BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Speed Camera's Again

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Road safety issues........

1. Why don't drivers that insist on driving way under the speed limit have the sense to pull over to one side instead of riding towards the middle of the road? It's usually the elderly or learners and one should make allowances I suppose but their stubborness and indeed ignorance frequently exasperates.

2. If I was a traffic policeman (if I hadn't already slit my own throat through shame) I'd be very inclined to book any driver who I was behind and whose eye/eyes I could not see in all three mirrors.

3. People who intend to turn right and stop in the middle of their lane rather than moving toward the crown of the road whilst waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic do my head in too. Everybody else ends up stopped behind em cos they are either too timid or too ignorant to consider their errors.

I think there are many benefits to speed limiters other than as a replacement for cameras. However surely the lobby which objects to speed cameras would find the same or similar arguements to oppose speed limiters

Of course they would . But why should the government , which has consistently ignored the arguments put forward against speed cameras by these lobby groups , suddenly take any notice of them when considering speed limiters ?

Unless , of course , it should be in their financial interest to do so .

There are no speed/safety cameras on motorways except where there are road repairs.

As has been pointed out you obviously don't consider cameras that are placed on bridges above motorways and are pointing at the cars travelling on the motorway , to be "on" the motorway .

You bring a whole new meaning to the word "pedantry" - quite pathetic even by your standards <_<

As has been pointed out you obviously don't consider cameras that are placed on bridges above motorways and are pointing at the cars travelling on the motorway , to be "on" the motorway .

You bring a whole new meaning to the word "pedantry" - quite pathetic even by your standards <_<

Before you get to smug, could you inform me which ones are "Speed Camera's"?

There are CCTV cameras, used to check traffic flows and conditions, but the only "speed cameras" I know of, are used at roadworks.

Your quick reply is much appreciated, preferably with photo's so i know which ones to wave at

There are CCTV cameras, used to check traffic flows and conditions, but the only "speed cameras" I know of, are used at roadworks.

Your quick reply is much appreciated, preferably with photo's so i know which ones to wave at

the vans have speed guns doh!!! ask Tris unless you think hes making it up!!!!!

Sorry , Flops . Next time I'm flying down the motorway I'll stop , jump out , climb up the bridge and find out exactly what type of cameras they are . Then I'll send you some photos of them .

Oh ...and if I were you I wouldn't wave at them - some poor sod got done for driving without due care and attention for doing that (well , actually he flicked the V's at them and they took offence ...... :unsure: )

so what you're saying Phil is that actually, you have no idea.

I've never seen any speed camera's on bridges, there might be mobile vans, but not fixed ones. You might be thinking of the Traffic Master sensors possibly?

There are no speed/safety cameras on motorways except where there are road repairs. Please will you repeat this to yourself as you go to sleep tonight.

the vans have speed guns doh!!! ask Tris unless you think hes making it up!!!!!

My nice letter from Strathclyde Police states that there is "photographic evidence of the motor vehicle" and was sent by the "Strathclyde Safety Camera Partnership" - and there was not a road repair (or another vehicle) in sight.

... although I may now contest the whole matter and use the posts from Colin and Flopsy in my defence.

Maybe you've got me bang to rights there Tris. I should have said that there are no speed/safety cameras on motorways in England apart from at roadworks.

The cameras which might be seen on bridges over motorways (in England) will be traffic management cameras. There to let The Highways Agency check on hold ups, accidents & other stuff which may require some intervention by the HA to get things moving again.

... although I may now contest the whole matter and use the posts from Colin and Flopsy in my defence.

When you're in a hole stop digging

Of course they would . But why should the government , which has consistently ignored the arguments put forward against speed cameras by these lobby groups , suddenly take any notice of them when considering speed limiters ?

Unless , of course , it should be in their financial interest to do so .

I don't like speed cameras, but would have no objection to satnav speed limiters

B)

What's the difference between a "satnav limiter" and a speed camera? One stops you from doing the wrong thing, the other makes you use your brain.

Yoda, that wasn't a shot at you, I generally agree with your "satnav" issue, it was more of a shot at those that can't take their foot off the accelerator.

What do you mean by that, Flops?

If they are slowed down, or even stopped by satnav, that, surely is a good thing.

Nothing is going to stop the stupid from an accident, but surely, slowing down the speed of the accident has got to be a good thing.

What's the difference between a "satnav limiter" and a speed camera? One stops you from doing the wrong thing, the other makes you use your brain.

Yoda, that wasn't a shot at you, I generally agree with your "satnav" issue, it was more of a shot at those that can't take their foot off the accelerator.

don't worry, same reply as to flopsy though

B)

What do you mean by that, Flops?

If they are slowed down, or even stopped by satnav, that, surely is a good thing.

Nothing is going to stop the stupid from an accident, but surely, slowing down the speed of the accident has got to be a good thing.

your right, I have a nagging though that a fair proportion who support speed cameras, speed in the areas that they are not located, people like flopsy etc, hence their disdain for satnav technology

:lol:

Maybe you've got me bang to rights there Tris. I should have said that there are no speed/safety cameras on motorways in England apart from at roadworks.

The cameras which might be seen on bridges over motorways (in England) will be traffic management cameras. There to let The Highways Agency check on hold ups, accidents & other stuff which may require some intervention by the HA to get things moving again.

Cumbria's in Scotland now is it? :rolleyes: Anyway I've seen em between Lancaster and Preston on more than one occasion..... And NO I do not mean those fixed thingy's that dangle over the middle lane from a bridge.

The argument that speed cameras are the best thing we have to slow down traffic is absolute nonsense . Patently untrue .

Sleeping policeman every hundred yards on every road would be much more effective . So would road surfaces that make it impossible for people to speed . So would speed limiters in all cars . New technology could make cameras redundant in years to come .

I suspect though , that such new technology (like the other measures I mentioned ) will not be eagerly embraced by the government simply because they cost money and do not raise money .

If the government is interested in saving lives cameras would already be obsolete .

They are still with us though . Go figure .......

So you are recommending sleeping policemen on every road and speed limitters in every car are you?

Are you heck. You're whole argument against speed camera's is based on the fact that you have to pay a fine to the government if and when you're caught, and you can't cope with that - otherwise how can you accept speed limitters?

If you was interested in saving lives, you would abide by the speed limits. Go figure that one.

Much debate about speed camera's, and whether or not they are sited on the M/Way. Does it matter, or is a free for all more desirable?

So you are recommending sleeping policemen on every road and speed limitters in every car are you?

Are you heck. You're whole argument against speed camera's is based on the fact that you have to pay a fine to the government if and when you're caught, and you can't cope with that - otherwise how can you accept speed limitters?

If you was interested in saving lives, you would abide by the speed limits. Go figure that one.

Much debate about speed camera's, and whether or not they are sited on the M/Way. Does it matter, or is a free for all more desirable?

Driving on a section of motorway yesterday where there was a 60mph limit on all lanes for about 10 miles. Everyone stayed at 60mph, the traffic moved smoothly despite being busy and it was very pleasant and relaxing motoring.

And then he appeared, BMW driver weaving in and out of the lanes determined that he was not going to stick to the rules because for drivers like him there are no rules. Happily, 5 miles farther on he had been nabbed by the police.

With a bit of luck the BNP member for Blackburn Bastwell might be off the road for some considerable time.

Cumbria's in Scotland now is it? :rolleyes: Anyway I've seen em between Lancaster and Preston on more than one occasion..... And NO I do not mean those fixed thingy's that dangle over the middle lane from a bridge.

No, Cumbria is not in Scotland. Neither is anywhere between Preston & Lancaster. What are you on about?

The cameras you may have seen between Preston & Lancaster on the M6 are for the safety of the people at roadworks on the motorway.

May I just ask you something?

What is it exactly that makes you feel that you should be exempt from exceeding the speed limit? You seem a pretty firm law & order bloke - you once suggested that pickpockets should have their hands cut off.

What exactly is it that causes you to reverse your opinion on the law when it appertains to breaking the speed limit?

Optional question 1 - Do you have any other laws in mind that you feel you are entitled to break?

Optional question 2 - Presumably you obey a "No Entry" sign; you look out when you see a warning sign for "children at school or playgound; you stop when the traffic lights go onto red; you don't park on double yellow lines or on zig zags outside school entrances. Is ther any reason you cannot drive within the speed limit?

well youre a moron then and shouldnt be on the roads at all.

Still that means you cant complain about anyone doing drugs, getting drunk or having ellicit sex, because they might get bored otherwise.

:wstu:

how goes physics for dummies?

well youre a moron then and shouldnt be on the roads at all.

Still that means you cant complain about anyone doing drugs, getting drunk or having ellicit sex, because they might get bored otherwise.

:wstu:

how goes physics for dummies?

'ellicit sex'? You can't spell, you appear unfamilair with sexual terms..... And I'm the dummy! :lol::rolleyes:

Archived