BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good fighter Jennings - how did the Cotto loss affect him?

Technically I think he's excellent and works extremely hard. He was great after the Cotto fight, it was a lifetime experience. He's had precious little ring time since then and the Brook fight has been cancelled at least twice which is frustrating. I was surprised by his condition last night - a few weeks a go he was looking significantly bigger (muscular) than last night, I'm wondering how much weight he dropped in a short space. I certainly think Brook's power was really hurting and that's unusual for Mick.

A few things:

- Mayweather is an idiot. He made some racist and foul-mouthed rant on Youtube a couple of weeks ago, and was recently arrested for a ton of felony offenses, including battery.

- Saul Alvarez is looking amazing. He destroyed an over the hill Carlos Baldomir last week. Incredibly he's already had 35 fights at 20 years old.

- Shane Mosley and Sergio Mora had a terrible and fairly controversial draw. I'd like Sugar to retire but I know he won't.

- Two of my favourite fighters, Sergio Martinez and Paul Williams, will fight on Nov 20th here in Atlantic City, in a rematch of one of the best fights of last year.

- Saul Alvarez is looking amazing. He destroyed an over the hill Carlos Baldomir last week. Incredibly he's already had 35 fights at 20 years old.

Despite seeing a limited amount of his fights over here. I like the look of Saul Alvarez too. I was looking through the list of fighters he's fought and apart from a few brothers of famous fighters, he hasn't really fought many fighters who are well known on the world stage despite the 35 fights he's already had.

Do you think it's time he takes it up a level and maybe targets some fighters who have a bigger reputation and are not over the hill?

His record hasn't really been padded since around 2008. He beat Baldomir, Miguel Vazquez (current lightweight champion) and Jose Miguel Cotto (31-1 before their fight). Euri Gonzalez and Gabriel Martinez were good wins too.

But yes, he'll definitely be taking a step up, maybe after a couple more fights. Andre Berto is out there, so is Clottey or Miguel Cotto. It'd be really interesting to see him take on someone at that level, as his defence isn't perfect yet, so he could lose, but he has huge punching power and great speed.

• 2 months later...

Wow. Too tired to write a full report but if anybody has any interest in boxing whatsoever they need to make sure they watch Khan/Maidana. That was truly engaging stuff. Incredibly jealous of Glenn who was there!

Wow. Too tired to write a full report but if anybody has any interest in boxing whatsoever they need to make sure they watch Khan/Maidana. That was truly engaging stuff. Incredibly jealous of Glenn who was there!

Best fight of 2010 for me. 2 fighters that genuinely wanted to win and fought their hearts out. I thought Khan had it in the bag after the 1st knockdown, but credit to Maidana, he came back very strong.

How Khan survived the 10th round, only he knows. Those that doubted that "Amir doesn't have a chin" or "he's got a glass chin", have been well and truly been proved wrong.

Great ad for boxing, and over the moon Amir has won.

Love it!!! rover.gif

Great fight to watch and Khan proved that he can take his shots at 140. Khan's first round body shots were sensational, and his retreating tactics late on were pretty clever, though the ref let him hold way too much. In the end I had it a round or two wider than the judges. Hopefully a lot of the brawling was just to prove something to himself and he'll stick to his assets - probably the fastest hands in the whole sport - from here on. He certainly looks more than capable of taking on Bradley and Alexander, though Roach's talk of him fighting Floyd is premature and OTT. Getting tagged as much as he did by someone as slow as Maidana shows he still has room to improve.

Great fight to watch and Khan proved that he can take his shots at 140. Khan's first round body shots were sensational, and his retreating tactics late on were pretty clever, though the ref let him hold way too much. In the end I had it a round or two wider than the judges. Hopefully a lot of the brawling was just to prove something to himself and he'll stick to his assets - probably the fastest hands in the whole sport - from here on. He certainly looks more than capable of taking on Bradley and Alexander, though Roach's talk of him fighting Floyd is premature and OTT. Getting tagged as much as he did by someone as slow as Maidana shows he still has room to improve.

Great fight and yeah he has to improve a bit before he takes on Floyd. He's looking stronger in every fight which is very promising. Can't wait to see the power shots he'll start dishing out after a couple more fights. Hand speed and power,a bit like a certain FM Jnr...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hayefaker / Klitschko (either one) is still not going to happen. Talks fell through as there "was no good TV date available in the UK until July." The Royal Wedding was blamed for taking up the best available date in April. Seriously. So Wlad has resigned to fight Dereck Chisora in April and either one of the brothers will probably fight Tomas Adamek later in the year.

Haye's mandatory is Ruslan Chagaev, but that fight is unlikely to happen because Chagaev has hepatitis and can't get licensed to fight in the UK.

Boxing, especially the heavyweight division, loses out again.

It's the fight everybody wants to happen....except Haye or the Klitchko brothers.

The Wedding is a @#/? excuse, especially as that will be on in the morning and boxing in the evening.....if anything, more people will be in a party mood and would get the fight.

• 4 weeks later...

Khan's people are getting in touch with katsidis's people tonight! Hopefully be all signed and sealed to fight on the 16th April at the MEN Arena!

Definitely getting tickets for this and wearing my team katsidis tshirt :) he is my favourite boxer! Proper nice guy, great entertainer and took on some very tough opponents! He will not shy away from anyone!

I know boxing and I am well aware he is not the best but he is always on the front foot! Good to see :)

Cannot call this one after seeing khan v maidana.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Pac man strolling to victory and only really changed gear after he was pushed over.

Nothing more than a sparring contest though and a bit of a pathetic show from Moseley. Manny has to fight Mayweather now.

The undercard was way better.

Archived