BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Manager 2009

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not fixed. It means you have to accept if they offer it. If he doesn't play well they won't make a bid.

Thanks, i was hoping there was a bug or something as i never seen any club not take up the option. I guess there goes my chance of selling salgado for £10.25m at the end of the season :D

Hey guys, what formation do you use if you have a lot of creative midfielder but no good strikers?

I usually play 4-4-2 but since updating the game, i got platti, bouenatte (sp), derfour, bigla (sp) and wiestel so i tried playing a 4-1-3-1-1 formation to accomodate them all but i can't score for nuts!

I play 4-2-3-1 (GK, RB, CB, CB, LB, CM, CM, AMR, AML, AMC, ST).

You can set your striker up to be a bit like Heskey for England - doing all the donkey work to let your attacking midfielders score. Depends on his stats, but if you set him to be the target man (preferably to feet), with high closing down, hold up the ball ticked and through balls set to often, he should be able to bring your AMs into the game. If he's not very strong though, or doesn't have high work rate, he might not be very good at that.

The thing with this version of FM though is that it's not really about the type of formation, it's all the other instructions you use to go with it.

Edit: I've read some people have success with no strikers. You could try playing a 4-2-4 or something, with the front four being AMR, AML, AMC, AMC. I know it's possible to get a set-up like that working but I haven't tried it myself.

Had all sorts of problems with this version especially up front and getting strikers to score. Pre 9.03 patch i found it more effective to play just one man up front and have an AMC behind him, in the 9.03 patch they worked on the strikers issue a bit and its not as bad as before but still it can be very hit or miss when it comes to strikers and their form.

I'm playing a 4-4-2 system:

GK (Sweeper Keeper).

RB

CB

CB

LB

RW

CM

CM

LW

ST

ST

LB/RB don't venture forward that often mainly defensive. Both CB's have to be good in the air plus have some pace and acceleration. RW and LW are my main flair players. CM's all round box-to-box CM's both can tackle and pass. ST's- i try to look for all-round ones, pace and strength but can also finish.

If you bring in a lot of players be prepared to wait for a while for the team to gel, especially if you bring in lot of non english speaking ones. You can ask your assistant manager how the team understanding is, it should get better as the season goes on. Also if you introduce a new tactic it can take time for your players to get used to it, once it took me about 12-15 games for my team to get used to the tactics and each role of the player.

Oh and another vital thing about my team is that all players have to have decent figures in three key stats (i like my players to have decent mental stats).

Teamwork.

Determination.

Work-rate.

If a player doesn't have decent stats in those three attributes then i don't bother with them. I've found that stats in these three areas can really help your side beat another side that on paper is better than you, help you come back from losing at HT and can give you the edge in some games. Central midfielders/DM's especially need decent stats in these attributes.

How do you install the transfer updates when using the game via steam?

Not 100% sure as i chose the non steam installation option.

Have you tried?

Start ->

My Documents ->

Sports Interactive ->

Football Manager 2009 ->

and then save the update in the "db" folder.

My 2 main strikers are fairly reliable - Mauro Zarate (Argentinian) & Walter (Brazilian). Both can go through lean patches but usually 1 is firing and the other isnt and vice versa.

I have had several strikers I have deemed not good enough and sold on. Its the one area im willing to spend lots of money to get the right man.

My 2 main strikers are fairly reliable - Mauro Zarate (Argentinian) & Walter (Brazilian). Both can go through lean patches but usually 1 is firing and the other isnt and vice versa.

I have had several strikers I have deemed not good enough and sold on. Its the one area im willing to spend lots of money to get the right man.

Yeah you just have to find the right striker for your formation, player instructions or make tweaks to your existing formation to accommodate the striker. Sometimes however it just doesn't work out with a player, i've had players on a previous save be brilliant for me and the complete opposite on another save.

On my current save i have Zaki, Kalinic and Lewandowski whilst Benni and Di Santo are out and they seem to be doing well, especially Zaki.

Btw i strongly recommend Beckham. His pace has gone so he won't be that effective on the wing but he has great stats and has been great for me in central midfield. He tackles well, works hard and his passing is sublime.

You can sign him for just over £3 million in the first season with £50k+ in wages.

The fans were salivating over the prospect of him coming when there was a rumour about Rovers being interested so i decided to buy him.

I tried signing him in my 3rd season but his club wanted too much so i pulled out.

I refuse to be held ransom by any players. Think im in my 4th season and my top earner is still only getting about 45k a week - some have asked for daft amounts like £70k+ a week, id rather sell them than give in to their demands.

Due to having a big squad full of promising young talent - I cant afford to pay massive wages to 1 player. Think I have 65+ players in my senior training and then about another 15 on youth contracts.

Is it not possible to see the stadium sizes in the 9.3 version? I cant find it, usually on the information screen isnt it?!

I tried signing him in my 3rd season but his club wanted too much so i pulled out.

I refuse to be held ransom by any players. Think im in my 4th season and my top earner is still only getting about 45k a week - some have asked for daft amounts like £70k+ a week, id rather sell them than give in to their demands.

Due to having a big squad full of promising young talent - I cant afford to pay massive wages to 1 player. Think I have 65+ players in my senior training and then about another 15 on youth contracts.

Is it not possible to see the stadium sizes in the 9.3 version? I cant find it, usually on the information screen isnt it?!

It usually takes me a couple of seasons to get the squad balance i want. After the 1st season i tend to buy a load of youth players, first season though i prefer a mix of youth and experience.

Overall i aim to have two decent enough players for each position, so i could put out 2 teams of decent strength and a couple of versatile players who can play a position or two.

On the stadium sizes i am sure i've seen it listed before on previous versions, but it doesn't appear to be on the information screen in 9.03.

Good tip for keeping your wage bill low:

Every time you're going to negotiate with someone, go into the 'finances' screen and adjust your budget and move all the money to your transfer funds so that there's barely any room on the wage bill. The player will ask for a lot lower for some reason. I found this very useful when I took Swindon the Premier League and my best players started asking for £80,000 a week, if I changed my budget they only asked for about £45,000.

Edit: Stadium information is in 9.0.3. Go on 'information' then in the top right corner there is a drop down box with four options. Change that to 'stadium and facilities' or something.

Btw i strongly recommend Beckham. His pace has gone so he won't be that effective on the wing but he has great stats and has been great for me in central midfield. He tackles well, works hard and his passing is sublime.

You can sign him for just over £3 million in the first season with £50k+ in wages.

The fans were salivating over the prospect of him coming when there was a rumour about Rovers being interested so i decided to buy him.

He's not bad, i signed him a couple of times in the jan transfer window in the 1st season. I agree he can't play on the wing; he's way too slow but i don't think he's that effective in the middle too.

I usually buy him for his set pieces and to give my finance a boost.

Edit: Stadium information is in 9.0.3. Go on 'information' then in the top right corner there is a drop down box with four options. Change that to 'stadium and facilities' or something.

Thats for that - il take a look tonight...

I gave into 2 of my best players last night and gave them both a pay rise up to £55k. Thats now my maximum il allow - which isnt bad when the player was kicking off and demanding £66k.

In my 5th season at the moment, about 21 games gone - 3rd in the league and still in the FA Cup & Europa league.

Just won my last 3 in a row 2-1 (United, Liverpool & Arsenal).

I do however have quite abit of squad disharmony - mainly due to people being unhappy at not being 1st choice (Despite not being good enough).

In the market for a new keeper now - ideally younger than 25, but capable of taking over now - and improving on Robbo.

• Backroom
He's not bad, i signed him a couple of times in the jan transfer window in the 1st season. I agree he can't play on the wing; he's way too slow but i don't think he's that effective in the middle too.

I usually buy him for his set pieces and to give my finance a boost.

interesting, i bought him in the jan window of the first season and played him on the wing - he got player of the year, av rating 7.62 and had something like 20 assists :D replaced him for the 2nd season though, his stats decreased.

Has anyone had a computer regen son come through the youth ranks? Been reading a thread on the official Sports Interactive forums about this, apparently its pretty rare but can happen.

I believe this happens when you have a world beater in your team that retires (This is why I sign decrepit ex-hero's when they are released). The re-spawned hero is in the next flock of youth players that you get at the begining of the next season.

This seems to be the case as because Rovers have never produced the type of players that I have streaming through the youth acadamy.

I dont know if this can be considered a cheat or not.

I think even then - it doesnt always happen. Iv had a few big stars retire and never re-appear as a re-gen in my youth.

Its amazing how many players Man City wreck with thier money in the new game. Robinho went on a free and only wanted 25k a week, whilst Jo just retired aged 25 in my game as they have wrecked him.

Archived