BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer And Reffing Howlers

Flopsy

1) I've been asked by a journo friend who's doing an article on Shearer whether Rovers have honoured Shearer in anyway, such as the geordies have: Statues, ultra-tacky bars etc.

I couldnt think of anything other than ritulistic booing when ever he comes to ewood.

2) the other one was Reffing howlers, he's got the berg/sharpe one in 94 against Man Ure and the Tevez goal line clearance from 2007, I was wondering whether there were any other blindingly horrendous decisions you could think off.

Cheers in advance

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldnt think of anything other than ritulistic booing when ever he comes to ewood.

I love the guy to bits however, I do remember when he came to Ewood in a cup game for Newcastle and scored but instead of doing his normal arm up in the air celebration how point with one hand to his badge and one hand to the Blackburn End - there was a little booing then :lol: What was worse is that it seemed to be directed right at me (then again I guess everyone in the Blackburn End at that point would have said the same)

I do wish that he could be honored in some sort of a way for what he did for us but then again he is more of a Geordie Hero than a Rovers one isn't he - I dont think he will be 'Mr Blackburn' like Garner is.

1) I've been asked by a journo friend who's doing an article on Shearer whether Rovers have honoured Shearer in anyway, such as the geordies have: Statues, ultra-tacky bars etc.

2) the other one was Reffing howlers, he's got the berg/sharpe one in 94 against Man Ure and the Tevez goal line clearance from 2007, I was wondering whether there were any other blindingly horrendous decisions you could think off.

Cheers in advance

Didn't Wilcox get sent of for dropping the ball at a throw in?

Not sure of the players/team involved, but ...a couple of seasons ago didn't James Beattie blast the ball at Nelsen's arm from about a yard away at the half way line(ish) and Nelsen got sent off for it?

The Cisse offside?

Perez sent off for having the audacity to let Le Saux punch him?

Virtually every Man U game for the last 10 years?

Didn't Wilcox get sent of for dropping the ball at a throw in?

Not sure of the players/team involved, but ...a couple of seasons ago didn't James Beattie blast the ball at Nelsen's arm from about a yard away at the half way line(ish) and Nelsen got sent off for it?

The Cisse offside?

Perez sent off for having the audacity to let Le Saux punch him?

Virtually every Man U game for the last 10 years?

1) No idea, sounds likely though the thug

2) Cheers

3) Mentioned

4) OO forgot that - any more details

5) Definately mentioned that

Also any non rovers related ones are okay too

There was the 1-1 match on 28th August 2004, when Manchester United were awarded four minutes of extra time after Fergie openly consulted with the ref after he had the time on his board but before he put it up.

In the final minute, following a dubious free kick against Dwight Yorke, Sholes kicked the ball forward, Louis Saha handballed the ball into the path of Alan Smith who scored. Replays quite clearly showed the handball. Referee was Alan Wiley.

Amoruso had already been sent off round about the 70th minute and Brad Friedel had an absolute stonker, saving everything that came his way.

match report here

Halsey also sent Zurab off and awarded a free kick at a Liverpool match a couple of seasons ago 15/10/05 at Anfield - Zurab's card was later rescinded but too late, Liverpool had won the match from the free kick and gleefully taken the three points.

match report here

I could be remembering a different incident, but wasn't Savage's only club sending off from that? Didn't he get a yellow for running around in the centre circle, and then a second yellow for looking the other way as the ball was blasted at his hand from three feet away in the middle of the park?

I could be remembering a different incident, but wasn't Savage's only club sending off from that? Didn't he get a yellow for running around in the centre circle, and then a second yellow for looking the other way as the ball was blasted at his hand from three feet away in the middle of the park?

That was against Middlesbrough - looking for the match report now.

match report Middlesbrough - ref Chris Foy, Savage carded because of a tackle in which he won the ball and then for an extremely dubious handball - the ball was kicked straight at his arm, he could do nothing about it. I remember the guy who often bangs off about his Christian Ethics, one Mr George Boateng, being the offender and the one who made the main fuss about it to the referee. Savage was gutted. Luckily for us, we won the match down to Craig Bellamy and sheer stoicism from the rest of the team.

4) OO forgot that - any more details

Also any non rovers related ones are okay too

Rovers -v- Chelsea under Hodgson.

Perez went to take a throw in. Le Saux impeded him and then punched him. Perez didn't retaliate. Both players sent off...

Why revert to non-Rovers ones when can fill a book with them before we start with anyone else!?!

Graham Poll booking Josip Simunic three times in the Australia v Croatia game in 2006 World Cup thereby losing the refereeing job for the final in the process. That virtually ended his erm illustrious career.

You can read his exploits here: - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/ju...cup2006.sport19

match report - Southampton 21/08/2004

Andy D'urso sent Craig Short off in injury time for flattening James Beattie in the penalty area. James Beattie clearly jumped above Craig and then fell to the ground.

Andy Cole also got a dubious red card in the previous year's meeting at Southampton, the referee here was Steve Bennett.

I remember seeing a thing on third eye years ago when Eion Jess gained a free kick for Aberdeen. He was dribbling with the ball and clearly tripped over his own feet accidently as an opposition player ran past him.

And of course there was E-Hiaj Diouf's blatant flying dive to give Bolton a penalty a couple of years ago.

Halsey also sent Zurab off and awarded a free kick at a Liverpool match a couple of seasons ago 15/10/05 at Anfield - Zurab's card was later rescinded but too late, Liverpool had won the match from the free kick and gleefully taken the three points.

match report here

Sorry to be pedantic mum. You're quite riight that the Zurab challenge should never have been a red card and was later rescinded, but the goal did not come from the free kick. From what I can remember, Riise hit the bar from the free kick following the Zurab foul in the first half. Djibril Cisse scored from a different free kick midway through the second half.

Sorry to be pedantic mum. You're quite riight that the Zurab challenge should never have been a red card and was later rescinded, but the goal did not come from the free kick. From what I can remember, Riise hit the bar from the free kick following the Zurab foul in the first half. Djibril Cisse scored from a different free kick midway through the second half.

lol that'll teach me to check properly! I remember being pretty mad about Zurab at the time and heard someone else say they won the match because of the resultant free kick. Time for breakfast methinks...

edit: in any case - we all know Zurab would have stopped Cisse don't we :oB)

Grabbi, on or just after his debut, playing against the munichs. Legitimate shoulder charge to win the ball off a dribbling Bartez, calmly slotted into the net. Thats right the ref gave a free kick to them!

Grabbi never really recovered. Instant hero status denied!

Grabbi, on or just after his debut, playing against the munichs. Legitimate shoulder charge to win the ball off a dribbling Bartez, calmly slotted into the net. Thats right the ref gave a free kick to them!

Grabbi never really recovered. Instant hero status denied!

Was that the same game where Short was sent off and as everyone was watching him leave the field (but he was still 10 yards onto the pitch) the ref let Beckham take the resultant free kick which he scored?

The incident involving Fergie telling the third official how much time to add on still makes my blood boil!

George Courtney - Palace away :angry:

Didn't Barry Ferguson once get 2 yellow cards but not sent off whilst 'playing' for us? Think it might have been a Southampton away game?

Yes he did I was just about to mention that. It ended up 2-2 but Ferguson later got the ban.

The referee howler on the weekend at the Watford-Reading game.

The Tevez goal at Ewood. Didn't cross the line, plus he was offside!!

Luis Garcia goal in Champions League VS Chelsea. Always one for debate.

Gerrard dive VS Sheff Utd on first day of the season. (can people remind me who stepped up to score the Penalty ? :P)

Archived