BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

Cant see anyone challenging for World Titles but Fury has a chance to aim for European (despite the dodgy win over McDermott) level

Fury was really disappointing against McDermott - but it was a big step up for him and he's not had many fights. I'd agree with you on him being a European level fighter - don't think he's got the power to be a World Class fighter unfortunately. I had him soundly beaten by McDermott.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What are everyone’s predictions for Cotto-Pacquiao then? I fancy Cotto to cause an upset. This will be the hardest Pacquiao has been hit in his career – and he was stopped twice by much lighter punchers in his early days. I can see Cotto starting slowly, but Pacquiao struggling to break through his excellent defences. Cotto will wear him down before stopping him in the latter rounds in my opinion – body punches taking their toll. I’ve just got £10 on Cotto to win either 10,11 or 12 at 20-1 with Paddy Power so far. Sportingbet are also offering a decent price of 9-1 on Cotto to win in the second half of the fight – but I can’t seem to deposit anything on there at the moment.

Guest Kamy100

Looking forward to this fight, for me it has the potential to be fight of the year.

No doubt that this will be the hardest that the Pacquiao has been ever hit and will be good to see how he handles this, however I think that is superior speed will give him the edge over Cotto.

Should be great though!

I really can't pick a winner of this one (I'm notoriously bad at predicting boxing at the best of times). Every time I've gone against Manny he has proven me wrong, but you've just got to wonder if he can handle the power that Cotto is bringing. I think Manny may have to win early because Cotto could do some serious damage later on. Saying that, it could wind up in a situation where Manny is simply too quick over the 12 rounds and wins a wide UD. I really don't know.

Therefore, I'm going to use the most reliable indicator of a boxing match that I've known so far - whoever has Bernard Hopkins in their corner whispering things to them before the fight is going to lose.

Therefore, I'm going to use the most reliable indicator of a boxing match that I've known so far - whoever has Bernard Hopkins in their corner whispering things to them before the fight is going to lose.

:lol:

I think they're both promoted by Bob Arum so Golden Boy wont be involved. So no B-Hop. Could be wrong, they might have wangled their way in somewhere.

It's an intriguing fight the more you think about it. Manny is beatable but on the roll of his life, Cotto looked awesome before his loss, which has since been shown to have been questionable. God knows who's going to win. I'll pick Manny with a late stoppage.

Decent fight between Cotto and Pacman - absolutely no need for the ref to step in and stop the fight, but there you go.

Cotto lost his head in the early rounds and Pacman caught him with a few excellent shots to floor him twice. Cotto actually looked on top when he boxed sensibly, but he kept on getting involved in a street fight and there's only one winner there with Pacman's speed.

However, Cotto showed why Mayweather would take Pacman apart - when he went on the defensive and looked to counter punch Pacman struggled massively to hurt him. Mayweather's made a living out of doing that, and he's bigger than Pacman. Whether that fight would ever happen is another matter - it's got a chance because Mayweather's motivated entirely by money and that'd be a huge earner.

Massive win for Andre Ward against Mikkel Kessler in the Super 6 last night.

Shaping up to be a very interesting tournament.

It certainly asks a lot of questions and sets up the remainder of the tournament.

Froch - bit of a hometown decision against Dirrell and his speed has been questioned. His chin has got him out of trouble before but he looked hurt once or twice against Dirrell who is far from the biggest puncher.

Dirrell - had the speed to outbox Froch and may have got unlucky with his decision. However, it is unlikely he will be able to do that to any other fighter in the 6 and showed a lack of killer instinct.

Kessler - many peoples' tournament favourite but lost to an unfancied Ward and has not been active recently. Worries that his style has been exposed and that Calzaghe's victory against him might not be so impressive in retrospect.

Taylor - a busted flush IMO. Pavlik has taken it out of him and he took big shots from both Froch and Abraham. Can't see him progressing.

Ward - upset Kessler but did so in his hometown with a very generous referee. His rough-house tactics probably won't work anywhere else. Is supposedly a better prospect than Dirrell though so has to be watched.

Abraham - wondered about his ability to carry across his power to super-middleweight but comfortably beat Taylor over 12 rounds then knocked him out with a monster shot. This made him look more impressive than Froch although he did so in his hometown.

What this proves is that the tournament is wide open. Froch and Kessler were probably the bookies' favourites but neither impressed in the first fight. Indeed, with the two due to fight next, Froch could potentially knock Kessler out of the running before the semi-final stage. Either way, I really wouldn't like to bet on a winner of this thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wladimir Klitschko calls out David Haye

Well this fight will surely take place with Wladimir calling out Haye. It's the fight Haye wanted so surely they'll be able to agree a deal for the fight.

I'm glad it seems to be happening, heavyweight boxing is about as bad as it's been but this is probably about as good a fight as they could put on other than the two brothers battling it out which will never happen, it would probably be a snoozefest anyway.

I'm not really sure who will win, the Klitschko's bore me so much I've barely sat through the whole of one of their fights, Haye will at least try and throw some combo's and let us know how good Wladimir really is. If he gets through that then the Vitali fight would surely come next with the russian hoping to defend his brother's honour and Haye looking to conquer all 3 the Easter European champions. 1 down, 2 to go.

On Haye: I think he has more chance against Vitali, but here's hoping Wlad's jab isn't too much for him.

I watched Kelly Pavlik lose his middleweight titles to Sergio Martinez here in AC last night. It was an absolute war. Pavlik looks a shadow of the fighter he used to be. Great fight and undercard including the son of Thomas Hearns winning with a 1st round KO.

In other, weirder news, former lightweight champion and alcoholic maniac Edwin Valero's 27-0 career appears to be over after he was arrested for murdering his wife.

On Haye: I think he has more chance against Vitali, but here's hoping Wlad's jab isn't too much for him.

I watched Kelly Pavlik lose his middleweight titles to Sergio Martinez here in AC last night. It was an absolute war. Pavlik looks a shadow of the fighter he used to be. Great fight and undercard including the son of Thomas Hearns winning with a 1st round KO.

In other, weirder news, former lightweight champion and alcoholic maniac Edwin Valero's 27-0 career appears to be over after he was arrested for murdering his wife.

Well more than Valero's career is over now, he's committed suicide.

Definitely a very troubled individual.

Never really rated Pavlik. Moving up to fight Hopkins was suicide in hindsight, although I confess to thinking he had a punchers chance at the time. I think Joe Calzaghe would have humiliated him in a Jeff Lacy-esque way if they’d actually fought a couple of years back when it was a possibility.

Crazy news about Valero too. Sounds like the guy had some serious, serious issues. He was a pure knockout artist, who would have been a nightmare for somebody like Amir Khan.

Never really rated Pavlik. Moving up to fight Hopkins was suicide in hindsight, although I confess to thinking he had a punchers chance at the time. I think Joe Calzaghe would have humiliated him in a Jeff Lacy-esque way if they’d actually fought a couple of years back when it was a possibility.

Crazy news about Valero too. Sounds like the guy had some serious, serious issues. He was a pure knockout artist, who would have been a nightmare for somebody like Amir Khan.

I first saw Pavlik against Edison Miranda funnily enough, he looked very impressive and went on to look equally so twice against Jermain Taylor. At the time he was one of the most exciting fighters around, I dont know whether Taylor's demise since then can be credited to Pavlik or if it should be seen as detracting from his record. At the time Taylor was undefeated and had beaten Bernard Hopkins twice. The middleweight/super middleweight picture is a very convaluted one right now, Froch/Kessler at the weekend should answer some questions.

Archived