BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Speed Camera's Again

Not really Al,

Safety/speed cameras clock the registration of the offending vehicle. They have no way of knowing who was actually driving the vehicle. They are not there to record where you are nor what you are doing. If you stay within the speed limit they do not clock the vehicle registration.

On the other hand, as soon as I walk down a street in the centre of Manchester I'm on a camera. That's a different subject altogether.

That's BS Colin. It's all part of the same 'spying on the public scenario'. Saying that it's the car that is being spied on is just putting spin on the matter. The car doesn't get the points and the fine, the owner does.

To take your point to it's logical conclusion, if you walk down a street in Manchester and commit no crime you have nothing to worry about, but it's still an invasion of privacy isn't it?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The car doesn't get the points and the fine, the owner does.

The driver does.

The owner gets a notification of intended prosecution - ie, we think you were driving - but if not tell us.

If Gatso camera's are the best form of "spying" we have we are in real trouble.

Dont get me wrong, I hate speed camera's as much as the next man.

Nah you don't Stu. You just hate being told, that you have to do as you are told. No-one can hate a yellow box, it's impossible.:P

:lol:

I hate the resulting largely ignored aspects of driving - like the idiots who appear to be unable to follow clear road markings - the junction on the main road near you being one of the best examples of this. A camera wouldnt stop that!

If people are confident they can beat the stationary camera's but are worried about the hand held devices, simply buy yourself some of those radar things that you put on your front and back bumpers that automatically open garages on arrival.

They scramble the hand held signal for 30 seconds and then they miss you! ;)

The owner gets a notification of intended prosecution - ie, we think you were driving - but if not tell us.

And you of course get your right to remain silent don't you? Nope... I think you will find you get three points and an even bigger fine.

It is lazy there is no attempt made to prove guilt. Did you do it sir? Yes - 3pts / £60; No Answer 3pts / £120 + costs.

Guilty by default. Innocent only if you incriminate others.

That's what bugs me, yes catch and punish speeders but don't compromise the law and hard fought for liberty to do it.

That's what bugs me, yes catch and punish speeders but don't compromise the law and hard fought for liberty to do it.

Matter of opinion there Oscar, the law as it stands is not compromised, although Liberty gave it a good go. Even the European Court of Human Rights has decreed it to be lawful.

With the hand held speed traps there are ways of getting off not guilty.

If there is only one police officer there at the scene it's your word against theirs.

Some models of the speed gun has no photo evidence, if it only has the mph clocked it could be anyone's vehicle speed.

You will need a damn good lawyer too but I've seen cases thrown out because of these reasons.

With the hand held speed traps there are ways of getting off not guilty.

If there is only one police officer there at the scene it's your word against theirs.

Some models of the speed gun has no photo evidence, if it only has the mph clocked it could be anyone's vehicle speed.

You will need a damn good lawyer too but I've seen cases thrown out because of these reasons.

You wouldn't want anyone driving dangerously to get off, would you Presty? You would want them held to account?

You wouldn't want anyone driving dangerously to get off, would you Presty? You would want them held to account?

Cameras only capture one aspect of driving dangerously.

They dont stop those who hog lanes, cut lanes at roundabouts, pull out into oncoming traffic, undertake, overtake in dangerous spots, block box junctions.. need I go on.

But that said, if you get caught, stop whining and pay the sodding fine.

To take your point to it's logical conclusion, if you walk down a street in Manchester and commit no crime you have nothing to worry about, but it's still an invasion of privacy isn't it?

OK. The above statement is a load of twaddle.

End of argument.

Al,

That's BS Colin. It's all part of the same 'spying on the public scenario'. Saying that it's the car that is being spied on is just putting spin on the matter. The car doesn't get the points and the fine, the owner does.

No it is not. Speed/safety cameras are not about invasion of privacy.They are about getting drivers to slow down. It's a simple concept. It's nothing to do with "an invasion of privacy."

A vehicle registration plate has no privacy.

Now how about just being a good driver and sticking to the speed limit. What's the difficulty in that?

Is it too hard?

Al,

No it is not. Speed/safety cameras are not about invasion of privacy.They are about getting drivers to slow down. It's a simple concept. It's nothing to do with "an invasion of privacy."

A vehicle registration plate has no privacy.

Now how about just being a good driver and sticking to the speed limit. What's the difficulty in that?

Is it too hard?

Still BS Colin. I do stick to the speed limit. It's just another nail in the coffin of being able to go about your life without continuously being monitored by remote cameras.

Be careful Colin. Big Brother is watching you!

It's not if those mobile ones nab you with the girlfreind and not the wife! Crikey Jim are you so daft that you cannot grasp that? :rolleyes:

Same old debate : if you ain't breaking the law (or playing away from home), you've nothing to worry about.

Still BS Colin. I do stick to the speed limit.

So a speed camera doesn't take your picture.....

Cant see a problem here.

Don't be silly. Playing away from home is not illegal so taking piccy's of such must constitute an invasion of privacy.

Only if you are speeding? :unsure:

Something to relieve the pain...

Speed camara game

And why I have no respect for traffic police...

Photos

Anywhere on this site

Speed Camera game 2

And Mail Story...

horseboxRFE_468x299.jpg

Whilst speed is one of the contributing factors to road traffic accidents, anyone who thinks speed cameras are anything other than revenue generators is either deluded or naive.

Archived