BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Manager 2009

Links for my holiday game in 2036. Rovers are a bit of a yo-yo club.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xjwody

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DB0FZ1XM

If you want more information on what has happened in the game, including massive spoilers, you can read this thread that I am using for my experiment. It has a big Rovers focus, so it may be of interest.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=108196

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently 7th in prem with QPR after 34 games in 2012. Worked my way to the prem by signing good youngsters and paying them pittence. Worgu scored about 30 goals last season and was valued £16m and was on a £3000 a week wage. As a result was raking it in, and was handed a £46m transfer fund this year. Im abit Arsene Wenger like on Fm and dont like to pay too much and prefer to sign young players, used less than half of it.

Starting for the first time to lose money every month now as players keep demanding better contracts. Expanded the stadium to 25,000 but the board say they cant expand anymore as they wouldnt get planning permission! Anyone ever been given a new stadium if they keep pestering?

Think if I am going to progress futher a new stadium is vital to fund better players and higher wages.

I thought billionaire Birnie Ecclestone would give me mega money every year. Its only because Ive created such good finances at the club that I had the given transfer fund.

Currently 7th in prem with QPR after 34 games in 2012. Worked my way to the prem by signing good youngsters and paying them pittence. Worgu scored about 30 goals last season and was valued £16m and was on a £3000 a week wage. As a result was raking it in, and was handed a £46m transfer fund this year. Im abit Arsene Wenger like on Fm and dont like to pay too much and prefer to sign young players, used less than half of it.

Starting for the first time to lose money every month now as players keep demanding better contracts. Expanded the stadium to 25,000 but the board say they cant expand anymore as they wouldnt get planning permission! Anyone ever been given a new stadium if they keep pestering?

Think if I am going to progress futher a new stadium is vital to fund better players and higher wages.

I thought billionaire Birnie Ecclestone would give me mega money every year. Its only because Ive created such good finances at the club that I had the given transfer fund.

You will get a new stadium if you have enough money. In my holiday game, Chelsea, Manchester City, Portsmouth, Arsenal, Liverpool, and now Manchester United have new stadiums. You do need quite a bit of money in the bank.

• 4 weeks later...

Playing as Atalanta in the 2009/2010 season, Aaron Mokoena is my second leading scorer with 8 goals in 11 (9) games :D

Obviously there's a perfectly logical explanation for that, since I have what might be the best corner taker in game; Simon Vukcevic who has 25 assists in 36 games so far. My two other centre halves have 4 and 5 goals respectively.

Started a new game at Peterborough, won the Johnstones paint trophy and got them promoted in second season, kept them in the championship and resigned.

Took over at St.Pauli in German second division won promotion in second season with them, got offered New York job, so I went there, lasted less than as season as they weren't very good.

I am now in my third season with Shandong in China, won the league and cup and now aiming to win the asia champs league and move on. No loyalty in this game

In my 6th season on the psp version (its a watered down version of the main game) Because there is no easy way to get loads of money I have found that the thing to do is to get a load in on a free and then ship them out at 10m a pop (all of them will sign for you) and then you can buy a star player.

Last night was annoying. My line up was:-

(Spellings will be awful here)

Akineev

Clichy

Filipe

Sergio Ramos

Messi

Fabregas

Ben Arfa

Wallcott

Hulk

Torres

Fred

And I got beat 2-0 by Sheff Wed :(

Gutted :(

I am (was) 5 seasons in on the PSP version with Blackburn. I had players like Bojan/Wallcott/Schweinsteiger/Robinio (all apart from Bojan on a free would you believe). Came to load it up the other night and it said load failed as if it hadn't saved properly - gutted.

I am going to start to make a back up save from now on.

think you are gutted eh?? well listen to this - i am currently playing the 2008 version for reasons which speak for themselves. i have just been sacked by the rovers board after 10 seasons in charge. in those 10 seasons i won 4 league titles, 3 league cups and 1 fa cup, and the reason for them sacking me "the board wanted to go in a different direction"!!

DOUBLE GUTTED!!

• Backroom
No point in the holiday mode - your not really playing it if its just simulating everything for you.

When is the next game out?

Plenty of point if you need to skip a few months whilst you're out of work and don't want to keep pressing "continue".

FM comes out around the same time every year - end of october / beginning of November. The initial release will be hounded by bugs, and then take 3 or 4 patches before it's at its best, the final patch normally coming around February.

Hopefully SI employ better beta testers this year, because last year they missed out on a ridiculous amount of bugs.

• Backroom

09 is a good game, the 3D pitch in particular is a really nice touch. However, it is a lot harder, which turned a lot of people off. The tactics have been fine-tuned to the point where they're not fun at all anymore. SI desperately needs to inject the 'fun factor' back into the game, because IMO it's been in decline ever since 07 and the game, whilst still being addictive to me, is becoming increasingly frustrating to play.

09 is a good game, the 3D pitch in particular is a really nice touch. However, it is a lot harder, which turned a lot of people off. The tactics have been fine-tuned to the point where they're not fun at all anymore. SI desperately needs to inject the 'fun factor' back into the game, because IMO it's been in decline ever since 07 and the game, whilst still being addictive to me, is becoming increasingly frustrating to play.

Would totally agree mate, havent been addicted to the game since 07.

the fun factor is needed to be put back in the game

• Backroom

I played it again today, first time in a few weeks... same issues as always. I went on a 7 game winning streak but felt angry because my team were playing poorly despite winning and the media were slagging me off after every victory. Not fun ! Problem is, whenever I do get tactics right and dominate a team, my strikers (Vela and Marquinhos, loan deals, i'm in the Championship) miss all of their chances. I'm sure the older FM games and indeed SI/Eidos branded CM's were no where near this annoying.

Every time I exit 09 I feel frustrated with the game. I honestly wouldn't mind if they missed a year to revamp a lot of what has become stale (the MEDIA especially! Along with the tactical side of the game) and instead just released a new patch and update for 09 this year.

I'd just love to be able to design my own stadium :(

It's funny, isn't it? That would hold no interest for me whatsoever!

Speaking with a chap at work and he said that he 'gees his players up regularly' by issuing press releases about them. I hardly ever do that. Is it common?

The press conferences are dull!

3-1-4-2 still doing OK for me in League 1.

I wouldn't want to design my own stadium either....but I would like more say in deciding what improvements I could make. For example if I wanted to upgrade my ground, I would like to be able to suggest it in an AGM with the board for improvements for the following season and suggest adding 10,000 seats or a new terraced stand. I'd also like to be able to get more involved with the finances such as being able to suggest season ticket prices or decide when to do a £1 for kids scheme.

I guess as the dude above said, the game is becoming stale and there needs to be more interaction with areas where we haven't been able to interact as much before.

Another thing I'd like to include in the game is being able to have a proper career as a manager where you can start off as a youth team manager or a reserves boss manager and maybe work your way up with a chance to boss the International U21s etc.

I can give you a rough idea of something that is coming into the tactics next season. I made a suggestion on the SI forums that

a] players should have individual 'width' settings, and

b] there should be a slider for wide players called 'cut inside' which can be set to rarely/normal/often (like forward runs etc).

One of the makers of the game replied and said they are going to implement something like that into the game this year to replace the freedom lost when sideways arrows were taken out.

I definitely don't want stadium design or anything like that in - it's meant to be a management sim, mangers don't do that sort of thing. I'd rather they spent the majority of their time on the match engine, tactics and AI rather than adding pointless new features which lose their novelty after a few hours play. I'm sick to death of press conferences!

TSR - SI have said they won't spend time programming youth/reserve/U21 management into the game because it's a lot of effort considering most people won't use it.

Going to start a new Rovers game after not playing for a couple of months. I got pretty frustrated with the game, in particular issues with getting two strikers to work, number of injuries, tactics working then suddenly not.

Thinking of playing with a 4312, the middle MC with a Barrow into the DMC slot to put less pressure on my defense and the AMC in the hole behind my two forwards. I know there were issues with the AMC getting low ratings but i think its been fixed a bit on the latest patch.

£5 million budget at the start of the game (on 9.03) for a mid table finish, i think i can maybe push for a uefa cup/europa league place with a few signings. Probably going to sell Roque for £15-20 million (City usually put in an offer) to fund some decent players, Roque has done well for me on past games but i think i can sell him and bring someone in cheaper and just as good.

Archived