BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Speed Camera's Again

In fact if it could be categorised and measured as easily I'd wager that the vast majority of MWay accidents are caused by bad driving rather than speed. Speed being the soft target.

Speed being the killer Gord.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The facts are chaps, speed kills. The faster you are travelling when an accident occurs, the more the number of people that will die. Hopefully you can all take that aboard and learn.

THEN WHY ISN'T THE MAXIMUM SPEED LIMIT 10 MILES AN HOUR OR DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT THE CHILDREN THAT HAVE DIED AFTER BEING HIT BY CARS DOING 15 MILES AN HOUR. AND NO - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LAUGH UNLESS YOU ARE DEN(SE).

THEN WHY ISN'T THE MAXIMUM SPEED LIMIT 10 MILES AN HOUR OR DO YOU NOT CARE ABOUT THE CHILDREN THAT HAVE DIED AFTER BEING HIT BY CARS DOING 15 MILES AN HOUR. AND NO - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LAUGH UNLESS YOU ARE DEN(SE).

You had better join the others in denial of the facts then Tashor. There's a queue.

Speed limits are set for a reason, road safety.

Accidents happen of course they do and children and pedestrians do get killed by motorists who are actually under the speed limits.

If you speed then you run the risk of accidents on a higher percentage than a driver who doesnt speed.

or making an accident worse. If you're doing 90 and have a blow out on a front tire, its going to hurt a hell of a lot more than if you were travelling at 70, or 80 even.

Just a note about the changing of the National Speed Limit to 50, as I understand it, if you see the white circle with the black diagonal, it would mean a 50 limit instead of the 60 as of now. I expect dual carriageways to become 60 isntead of the 70 as of now. Local highway authorities, however, are quite in there right to set the speed limits on any of their roads to 60mph, they just need to post 60 repeater roundels, as you would see in a 40 limit. But if your out on a rural road with no repeaters, its NSL and therefore 50.

I believe the thinking is, that if you know a speed limit is 60, most people will do 60 - 70 whereas, set at 50, it'll be between 50 and 60. Making any collisions that do occur that bit less serious.

Obviously it's way past time to review the MWay speed limit AND imo enforce better driving habits. Proper Lane discipline , slow driving, phone use and the enforcement of the 'Mirror signal manouevre' practice should be reinforced if we really want to maximise the benefits of our MWays. There is easily as much bad driving as speeding but nobody (and certainly not the police) even seem to care a fig about that. In fact if it could be categorised and measured as easily I'd wager that the vast majority of MWay accidents are caused by bad driving rather than speed. Speed being the soft target.

That's an excellent set of suggestions to improve driving standards. How is your solution going to be put into practice though? Given that many posters on here are too dozy to see a whacking great bright yellow speed camera casing; speed/safety camera signs; & road markings; how do you thing your suggestions might be implemented?

Put him on ignore - has made my life happier, except when everyone quotes him!

I have to agree with you Charlie. He is a total WUM and the best thing to do is to put him on ignore. Thanks for the suggestion.

That's an excellent set of suggestions to improve driving standards. How is your solution going to be put into practice though? Given that many posters on here are too dozy to see a whacking great bright yellow speed camera casing; speed/safety camera signs; & road markings; how do you thing your suggestions might be implemented?

1. Like they used to do when policing was better.

2. Like they do in Spain.

It's simply a case of prioritising duties as against shirking em.

1. Like they used to do when policing was better.

2. Like they do in Spain.

It's simply a case of prioritising duties as against shirking em.

Is it the best use of police resources when there are more worries about street / knife crime at present ?

The problem is bad drivers (particularly speeding drivers) do not consider they have done anything wrong and there might be a public backlash at what might be perceived as "soft" targets.

It is clear to me with the numerous examples of bad driving you see on the road every day that self-regulation does not work but I doubt if government has the political stomach to introduce technology such as speed limiters, satellite control etc that would curb some of the excesses.

After all, eminently sensible measures that could be introduced now such as road pricing is said by each successive transport minister to be "10 years away".

Is it the best use of police resources when there are more worries about street / knife crime at present ?

As far as imposing lane discipline on MWays is concerned and the reluctant adherence to proper MWay M-S-M techniques their are currently already those pretend traffic police as well as scores of unmarked police cars patrolling our MWays completely ignoring such indescretions.

Even a TV campaign along the lines of the one in the 70's that was on the Beeb EVERY night would help.

It is clear to me with the numerous examples of bad driving you see on the road every day that self-regulation does not work but I doubt if government has the political stomach to introduce technology such as speed limiters, satellite control etc that would curb some of the excesses.

Jim, they don't even impose the maximum available punishment, because they need to keep speeding drivers on the road. It's all about revenue and nothing to do with safety.

Otherwise, I'd just have written a cheque for £1000 not £60 and would be getting 6 points rather than 3.

Jim, they don't even impose the maximum available punishment, because they need to keep speeding drivers on the road. It's all about revenue and nothing to do with safety.

Otherwise, I'd just have written a cheque for £1000 not £60 and would be getting 6 points rather than 3.

I don't buy the revenue raising argument. I believe government's failure to crack down on bad driving / speeding with more draconian measures is because of its fear of the powerful motoring lobby.

I don't buy the revenue raising argument. I believe government's failure to crack down on bad driving / speeding with more draconian measures is because of its fear of the powerful motoring lobby.

The "powerful motoring lobby" has to pay fuel duty higher than almost anywhere else in the world, so clearly the government doesn't give a monkeys, so long as the cash is rolling in.

Then you are deluded.

The money government "raises" from speeding motorists is negligible. Go and search for the figures - they are readily available.

In any case the money "raised" from bad driving is no different to that "raised" by fines from other criminals and goes into the general tax take that pays for the police / schools / NHS / roads / railways / defence / and all other public sector spending. Perfectly fair I'd say.

The "powerful motoring lobby" has to pay fuel duty higher than almost anywhere else in the world, so clearly the government doesn't give a monkeys, so long as the cash is rolling in.

The cost of motoring is less now than it was 10 years ago.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackso...st-of-motoring/

Compared with the cost of travelling by train motoring is cheap.

Knowing your beliefs then it's odd that you choose not to criticise the policies that the Lab govt has been implementing. In fact on the contrary you frequently praise them. How does that rest with you Jim?

Knowing your beliefs then it's odd that you choose not to criticise the policies that the Lab govt has been implementing. In fact on the contrary you frequently praise them. How does that rest with you Jim?

Non comprendo

why use 3!!!!! policemen to hide behind vans and cars to point a gun at the new bridge then?

Agree, doesn't make any sense. Far better to use technology such as average speed cameras and / or speed limiters on cars but the motoring lobby would howl with rage .

Maybe the cost of motoring is cheaper in relative terms, but the government is raking in the cash because more people are motoring. And paying more than double the European average in fuel duty.

Non comprendo

Under this Labour government, the cost of using rail travel has gone through the roof. I had an unplanned trip to London a couple of weeks ago, got on the train in Darwen and was promptly relieved of 390 quid for the return ticket.

For the same money I could have driven down and paid for all the petrol, the M6 toll and 5 speeding fines.

Archived