BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Speed Camera's Again

Just to bring this back to its original topic, speeding.

Over the past couple of years, there's been a very high profile speeding case in Sydney.

It Involved a former High Court judge and his car, caught by a speed camera.

He decided to lie about who was driving, He got found out. Not only that, he tried to weazle his way out. The deeper it got, the more complex it got.

Anyway, he got three years in the can (with 12 months off for being a good boy), mainly for trying to pervert the course of justice, which I might add was flicking the blame to someone else.

All for a (at the time) $77.00 fine

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to bring this back to its original topic, speeding.

Over the past couple of years, there's been a very high profile speeding case in Sydney.

It Involved a former High Court judge and his car, caught by a speed camera.

He decided to lie about who was driving, He got found out. Not only that, he tried to weazle his way out. The deeper it got, the more complex it got.

Anyway, he got three years in the can (with 12 months off for being a good boy), mainly for trying to pervert the course of justice, which I might add was flicking the blame to someone else.

All for a (at the time) $77.00 fine

Plus the demerit points he stood to lose.

Let's not forget that.

I just heard the way that cops prove their case.

It is positively scary and you would need to have photographic memory to get out of it.

They check cctv, credit card accounts, Bank accounts, GPS, mobile phones bills and the SIM card

company records that show where that phone was at any point of time of the day.

Match all the fine details and the coppers can tell what time you got up, when you used your phone, used the atm, what you had for lunch paid on the credit card, and where you went.

Those are just the obvious day to day things we use.

And people worry about having an ID card!

From the LET story.

Four weather monitoring stations in Belmont, Bacup, Longridge and Preston, were also damaged by vandals between December and January, which are thought to have wrongly been identified them as speed cameras. The damage will cost £20,000 to put right.

Anti-camera protesters really are stupid in mind and deed.

• 1 month later...

Boss of Britain's largest speed camera firm is banned from driving after doing 102mph...

Tom Riall, the chief executive of Serco, which has provided more than 5,000 speed cameras in the UK has appeared at Sudbury Magistrates' Court and pleaded guilty to driving at 102.9mph on the A14 on 4 January, 2009.

On Serco's website it states the company prides itself on providing "robust evidence" of drivers' speeding. Mr Riall, who is the chief executive responsible for installing and maintaining speed cameras, was banned from driving for six months and had six points added to his licence.

LINK HERE

Boss of Britain's largest speed camera firm is banned from driving after doing 102mph...

Tom Riall, the chief executive of Serco, which has provided more than 5,000 speed cameras in the UK has appeared at Sudbury Magistrates' Court and pleaded guilty to driving at 102.9mph on the A14 on 4 January, 2009.

And your point is?

Come on Colin, that was a perfectly reasonable post for this thread.

Why do so many messageboard members allow personal vendettas to cloud their judgement?

And your point is?

colin.  bloke who cycles to work in a desperate area of manchester ... from a desperate area of manchester ...  usually very readable observations on the messageboard which should raise a chuckle ... potential failed guardian journalist ... has totally misjudged this one though ... maybe total sense of humour failure? ... he never worked the bus lane thing out either ... ... ...   keep under observation (drugs if necessary)

:!:

An interesting point:

Just listening to a scientist who has made the point that the environment that we drive in, that is large street signs, quieter more efficient cars etc is part of the problem of road accidents.

He sites the situation of a town in Holland, where they removed all the road signs, and just told drivers to do what they used to do, that is, take responsibility. The number of accidents actually fell.

Read an article in the Wall Street Journal while this section was closed, talking about speed cameras. For all of you "safety" advocates, it pointed out that rear-end collisions actually INCREASE in areas with speed cameras.

Read an article in the Wall Street Journal while this section was closed, talking about speed cameras. For all of you "safety" advocates, it pointed out that rear-end collisions actually INCREASE in areas with speed cameras.

Additionally, people think that ABS braking systems will get them out of trouble. All ABS systems do is keep the car straight, but take a bigger distance to stop, so, if you are a "tailgater" you'll not stop in time.

Additionally, people think that ABS braking systems will get them out of trouble. All ABS systems do is keep the car straight, but take a bigger distance to stop, so, if you are a "tailgater" you'll not stop in time.

Thats not correct, if used correctly you stop quicker and you can still still steer while braking to the max without skidding,

I worked for Haldex ABS as an engineer for a long time!

well then, you must be right.

I'd rather that I stopped straight.

Not if you had the chance to steer clear safely you wouldn't,

that is one of the main reasons for cars going out of control under heavy braking, they skid and therefore the driver loses control and usually hits something, that can be avoided with ABS

that is one of the main reasons for cars going out of control under heavy braking, they skid and therefore the driver loses control and usually hits something, that can be avoided with ABS

like I said, you're the one that knows.

You're the one with full knowledge of driving techniques etc....

Come on Colin, that was a perfectly reasonable post for this thread.

Why do so many messageboard members allow personal vendettas to cloud their judgement?

TFE,

Because it's a non sequitur. Just because the bloke owns a company that makes speed cameras has been done for speeding is of little interest. He runs the business to make a living. It doesn't mean that he is some kind of campaigner for road safety or speed reduction.

It may be slightly ironic, but I don't think Smithy does "slightly ironic." If he does, then apologies all round.

ABS will save you in a straight line, (possibly), but not if you swerve or are doing anything that isnt in a perfectly straight line.

100+ on the A14 at 13:00 hrs during a weekday? The recession must be worse than I thought to allow that

ABS will save you in a straight line, (possibly), but not if you swerve or are doing anything that isnt in a perfectly straight line.

100+ on the A14 at 13:00 hrs during a weekday? The recession must be worse than I thought to allow that

that is not correct, ABS allows you to steer while applying the brakes hard

I can vouch for that.

sounds like you have had a close call, the difference while brakeing hard with ABS is quite dramatic,

A trip to the MIRA test track would dispell any doubts people have about ABS, a good dayout too!

Archived