BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Manager 2009

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started a new game as I haven't played for a while. Have included our new signings & added di Santo on loan (just in case!)

Included a load of ex-Blackburn (legends?) as my backroom staff, Sutton, Hendry, Batty, Sherwood, Flowers, Gallacher etc.

My side:

gk - Ochoa (Signed for £7.5 + apps fee)

rb - Emerton

lb - Warnock

cb - Givet

cb - Nelsen

rm - Diouf

lm - Guardado (Quality, signed for £12 mill + appearence & goal fees)

cm - Reid

cm - Assuncao (Sutton scouted him, signed for £1.7 mill)

st - Di Santo

st - Cardozo (cost £9 million - bargain really)

Subs - Robinson, Samba, Van Heerden, Dunn, Hoillett, Rivaldo, McCarthy

Sold a load of players to get a decent transfer kitty, including Santa Cruz to City for £20 million.

Have so far lost 2-1 to Fulham at home, lost 3-0 to United away, beat Oldham 2-0 in cup & beat Stoke 3-1 at home.

What I am after is some advice on best tactics? I normally play 4-4-2. I see a lot of people are finishing top six, how?!! Help very much needed!

4 league games into the season on my latest game (first season) and i'm currently 6th.

The results so far:

1-1 Everton (Home)- First game of the season so i would have taken a draw, disappointed though that I outplayed Everton for most of the game and was winning until Everton changed to a 4-2-4 and equalised in the 90th minute.

1-0 Win against Sunderland (Away)- Outplayed most of the game, Whitehead had a shocker against his old club but i was happy to take the win.

2-0 Win against MK Dons (League Cup)- Played the full strength side because of my upcoming fixtures looked like they would be tricky, but had subs ready to replace if i could kill the game off early.

2-1 Loss against Chelsea (Away)- Wasn't expecting to get anything from the game, told the lads the pressure was off and to go out there and do their best. Played pretty well but the Chelsea class was too much.

2-1 Win against Man United (Home)- Another result i had written off before the game and told the lads to go out and try their best and that the pressure was off. I took the lead when Roque was fouled in the box by Vidic (Vidic was also booked) and Whitehead converted the pen. Rooney equalised with a long range thunderbolt just before HT and i thought here we go a United fightback... Second Half kicked off and it was quite scrappy but United were starting to string the passes together and i thought this doesn't look good, but around the 50th min Vidic was sent off for a second yellow after a bad tackle on Santa Cruz. United changed formation and went to a 5-3-1, Dunny was looking tired so i took him off and brought on Tugay to slow the game down a bit and keep possession. Out of nowhere Tugay lets rip from 30+ yards with an absolute brilliant swerving shot and Van der Sar can do nothing about it. I jumped up off my chair shouting GET IN!!! United couldn't reply and i won the game that i expected to get nothing out of.

Team Wise:

GK-Robinson

CB-Samba

CB-Nelsen

LB-Warnock

RB-Emerton

LM-Ledley

RM-Diouf

CM-Whitehead

CM-Dunny

ST-Bangoura

ST-Santa Cruz

Subs/ players who can come in:

LB-Olsson- looks very decent especially with training.

CB- Gioda- my replacement for Nelsen- who i might offload next season or the next- Has started a few times and looks rock solid.

RB- Santon- Can play all down that right hand flank, very decent prospect.

LM- Ochirosii- Young romanian, future world class player.

ST- Lewandowski- great talent.

CM- Grella, Tugay- Grella has done well for me so far, will be offloading him though after this season. Tugay great option on the bench.

AML/ST- Villanueva- Scored a few freekicks for me in preason, he's on a cheap wage so i will keep him for now, probably wont make a move for him though at the end of the season.

Star performers for me so far:

Samba- 2 goals in the league, decent match rating, playing really well.

Diouf- Surprisingly has been good- stats wise he aint that bad.

Ismael Bangoura- Still settling but has contributed to the team with assists and goals.

Dean Whitehead- Real workhorse in midfield.

Joe Ledley- seems to be getting better with each game.

Biggest regret:

Probably not selling Santa Cruz. According to the assistant manager he doesn't want to play under a manager of my stature, he has been playing poorly and hasn't scored in the 4 league games so far. Hopefully i can win him around and get his value up so i can sell in January or in the summer.

Overall i'm happy so far, wish i was scoring more goals per game though but that could be down to my players not used to my tactics yet. Also McDonald (wanted Neri but Rovers board won't pay the compo to get rid of McDonald!) says the team haven't gelled yet so i am hope once they do they should be performing even better.

Bit of a wierd season on my game, doing well so far after 14 games but some of the sides you would expect to do well are struggling a bit and some sides seem to be overperforming...

The League Table:

seasonsofar.jpg

Spurs seem to be having a blinder and haven't signed anyone, United and Liverpool are both underperforming, especially Liverpool.

My team are starting to really gel and perform better. Having problems with Samba though, performance wise he is fine and has scored 5 goals for my side so far but Lyon put a bid for him and he is pretty mad that i refused it. I may have to offload him for squad harmony reasons, i have Gioda who could replace him but the big man has been superb for me.

• Backroom
Sure this doesn't belong in our transfer thread? Steve Bruce was briefly linked earlier in the summer.

:D is a good player on FM, no idea about IRL.

Having problems with Samba though, performance wise he is fine and has scored 5 goals for my side so far but Lyon put a bid for him and he is pretty mad that i refused it. I may have to offload him for squad harmony reasons, i have Gioda who could replace him but the big man has been superb for me.

I had exactly the same problem, sold Samba for some ridiculous amount and brought in Martin Caceres. Worked out well.

Im Bradford City atm, doing really well i think...

1st season won league 2.

2nd season won league 1.

3rd season finished 14th in the championship.

4th season finsihed 5th and promoted through the playoffs.

Now it's summer and a hevay rebuilding project.

But Bradofrd are back in the big time.

Ismaila N'Diaye - Good enough for anyone as a back up dc/dm he's a cracking player and very cheap!

An update on my current game with just 6 games to go:

latesttable.jpg

Hopeful of making at least the Uefa Cup/Europa League, Liverpool are my closest challenger and are 15 points behind but with a game in hand. I might be able to make the champions league though i'm going to have to rely on the ai slipping up. The media predicted me to make 8th so i am happy with my first season.

Been in a bit of a decline since Feb, i had only lost 2 games all season but have lost 5 since then and against sides i was expecting to get something from. I've had a number of injuries as well which have taken its toll on my small squad.

Next season is going to prove tricky, noticed several flaws in my team, some players that just don't fit in the system i want to play and there isn't enough strength in depth. I am a bit wary though of making huge changes as well as i don't really want to have to get a whole new side to gel as a team again next season.

• Backroom

Missing out on Europe might not be such a bad thing for you mate. Last time I was Rovers and got into Europe we suffered big time in the league because I had a small squad that couldn't handle the extra games. If you do get into Europe make sure you bulk up your squad - but expect a slight decline in performance, as your team will invariably need time to gel. The CPU's teams unfortunately seem to gel straight away.

Missing out on Europe might not be such a bad thing for you mate. Last time I was Rovers and got into Europe we suffered big time in the league because I had a small squad that couldn't handle the extra games. If you do get into Europe make sure you bulk up your squad - but expect a slight decline in performance, as your team will invariably need time to gel. The CPU's teams unfortunately seem to gel straight away.

Yeah i see your point, i don't really have the finances yet to have a squad capable of challenging on both the European and domestic fronts. If I get into Europe i'm not expecting to go very far, it will probably be a blessing as not doing well in the league is going to get me sacked, crashing out of Europe i think the board will take that. I'll have to see what their expectations are for next season.

What's everyone's experiences with Joe Mattock? I've offloaded Olsson to Everton and was thinking of bringing in Mattock. I think Mattock and Warnock will be good enough for my left back spot, though clubs are sniffing around Warnock so i may cash in and start with Mattock and bring in a younger cheaper backup.

• Backroom
Yeah i see your point, i don't really have the finances yet to have a squad capable of challenging on both the European and domestic fronts. If I get into Europe i'm not expecting to go very far, it will probably be a blessing as not doing well in the league is going to get me sacked, crashing out of Europe i think the board will take that. I'll have to see what their expectations are for next season.

What's everyone's experiences with Joe Mattock? I've offloaded Olsson to Everton and was thinking of bringing in Mattock. I think Mattock and Warnock will be good enough for my left back spot, though clubs are sniffing around Warnock so i may cash in and start with Mattock and bring in a younger cheaper backup.

I'd suggest experimenting and rotating the squad during your European ventures. Use some of the young, homegrown lads and give them a chance.

Mattock's a quality left back. I always either get him or Razvan Rat if I get in a decent bid for Warnock. Warnock's a good left-back but he's prone to having off days (in my most recent game he had two matches in a row where he got 4.8, was fuming). Both Mattock and Rat are better left-backs IMO.

I'd suggest experimenting and rotating the squad during your European ventures. Use some of the young, homegrown lads and give them a chance.

Mattock's a quality left back. I always either get him or Razvan Rat if I get in a decent bid for Warnock. Warnock's a good left-back but he's prone to having off days (in my most recent game he had two matches in a row where he got 4.8, was fuming). Both Mattock and Rat are better left-backs IMO.

I know what you mean about Warnock, plays great for a few games for me then has an absolute shocker.

Going to make some changes at the back i think for the next season, happy with Emerton and Santon at right back, going to have Mattock and someone else at left back. Centre back is more tricky because of the interest in Samba, do i let him go? If i don't will it disrupt team harmony? Then there is the issue of Nelsen, noticed more mistakes in his game and you can see he isn't pacey enough anymore, but he is my team captain and i'm worried if i force him out and it backfires then it could further affect harmony.

Some tricky decisions to be made that's for sure.

Well I finished my first season, finished 5th so not a bad start. The board offered me a new contract and I of course signed it.

The board want me to make another respectable league finish and have given me £10.5 million to spend, with Europe as a distraction i accepted that target though i hope to do slightly better.

I know i stated previously i didn't want to bring in loads of players a few however already are wanted by other clubs and clubs that are bigger than me so for squad harmony i've decided to sell some of them.

So far i've sold :

Warnock for £7 million to Liverpool- Warnock was on the whole good for me but every so often he made big mistakes. I now have Mattock who i got for under £3 million so i thoguth it work worth cashing in.

Roque- £15 million all up front to Barcelona. Roque never really played that well for me, 10 goals in 31 appearances (i think he became unsettled when a few teams were sniffing around and he never regained his early season form).

Rigters- Just came back from Barnsley, sold him back to Barsnley.

Samba- Lyon showed interest again and I remember last time they did and Samba was really unsettled, sold him for £10 million, probably cheap but i already have a replacement for him in Gioda.

Robinson- Did well for me but wanted a better keeper.

Grella- Selling him back to Italy.

I tried to offload Nelsen but couldn't find anyone interested. Going to keep him for a bit longer, hope he plays well then offload him.

Brought a few players in, so my current team is looking like:

GK- Ochoa (Pricey but looks decent).

GK- Lung jr (Decent backup, scouts reckon he has decent potential)

RB-Santon

RB-Emerton (Kept for now, can play several positions)

CB- Beevers (Decent young english prospect)

CB-Gioda

CB-Nelsen

CB-Demidov (can play midfield and defence)

LB-Mattock

LB-Evaldo (Looks decent enough backup for Mattock)

RW- Diouf (Kept after having a decent season for me, can play both wings as well)

RW- Krivets (Young player i've heard some good things about)

CM-Whitehead (All round midfield, superb Mental stats)

CM-Dunny (kept for one more season, Homegrown status).

CM-

CM-

(Two slots free, thinking of bringing in Cattermole and Skolnik).

LW- Ledley (Getting better and had a decent season. Don't think he will be a world beater but should sell for a very decent profit in the future).

LW- Ochirosii (suffered a broken leg at the hands of Micah Richards so it stunted his development, hoping he recovers well for this upcoming season.)

ST-Laurito

ST-Derbs (Homegrown, had a decent season on loan).

ST-Bangoura (Mixed season, tried to offload but sides couldn't afford wages and i refused to contribute for 3 more years, hoping he does better).

ST- Sturridge (Couldn't resist buying him for £1 million hoping to sell for a decent profit in the future).

ST- Lewandowski

Might look like some inferior players to some or not some of the common names you see in almost every team. Almost all my players have very decent mental stats especially Determination, Teamwork and Workrate. I've found that decent stats in these attributes can really help.

Has any got an update file which includes all players up to now? Or includes all the transfers done so far etc??

I havent updated my squads since the game came out, so if im to play it, it would be useful.

Doubful there is one out there yet. There probably will be though shortly after the window closes, an unofficial one most likely.

Tried Loaded up the game this morning about to finish my preseason games off and start the league game but got an error:

'This save game cannot be loaded'

Looks like my save has become corrupted, i have a save that's just started when i am given the budget for the second season and the expectations from the board, looks like i am going to have to make signings all over again. Stupid me not making monthly saves.

A query on Tactics, has anyone got a 4-4-2 fully working? My 4-4-2 last year worked well defensively but attacking wise especially from the strikers it was poor.

Played- 38

Won- 22

Drawn- 8

Lost-8

For- 56

Against-33

Most of my victories seem to be 1-0 wins, Samba chiped in with a few goals as did Gioda and the midfield. Roque and Bangoura only scored like 25 goals between them...

Honestly with this game i've never had a 4-4-2 working brilliantly, pre 9.03 patch it was always one striker scoring and the other not. Now i just can't seem to get my strikers to score enough. Maybe i should ditch the 4-4-2...

Maybe i should ditch the 4-4-2...

Don't ditch, it can work great, although I've had most of my success with 4-4-2s in the lower leagues.

Try changing the midfield. You could try playing with two DMCs and moving your wide players up to the AML/R positions. If your strikers are good in the air and you have the wingers set to cross often then that could get them scoring again.

Don't ditch, it can work great, although I've had most of my success with 4-4-2s in the lower leagues.

Try changing the midfield. You could try playing with two DMCs and moving your wide players up to the AML/R positions. If your strikers are good in the air and you have the wingers set to cross often then that could get them scoring again.

I'll stick with it another season, hopefully i can get my strikers firing this time. I have two midfielders in the centre, basically they have high work rate, teamwork and determination plus decent passing and tackling skills. Most of my flair and creativity should come from the wings.

Archived