I Can See

Eddie

I've tried thinking about how the club could see it was in control of things and the only real solution I can see is that the club goes out and makes a big and exciting signing. It would be the only way to show the fans, media and players that we are back Ince and have ambition. I don't like how we seem to be playing the cheap role in the league, trying to force everything down as low as we would absolutely like or else we walk away. It's time to get out the cheque book after making a huge amount of profit this season, time to show that we haven't totally lost our way.

Saddest thing about it, I can't see the club doing it. At this moment in time I don't think I'll be at all excited by any of the signings we may or may not make. I'm prepared for a bad season, I'm prepared for a bad few years. This summer could shape the future of this club for the next few years and it doesn't look good.

The club seems unaware of how quickly you can fall from a top half or European side to nothing (Ipswich, Sunderland, Bolton...)

I've tried thinking about how the club could see it was in control of things and the only real solution I can see is that the club goes out and makes a big and exciting signing. It would be the only way to show the fans, media and players that we are back Ince and have ambition. I don't like how we seem to be playing the cheap role in the league, trying to force everything down as low as we would absolutely like or else we walk away. It's time to get out the cheque book after making a huge amount of profit this season, time to show that we haven't totally lost our way.

Saddest thing about it, I can't see the club doing it. At this moment in time I don't think I'll be at all excited by any of the signings we may or may not make. I'm prepared for a bad season, I'm prepared for a bad few years. This summer could shape the future of this club for the next few years and it doesn't look good.

The club seems unaware of how quickly you can fall from a top half or European side to nothing (Ipswich, Sunderland, Bolton...)

agree compleatly it would be a clever move from ince

I have to agree, a big name signing might bring some confidence back to the team and the fans plus show the media and other clubs we aren't just a selling club. Of course at the same time we need to make sure we are buying proven quality.

I have fears though that we don't have anywhere near the £15 million plus that we should have to spend when you consider the budget before and after the Bentley sale. Whether thats because the money has been spent elsewhere, to pay off debts or is being held back for January who knows. Its clear we have a problem when we have loaned two players and we are looking to bring a striker on a free transfer.

Easier said than done Eddie.

I am sure Ince has been trying to get players in, but some other clubs are also struggling at the moment to add quality to their squad.

Plus the fact that we really cannot afford to potentially waste any of our money. Especially if we are going to keep having to replace our best players!!

Big name signing? Wasn't that the idea behind Real Madrid's failed Galactico policy?

I couldn't care less for big names, and I suggest that all sensible fans would be with me on that.

I want Rovers to sign good players, not names. Steven Warnock was a fantastic signing and it wasn't because he was a household name in England. Tottenham are a classic case of a club drawn to big names over the years and what have they got out of it...primarily a whole bunch of wasted cash.

The only criteria I'm looking for in signings are: technically gifted, strong work-rate, reliable attitude. If a player has all those in abundance, I would be more than happy - which is why I am excited about the Carlos Villaneuva signing.

Robbie Fowler, Keith Andrews, Paul Konchesky, Roque's brother, Benni's sister, Bentley's 78 year old mother, George Weah, Dwight Yorke, Lee Trundle, Dean Saunders, Dalian Atkinson, Martin Andresen, some guy from league five, Accrington Stanley's mascot, a dog, a cat, a pig with three legs, a clothes line and a scarecrow...

The only criteria I'm looking for in signings are: technically gifted, strong work-rate, reliable attitude. If a player has all those in abundance, I would be more than happy

what about pace?

something we're lacking up-front and on the flanks (emerton aside whom i think may have a big role to play this season btw.).

A big signing will only be a short term morale boost. The problem we have is much bigger than one big name signing.

Ince appears to be doing a pretty poor job of managing Blackburn Rovers. That is the opinion of more than a few on here at least.

Top players leaving, a player mutiny and others wanting. Something is clearly wrong within the club.

However, a competitive ball has not been kicked yet. The majority on here haven't even watched Paul Ince's team play a friendly let alone a competitive game.

If Ince gets something at Everton and beats Hull spirits will be lifted.

The only solution is match winning football. If Ince gets a good start and things settle down even I may give him a chance.

There is a flip side to this and that starts with a defeat to Everton and an early Hull goal at Ewood...

...I'll stop there.

It's good to see so many of us so positive about the new manager, before a competitive match has even been played.

I have a certain degree of faith in JW - his last two appointments were the right man at the right time who, quite possibly, were allowed to leave at the right time. I share the view that last season was a bit of an anti-climax compared to the previous year and that it seemed to me that Sparky had lost something with the dressing room and was unable to shake key players out of bad form at key points in the season. I think he had reached his limit and moved on before it unravelled around him to some extent thereby blemishing his otherwise impeccable CV for the job we all know he covets.

As for the alleged unrest, when there is a change in leadership there is always a change in approach and existing personnel have differing levels of difficulty in adapting - this is true in football and all other environments where people are paid to do as someone else tells them. Having said that, I would speculate (and we can do no more) that there is some history between Brad and the new manager from their time at Liverpool that the introduction of Robbie Fowler did nothing to quell.

I believe the cash has not been splashed because there is no point signing players who do not improve what we already have, which happens to be a squad that finished 7th in what claims to be the most competitive league in the world and to get players to put us in the top 6 means we are fishing in a very small pond alongside clubs with much more bait than us. Let's face it we are not sexy - the media don't help - and there is a stream of players who tend to come here to recover or consolidate their careers with a view to moving on if a better (top 6) offer comes along which is where they think they belong but often get proved wrong (Bellamy, Bentley, Neill for example). At the same time, we have made significant financial investments/commitments without big headline transfer fees being handed over - the loan deal for Villanueva includes an option for three year deal thereafter, for example.

I hated Paul Ince as a player - he was competitive, mouthy, intelligent, thought too much of himself, skilful and utterly committed - qualities I love in anyone connected with BRFC (David Speedie, David Batty, Robbie Savage, Colin Hendry anyone?). He was a winner and a fighter and has the associated mentality that nothing but the best is good enough - if that worries some of our current crew maybe they should be asking themselves whether their standards are high enough? If Paul Ince brings these qualities to to the position of BRFC manager then he will succeed. What's more, he has recognised his own shortcomings in his backroom appointments - the first sign of a good leader. Personally, the more I think abut it the more my reservations dwindle about his appointment as I have been quietly impressed with how he has handled himself so far.

Based on this thread, this change also affects us and I fear we are allowing ourselves to be unsettled because something is different with which we are unfamiliar and therefore we don't like it and want to believe any half-negative story. It's abut time we stopped or at least got it out of our systems by 16th August!

A big signing will only be a short term morale boost. The problem we have is much bigger than one big name signing.

Ince appears to be doing a pretty poor job of managing Blackburn Rovers. That is the opinion of more than a few on here at least.

Top players leaving, a player mutiny and others wanting. Something is clearly wrong within the club.

However, a competitive ball has not been kicked yet. The majority on here haven't even watched Paul Ince's team play a friendly let alone a competitive game.

If Ince gets something at Everton and beats Hull spirits will be lifted.

The only solution is match winning football. If Ince gets a good start and things settle down even I may give him a chance.

There is a flip side to this and that starts with a defeat to Everton and an early Hull goal at Ewood...

...I'll stop there.

If lose the 1st two games and we keep hearing about the 1980's training and the players not liking him and the pensioner crew then Ince should be bombed out. We can't afford to give him time just to confirm he isn't the man for us when it's looking obvious already.

I hope Mr Williams is doing his job and thinking about replacements already. It's sad that he should have to be doing but this situation is his fault to a large extent.

Don't really get the point of this thread, it's like saying i know what will cheer everyone up, Lets qualify for the champions league, How can we sign anyone big when half the squad wants out?? Inces idea of a big signing.................... Andrews. I don't see JW and the board giving him anymore than 5 million for one signing and that won't bring in the big name we want ( from this generation)

Robbie Fowler, Keith Andrews, Paul Konchesky, Roque's brother, Benni's sister, Bentley's 78 year old mother, George Weah, Dwight Yorke, Lee Trundle, Dean Saunders, Dalian Atkinson, Martin Andresen, some guy from league five, Accrington Stanley's mascot, a dog, a cat, a pig with three legs, a clothes line and a scarecrow...

I thought you were being serious until I read 'scarecrow'.

Why not rename this thread to "panic buying"...?

Big names don't always equal success. Granted the excitement generated by signing Bellamy, Benni & Roque in recent years was justified, but then again they were all signed by one of the most shrewd judges of talent in the business...

It's good to see so many of us so positive about the new manager, before a competitive match has even been played.

I have a certain degree of faith in JW - his last two appointments were the right man at the right time who, quite possibly, were allowed to leave at the right time. I share the view that last season was a bit of an anti-climax compared to the previous year and that it seemed to me that Sparky had lost something with the dressing room and was unable to shake key players out of bad form at key points in the season. I think he had reached his limit and moved on before it unravelled around him to some extent thereby blemishing his otherwise impeccable CV for the job we all know he covets.

As for the alleged unrest, when there is a change in leadership there is always a change in approach and existing personnel have differing levels of difficulty in adapting - this is true in football and all other environments where people are paid to do as someone else tells them. Having said that, I would speculate (and we can do no more) that there is some history between Brad and the new manager from their time at Liverpool that the introduction of Robbie Fowler did nothing to quell.

I believe the cash has not been splashed because there is no point signing players who do not improve what we already have, which happens to be a squad that finished 7th in what claims to be the most competitive league in the world and to get players to put us in the top 6 means we are fishing in a very small pond alongside clubs with much more bait than us. Let's face it we are not sexy - the media don't help - and there is a stream of players who tend to come here to recover or consolidate their careers with a view to moving on if a better (top 6) offer comes along which is where they think they belong but often get proved wrong (Bellamy, Bentley, Neill for example). At the same time, we have made significant financial investments/commitments without big headline transfer fees being handed over - the loan deal for Villanueva includes an option for three year deal thereafter, for example.

I hated Paul Ince as a player - he was competitive, mouthy, intelligent, thought too much of himself, skilful and utterly committed - qualities I love in anyone connected with BRFC (David Speedie, David Batty, Robbie Savage, Colin Hendry anyone?). He was a winner and a fighter and has the associated mentality that nothing but the best is good enough - if that worries some of our current crew maybe they should be asking themselves whether their standards are high enough? If Paul Ince brings these qualities to to the position of BRFC manager then he will succeed. What's more, he has recognised his own shortcomings in his backroom appointments - the first sign of a good leader. Personally, the more I think abut it the more my reservations dwindle about his appointment as I have been quietly impressed with how he has handled himself so far.

Based on this thread, this change also affects us and I fear we are allowing ourselves to be unsettled because something is different with which we are unfamiliar and therefore we don't like it and want to believe any half-negative story. It's abut time we stopped or at least got it out of our systems by 16th August!

I have to ask at what point would you start to worry?? Half the first team wants to go, all we've heard are bad things from behind the scenes, and we're getting linked with useless players, Ince cannot handle the media at all, just look at the "why would i have an interest in Robinson" interview. He's out of touch

Big name signing? Wasn't that the idea behind Real Madrid's failed Galactico policy?

I couldn't care less for big names, and I suggest that all sensible fans would be with me on that.

I want Rovers to sign good players, not names. Steven Warnock was a fantastic signing and it wasn't because he was a household name in England. Tottenham are a classic case of a club drawn to big names over the years and what have they got out of it...primarily a whole bunch of wasted cash.

The only criteria I'm looking for in signings are: technically gifted, strong work-rate, reliable attitude. If a player has all those in abundance, I would be more than happy - which is why I am excited about the Carlos Villaneuva signing.

I agree with Eddie. Exciting names and quality are not mutually exclusive. We have to spend money (you know, all that cash from the Bentley sale and playing in the wealthiest league in the world) to stay in this division. There's being parsimonious and there's being silly and so far the club's lack of expenditure, save for the Robinson deal which was clearly necessary and aided by Friedel's move, is frightening.

So Ince must believe he has sorted the right back problem well that still leaves:

Possibly a left back;

Potential Targets: Leighten Baines, Paul Konchesky, Mikael Silvestre, Aarmond Troare, Royston Drenthe (Real Madrid - loan).

One holding central mdfielder:

Potential Targets: Denilson, Diaby, Song (arsenal - loan), Anthony Annan, Tom Huddlestone, Lucas (liverpool - loan), Thiago Motta.

Should have targeted: Gilberto Silva and Claude Makelele.

One all action central midfielder:

Potential Targets: Keith Andrews, Julio Baptista, Didier Zokora, Michael Johnson.

Right/Creative Midfielder:

Potential Targets: Jermaine Pennant, Aaron Lennon, Michael Kightly, Shaun Wright Philips, Elano, James Milner, Juninho Pernanbuco, Mathias Fernandez, Pedro Marales, Roberto Cereceda, Edgar Barreto, Carlos Paredes.

Striker:

Potential Targets: Nicola Zigic, Daud Gazale, Alexis Sánchez, Nelsen Cuevas, Oscar Cardozo, Leroy Lita, Higuain (Real Madrid Loan), Roberto Soldado (Real Madrid Loan), Carlos Vela (Arsenal - loan), Nikola Kalinić.

The sort of signing that would make me happy would be someone like Adam Johnson - Boro. Yes, it would be expensive but he's not a name on the lips of footy fans up and down the land. He's not a "big name".

However, he'd make a darn good signing - sure Treacy looks promising - but Johnson could play right wing, as he has for Boro.

So Ince must believe he has sorted the right back problem well that still leaves:

Possibly a left back;

Potential Targets: Leighten Baines, Paul Konchesky, Mikael Silvestre, Aarmond Troare, Royston Drenthe (Real Madrid - loan).

Potential Targets: Denilson, Diaby, Song (arsenal - loan), Anthony Annan, Tom Huddlestone, Lucas (liverpool - loan), Thiago Motta.

Potential Targets: Keith Andrews, Julio Baptista, Didier Zokora, Michael Johnson.

Potential Targets: Jermaine Pennant, Aaron Lennon, Michael Kightly, Shaun Wright Philips, Elano, James Milner, Juninho Pernanbuco, Mathias Fernandez, Pedro Marales, Roberto Cereceda, Edgar Barreto, Carlos Paredes.

Striker:

Potential Targets: Nicola Zigic, Daud Gazale, Alexis Sánchez, Nelsen Cuevas, Oscar Cardozo, Leroy Lita, Higuain (Real Madrid Loan), Roberto Soldado (Real Madrid Loan), Carlos Vela (Arsenal - loan), Nikola Kalinić.

Any one of those would cheer me up - even the ones I don't know.

If I was JW I'd be very nervous about allowing Ince to break our transfer record.

What happens when we get to Christmas, we're bottom of the league, have to replace Ince, morale is through the floor, and the new guy has nothing to spend.

At this moment in time I think I'd prefer us to keep our money and save it for January, when we'll likely need digging out of a big hole.

Possibly a left back;

Striker:

Sorry, most pointless post I've ever seen. Not only do we not know if any of the above players are available, some of them are ridiculous. Leroy Lita would improve our squad?!

The rest - Champ Manager dreaming if ever I've heard it.

Archived