BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

I did Abbs. Started badly but by the end the other fella just didn't want to be there. Watched one of the other fights afterwards - Conception (sp?) vs Hammond. Cracking entertainment.

Anyone got any predictions for Froch tonight? Kessler in Denmark is a really tough ask. My head tells me that Carl can't rely on his chin to keep him out of trouble but my heart says he can still pull out a result. I've not seen all of the Ward/Kessler fight but by all accounts Kessler looked terrible (although Ward fought incredibly dirty throughout). Also, Froch has come through some tests from very good fighters recently, while Kessler has been pretty inactive.

The Kessler who lost to Calzaghe would beat Froch. Let's hope he's on the way down right now.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whats it on? time?

Primttime PPV (£15 or so) - channel 480. Think the fight is at 9pm. I was gonna buy it but going out with some mates now so gonna chance avoiding the result and seeing if there's a torrent up in the morning.

I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and decided to watch the Roy Jones v Hopkins fight, what a farce and a complete was of $100, they hardly laid a hand on each other.

As for tonight, if Kessler shows anything like the form he did against Calzaghe then Froch is in for a tough night.

Just saw the re-run of the Mayweather v Mosley fight. Wow, despite Mosley being a tough strong fighter, Mayweather dominated the fight from start to finish to prove to any of his doubters just how great he is.

There is only one fight left for him now and that is Pacquiao.

Surely if Pacquiao wants to become the best then he has to take the blood and urine test. This is the most requested fight on the planet. For the sake of the sport, both fighters need to make this happen.

Thought it was surprisingly one-sided. I expected Mayweather to win comfortably but not that comfortably. The second round was a cracker though - Mosley really got through a couple of times. I can't remember the last time anybody ever hurt him like that, if ever.

The fight between Mayweather and Pacquio surely has to happen now, there's nothing left for either of them in terms of a good challenge, at least from what I've seen.

It would be a huge shame for boxing if they never meet.

Calzaghe tipped for a return

I was always a big fan of Calzaghe and would like to see him in the ring again, whether he can still go at his age remains to be seen but the last time he boxed he still looked pretty good after an early scare.

Mosley was dominated as expected. The only surprises were the second round and the fact that PBF eschewed defence and speed for offense and speed. No slight on Mosley, as he's had a great career, but at this point he's not in the same class, and it was obviously long before the fight began.

If the Manny - Floyd fight can't be made, I'd love to see PBF step up to fight Sergio Martinez or Paul Williams. Stepping up yet again and taking on one of the best at 160 would be yet another feather in Mayweather's cap, which is all he seems to be interested in now, and it could be the only option for him if there isn't going to be a #1 PFP contest.

But then, not many fights like that get made. In the last week we've seen Maidana avoid Bradley, Darchinyan and Donaire avoid a rematch and Stieglitz avoid Bute. Instead we have to deal with rubbish like Klitschko - Sosnowski.

Some great fights on the undercard last Saturday, at least. Look out for Saul Alvarez in the future.

Look out for Saul Alvarez in the future.

He looked good once he got over the shock of nearly being floored early doors. Showed some real boxing ability - as you say is going to be top drawer pretty quickly. 30+ pro fights a only 19 yrs old too!

He looked good once he got over the shock of nearly being floored early doors. Showed some real boxing ability - as you say is going to be top drawer pretty quickly. 30+ pro fights a only 19 yrs old too!

I thought that it was incredible that he stayed up - he looked in real trouble. Impressive chin and like you say his experience at such a young age will stand him in good stead for the future. Once he got into the fight he was far too slick for Cotto. Has a lot to live up to if he's going to be "the future of Mexican boxing" but looks like he has a decent chance.

Did anyone see the first televised fight (on Sky)? At work so can't look up the names but there were three knockdowns in the first two minutes. Amazing stuff - gave me a much-needed boost at 2am to keep me going until the start of Mayweather/Mosley.

As an aside - how good is 24/7 on HBO? To be honest most of the time they're far superior to the fights themselves. They do a great job of building up matchups (even if they are building up the underdogs to sell PPV orders) and they're always immaculately presented.

Said Ouali won the first fight. It'd be great to see him take on Alvarez.

24/7 is a great show. I thought this one lacked the interest of previous versions, as Mosley isn't very engaging and PBF's villain routine is getting stale. Nazim Richardson was the most interesting part of the show this time around.

Looking forward to watching my favourite boxer at present on the 15th May as Katsidis takes on Mitchell. I know Katsidis isnt the best boxer in the world but surely one of the most entertaining.

His fight with Earl had one of the best rounds i have witnessed in a professional boxing ring.

Also, think Khan's glass jaw will be found again against Pauli.

Devon Alexander is one to watch, he can only get better.

I think it's becoming increasingly unlikely that we'll ever see Ricky Hatton fight again unless he ends up being short of cash. It's a shame because I was always a big fan of his but then I give him full credit not stepping back in there just for the sake of it. He obviously wanted to take on the best fighters to become one of the best and came up short, I get the impression that if he can't improve and step up to that level then there is no point in coming back and simply beating lesser fighters which is something I respect.

I think Khan will comfortably outbox Pauli, he's impressed me with his last few fights, it's true his chin will always remain suspect until he proves otherwise, I think he still has a ton of potential though, needs a few more wins against tougher opposition though before we really know how good he is, or isn't as the case may be.

For me, khan comletely shuts out Pauli. Pauli has heart so may avoid the knockout but roach has worked very hard on giving khan power in both hands and he might slip enough hurtful punches through to get the ko.

Although mitchell should have too much class for katsidis it will be interesting to see how he reacts to a crisis. Kat may just land a bomb or two to take Mitchell out of his comfort zone. Hope I'm wrong but can see an upset ko. Should be a cracking fight though regardless of the winner and method of victory.

I reckon that Malignaggi to win on points could be worth a punt. Think the longest I’ve seen with a bookies is 8/1 and slightly over 10/1 on betfair. I’d expect Khan to win on points – but with Paulie being the home fighter – and probably the first decent fighter Khan has fought in their peak years – the points victory for Paulie is well over priced.

Waiting for the Katsidis - Mitchell fight. Upton Park looks like a great venue.

Split loyalties for this fight as I love Katsidis, he's not technically great but a real road warrior. He's a big step up in quality for Mitchell, as Mendoza was shot and Prescott wasn't the fighter those 14 seconds with Khan made him seem.

BTW in the US they just showed some young heavyweight, Mike Perez, KO his opponent in the 1st, then come back out to fight someone else and KO them in the 3rd. Epic.

Archived