BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer And Reffing Howlers

Flopsy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Wilcox get sent of for dropping the ball at a throw in?

Not sure of the players/team involved, but ...a couple of seasons ago didn't James Beattie blast the ball at Nelsen's arm from about a yard away at the half way line(ish) and Nelsen got sent off for it?

Yupp, that happened.

Luis Garcia goal in Champions League VS Chelsea. Always one for debate.

I've always hated the debate about the goal. Chelsea fans, players and staff always ignore the fact that they were actually lucky that the goal was given. The correct refereeing decision was in fact a red card for Cech and a penalty for Liverpool. Cech completely flattened Baros just before Garcia's shot.

Early 70's away at Rochdale. They shot; a goal kick was given; one of their players, I'm pretty sure, was sent off for arguing. Avery short time later, the ref changed his mind, the player was allowed back on the pitch. More pandemonium, this time in the stands amongst the Rovers fans.

Early 70's away at Rochdale. They shot; a goal kick was given; one of their players, I'm pretty sure, was sent off for arguing. Avery short time later, the ref changed his mind, the player was allowed back on the pitch. More pandemonium, this time in the stands amongst the Rovers fans.

1973/4 Rochdale 1 Rovers 2. Remember that well, i was near most of the rovers fans but not behind the goal. the ball clearly went under the bar but a rovers fan scooped the ball from under the net and threw it into the crowd. The linesman, dumb**s, saw the ball in the crowd and waved his flag , called over the ref who disallowed the goal. Mayhem ensued... several bookings and i think it was a black guy called Leon Skeate who was sent off. The other linesman got involved the goal was given and the Rochdale player wrongly brought back on (abusing a ref isn't ok just because you happen to be right). I think that was the opening goal.

He didn't exactly drop it, he deliberately threw it behind him in an act of petulance and received a second yellow.

Notts Forest away I believe it was.

He let it roll away from his hand. He was stood on the touchline when he dropped it and the ball stopped rolling within 4ft of turf.... It didn't even reach the cinder track ffs! Tell you how unjust it was even Trevor Brooking was taking the p1ss out of the ref and the rule that evening on MoTD.

Just as an aside .... after forking out for a ticket, using a tankful of petrol driving to Nottm and back. something to eat and a few beers it helped put me off travelling to away matches (sitting amongst knobheads who want to stand up all 90 mins forcing everybody else to do so whilst chanting '£2 an hour' finished me off). I still go to away matches but only to the special ones. To have an expensive day out ruined as a competition by an imbecile and/or his assistants interpreting stupid rules stupidly is not for me and since the ridiculous 94 World Cup it happens all too freqently.

He let it roll away from his hand. He was stood on the touchline when he dropped it and the ball stopped rolling within 4ft of turf.... It didn't even reach the cinder track ffs! Tell you how unjust it was even Trevor Brooking was taking the p1ss out of the ref and the rule that evening on MoTD.

Just as an aside .... after forking out for a ticket, using a tankful of petrol driving to Nottm and back. something to eat and a few beers it helped put me off travelling to away matches (sitting amongst knobheads who want to stand up all 90 mins forcing everybody else to do so whilst chanting '£2 an hour' finished me off). I still go to away matches but only to the special ones. To have an expensive day out ruined as a competition by an imbecile and/or his assistants interpreting stupid rules stupidly is not for me and since the ridiculous 94 World Cup it happens all too freqently.

One of our finest away matches was against Forest, think it ended up 6-1 to us. They had pineapple head playing for them at the time and possibly brian roy.

You're missing some treats, then, Drog. Saturday's turn-out was excellent as have all the away matches I've been to recently. Love the away trips, even when they sit us in the disabled section in the middle of Portsmouth and Liverpool fans. Not for the fainthearted, that.

I think it was 5-1 and 7-0.

It was indeed and it was a provilege to witness the equal highest aggregate double in Rovers' history.

I miss having Forest in the Prem.

Before the 7-0 there were two 4-1 home wins and the aggregate score in the three consecutive doubles ran out at 24-3 if I remember correctly .

On leaving the City Ground after the 5-1, a Forest fan simply said to me "I wish you lot would leave us alone."

Incidentally, Forest came to Ewood for the 7-0 thrashing lying second in the Prem and on the back of a 25 game unbeaten run.

Archived