BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Speed Camera's Again

I've no real idea as I just fill it up! I've never been one to regularly check mpg. The instructor who advised this technique suggested modern cars are very fuel efficiemt and using third more would not have a big impact. He also pointed out as this gives smoother driving style, fewer gear changes and less braking, fuel consumption is not adversly effected. My own view is that even if fuel consumption increases it's better to pay a little extra to avoid the speeding fines and points.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I knew it would be you.

Obviously on an empty or relatively empty motorway if you drive at a constant 80 mph you will complete the journey quicker than if you drive at 70mph. The majority of people make there journeys between, I'm guessing, 6.00am and 7.00pm when the motorways are rammed and the chances of doing a constant 80mph, or 70 for that matter, are nil. Under those conditions the difference between driving at 80 for a few seconds or staying at 70 is negligible. Though I do appreciate it makes a certain section of the motoring public feel good about themselves.

Are you sure you aren't just doing laps round the car park at your local Asda Paul?

On the M4 this morning I did a constant 70mph all the way to work, and the same all the way home. In the slow lane. There were many many drivers doing 80mph or more consistently.

I've no real idea as I just fill it up! I've never been one to regularly check mpg. The instructor who advised this technique suggested modern cars are very fuel efficiemt and using third more would not have a big impact. He also pointed out as this gives smoother driving style, fewer gear changes and less braking, fuel consumption is not adversly effected. My own view is that even if fuel consumption increases it's better to pay a little extra to avoid the speeding fines and points.

So its better to increase pollution!

Thats good for the environment, not

Yep and got the points and done the course to prove it. I'd freely admit to doing more than 70 on a motorway when it's safe to do so. I know it's arguable that it's never safe to do so, what I mean is when the road is relatively empty.

All my tickets have been for exceeding 30mph, usually by 4-6 mph. This is something I used to have real trouble with as modern cars easily do more than 30 in fourth gear and there's so little speed sensation one can be lapsed into thinking one isn't speeding. Not an excuse but what I know was happening to me. The speed awareness tester suggested I drive in third in 30 zones. Put this in to practice and it works very well, and usually means there are fewer gear changes and less braking. It goes against what I was taught 38 years ago but then cars have changed a lot. Probably goes to prove refresher courses on driving techniques are good idea for all.

Totally agree,i think it should be compulsory 10 years after taking your test.I passed mine 20 years ago and were always taught to put it in fourth gear in a 30 mph zone.Since i did the course nearly 2 weeks ago i have left it in 3rd and it has made a difference,when you are ready to go into 4th you know you are going too fast so you ease off the accelerator.

Are you sure you aren't just doing laps round the car park at your local Asda Paul?

On the M4 this morning I did a constant 70mph all the way to work, and the same all the way home. In the slow lane. There were many many drivers doing 80mph or more consistently.

Same on the M6 tonight. Average speed cameras are the only way to force these cowboys to slow down.

Fortunately it's only a matter of time before they are introduced.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle5114374.ece

Same on the M6 tonight. Average speed cameras are the only way to force these cowboys to slow down.

Fortunately it's only a matter of time before they are introduced.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle5114374.ece

Timing being all important! Can we get a General Election in first?

Any silly sod who thinks gatso's on Mways will improve safety is a JimMk2 grade nutter! The dangers are on roads where speeding above 20mph is stupid e.g. on housing estates, passing schools and town centre's etc ...... most of which do not have Speed Camera's on cos set at 30 mph they'll make absolutely nowt in revenue! Sad but true.

Incidentally am I the only one to notice that the slower traffic goes the more jay walkers abound? I was always taught that 'Heaven helps them that help themselves'. Nowadays the roads are full of numpty's in dark colours jogging or walking on the wrong (left hand for the under 30's) side of the road. Do they really not give a flerk whether they live or die or are they all from the planet Krypton?

Personally I respect my own 'Dead Dog' / survival of the fittest theory'. ;)

I thought you suggested that it was all down to the workings of the Inland Revenue? Make your mind up. :rolleyes:

So, those of you who are relaxed about exceeding the speed limits - what is it exactly that you gain from speeding? Do you want to feel like Jeremy Clarkson? Lewis Hamilton? Why do you do it? Maybe you save a few minutes on a journey, maybe a few minutes are important to you.

I think personally that it's a dislike of being dictated to by sanctimonious hypocrites on the dangers of speeding when , more often than not , there's no danger at all .

For example I don't give a toss about doing 90 in the fast lane of a motorway because it's perfectly safe to do so in most instances . Racing around at 35 outside a school is a different kettle of fish completely .

All sensible motorists ask for is a bit of common sense to be applied when it comes to rules and regulations .

The current system is NOT directed toward saving lives ; it's about raising revenue .....and common sense doesn't come into it .

For example , I do the school run every morning and never see a police car near the school to deter speeding or bad driving practices (of which there are plenty of examples...) On the other hand I see cameras placed in the best strategic postions NOT to stop crashes but simply to catch motorists who have drifted over the limit .

In short - when I believe the powers that be are genuinely concerned with road safety then I'll defer to their superior knowledge . In the meantime I'll use my common sense .....and ignore the sanctimonious hypocrites .

(No offence , Col..... :unsure: )

Bl**dy hell! I think I agree with Phil!

I'd like to do one of those speed awareness courses. When I got caught* on the M6 toll just before Christmas I enquired about doing one and was told that I wasn't allowed to as I was "driving too fast to qualify"! - work that one out.

*Watch out for black BMWs on here, particularly when it's quiet. Now I know they like to endulge in a spot of entrapment on here I'll be giving it a wide birth. I thought the whole point in paying a fiver to go on was so you could test out the full potential of your motor.. :P

Phil, no offence taken.

I'm rather surprised that you are OK to do 90mph on the outside lane of a motorway and yet you disapprove of doing 35mph near a school.

I think personally that it's a dislike of being dictated to by sanctimonious hypocrites on the dangers of speeding when , more often than not , there's no danger at all.

Who are these "sanctimonious hypocrites ?" Please name them.

Speed limits are set by local highway authorities and The Highways Agency. They are set according to the conditions on the roads. There is little excuse for not knowing what the speed limit is unless the signing is faulty.

For example , I do the school run every morning and never see a police car near the school to deter speeding or bad driving practices

Sorry, you've lost me here. You want a police car to deter speeding, but not a camera?

On the other hand I see cameras placed in the best strategic postions NOT to stop crashes but simply to catch motorists who have drifted over the limit .

I think you need to name the locations of these cameras & the evidence that you have. Does "drifted" inlude you doing 90 mph in a 70mph limit on the motorway?

In short - when I believe the powers that be are genuinely concerned with road safety then I'll defer to their superior knowledge . In the meantime I'll use my common sense .....and ignore the sanctimonious hypocrites .

Ha! I'm always amused by the phrase "the powers that be." It's a cracker. "Common sense" is also another one. If you beleive that "they" have superior knowledge then why don't you just tip your hat and take the advice.

Then again you (not you Phil) could be just a very poor driver who does not have the skills and application to stay within the speed limit. Is it really so hard? I suppose it might be if you're not a good driver.

Reports of a fatal accident on the M6 the other night involving a car driven at 90mph in the fast lane.

I hope the other poor sods were OK.

For those still in denial read what the chief constable has to say

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/portal/bl...road-death.aspx

Jim you buffoon, Google has messed you up. That's from February 2008 - it's no more "the other night" than Hatfield (rail)(2000) or Kegworth (air)(1989). Any fatal transport accident is very sad, but don't start spinning for the sake of it.

Especially when the spin you link in to references seatbelts and substances in equal measure. Speed is hardly worth a mention.

Next stop down ...

I also have to work in Glasgow sometimes. I can leave Darwen at the same time as I would for Runcorn (6.30am) and still make the Glasgow office around 9am, despite it being more than 4 times further. I can safely drive over the 70mph speed limit all the way, and that can shorten the driving time by nearly an hour.

One of my mottoes is "what will be will be" and I posted the above comment 3 days ago knowing that I was on a 50-50 chance, following a recent trip to Glasgow and having seen the Police van on the bridge ...

This is just for you JimMk2 ... after 960 weeks (~19 yrs) of fault free, claim free, clean driving ... Strathclyde Police got me on the INSIDE lane of the M74 last Friday, on my way to Glasgow, at the remotest point of the entire UK motorway network.

Here's the actual scene of the crime ...

10472947.jpg

and the drivers eye view (for illustration purposes only of course, I don't think the Procurator Fiscal will take much notice of this) ...

empty-motorway.jpg

Well done to Strathclyde Police (brilliant placing of the mobile unit), and I will pay the fine and take the points. Que sera sera. Surely Scotland must be the only place in the world where one could get done for speeding in the inside lane of an empty 3 lane motorway??

With regard to driving safely (the subject of this thread), there will never be a more ridiculous fine. Driving south from Blackburn I see dozens of cases each day of bad habits on the M6 (people on the phone, weaving in and out, eating breakfast, drinking hot drinks, etc) which all put other motorway users in danger - they should all be fined. None of them are safe - I adapt my driving style to make sure I stay safe, and by observation and appropriate behaviour, I make those idiots safer.

Driving north, I've just copped the punishment for my own "bad" driving on the inside lane of the remote M74 and it's a fair cop (guv). However, there wasn't another vehicle in sight, so I'm going to start questioning why abysmal, incapable drivers are allowed to turn the M6 into a conveyor belt of accidents and there's not a camera to be seen.

Jim you buffoon, Google has messed you up. That's from February 2008 - it's no more "the other night" than Hatfield (rail)(2000) or Kegworth (air)(1989). Any fatal transport accident is very sad, but don't start spinning for the sake of it.

Especially when the spin you link in to references seatbelts and substances in equal measure. Speed is hardly worth a mention.

Next stop down ...

I know the the police link was from 2008 (hardly 1989 is it ??), and there was a fatality this week. Been on the sauce again ?

Bad luck on your speeding fine :lol::lol: : with average speed cameras and satellite control of your car it wouldn't have happened. Take the train next time.

Incidentally, looking at the photo why was that bloody motorway built ? Six lanes wide and no traffic - what a waste of public money that could have been spent rebuilding the Beeching closures.

I know the the police link was from 2008 (hardly 1989 is it ??), and there was a fatality this week. Been on the sauce again ?

Bad luck on your speeding fine :lol::lol: : with average speed cameras and satellite control of your car it wouldn't have happened. Take the train next time.

Incidentally, looking at the photo why was that bloody motorway built ? Six lanes wide and no traffic - what a waste of public money that could have been spent rebuilding the Beeching closures.

jim instead of sprouting your stuff,answer the questions i asked you earlier that you wont reply too.

id ban over 65's off the rd completlty.Last night i got stuck behind an owd fella driving at 20mph on a bloody slip road to the motorway....NOW THATS BLOODY DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!! .WERNT YOU JIM WAS IT?

jim instead of sprouting your stuff,answer the questions i asked you earlier that you wont reply too.

id ban over 65's off the rd completlty.Last night i got stuck behind an owd fella driving at 20mph on a bloody slip road to the motorway....NOW THATS BLOODY DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!! .WERNT YOU JIM WAS IT?

Going too far now Abbey! I'm 67 and a far better driver than any 20 something. I would however subscribe to a new test at 70.

60 is the new 40 these days.

Tut! Tut! Abbey :P ,surely you must know by now that Jim only sees what he wants to see,as he is only focused on what he thinks is right and skirts round issues rather than contribute to meaningful debate.

No wonder he gets called Magoo.... :rolleyes:

Going too far now Abbey! I'm 67 and a far better driver than any 20 something. I would however subscribe to a new test at 70.

60 is the new 40 these days.

hee hee sorry al.

Tut! Tut! Abbey :P ,surely you must know by now that Jim only sees what he wants to see,as he is only focused on what he thinks is right and skirts round issues rather than contribute to meaningful debate.

No wonder he gets called Magoo.... :rolleyes:

egggzactli....its like earlier when he said he "may have invertantly broke the speed limit" but doesnt count that as breaking the law.

hee hee sorry al.

egggzactli....its like earlier when he said he "may have invertantly broke the speed limit" but doesnt count that as breaking the law.

Jim should get arrested for impersonating a human being!

:lol:

Driving south from Blackburn I see dozens of cases each day of bad habits on the M6 (people on the phone, weaving in and out, eating breakfast, drinking hot drinks, etc) which all put other motorway users in danger - they should all be fined. None of them are safe

Can one of you pro-camera people explain how a camera catches things like this?

Again, one of my major gripes with cameras is that they are purely for revenue. A patrol officer would catch many more dangerous driving offenses, but cost more to put out (the first ticket I ever got was for following too closely - young and dumb, but I wasn't speeding at the time. If it were the current camera era, I wouldn't have gotten the ticket). And for those of you who are replying that if cameras are used, officers can concentrate on "real" crime, then obviously you don't consider speeding a real crime.

Can one of you pro-camera people explain how a camera catches things like this?

American,

You are complaining against safety/ speed cameras not doing what that are not designed to do.

They are not designed to spot drivers eating burgers/ using mobile phones while driving/ drivers applying lipstick.

You may as well complain that Sam Allerdice was responsible for England's collapse verses the West Indies a few days ago.

You OK with that?

Again, one of my major gripes with cameras is that they are purely for revenue.

Go on, please expand on this. You'll neeed to ignore the Local Highway Road Safety Officers expertese on where the cameras are placed. Then you'll need to to follow the financial audit as to where the money from the fines goes.

Once you've done that, come back & tell us that "they are purely for revenue." I'm only guessing here, but I think you have no idea where the money from the fines goes to; how much it totals; where it goes to; nor what it is used for.

I think it goes back to the Local Highways Authorities to implement road safety measures such as traffic calming outside schools and residential areas. Let us know if it's any different.

Cheers

Archived