BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fifa 2009 - Ultimate Team

Anyone tried the Ultimate Team game? I like it. You get the first 5 games free as part of the trial and then the full game costs £7.99 if you want it carry on.

To start with you set up your team, you get to set up a custom player and then you are given a standard group of players, home & away kits, club badge, stadium and training arena.

That is all the money it costs – the rest of it, i.e. buying players, contracts, managers, stadiums, kits etc all get purchased through coins which you earn by playing and winning games. You can play league & clab matches and you can also compete for trophies in cup competitions.

You buy bronze, silver & gold packs (with virtual coins) to gain better players or kits etc and there is then a trading centre where you can sell off players you don’t want.

The games are much more fun as teams are not the normal Man U, Barca etc and you don’t know which players you will be facing until you start the game. It could become a very smart add-on once its popularity grows. Well worth the £8.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

I tried it over the weekend and agree with what Hughesy I was impressed enough to buy it, although at the moment the 360 servers are playing up so it has been down a lot.

Basically as Hughesy said you start with a team full of Bronze players, the aim is to build up your team by playing matches and gaining coins to buy cards, for example winning a game gives between 400-500 coins to buy a pack of gold cards it costs 2500 coins. You also start of with random kits, badge and stadiums.

The game has more depth then I thought but it is refreshing to play online games with teams are that are evenly matched, although it is still annoying to play people whose controls have assist's on for passing, shooting etc. I personally believe that having assist's on reduces the game down to a series of button presses and no skill is involved as the AI does everything for you. I really hope that the next installment of FIFA will allow you to search and play against players who are using semi/manual controls.

Ultimate Team is a very good add on and will deffo give you hours of fun as you seek to build up your team and compete in online tournaments.

I had a play and like above I liked playing a 1 star team against another 1 star team because it made it more enjoyable.

What I don't like is again the fact that after paying £40 for a game they want more money for what is essentially another game mode. And again in a few more months they will be after another £40 for the new game (which they will get)

I just hate they way we are made to pay for things I feel should be in the game from the start (like more costumes in street fighter)

I know games cost more to make now and they need to make money back but it still feels like I am being ripped off somehow.

Thats true cocker, but I think its just because its a new feature. Im sure they will include this from the start next time - although it may require a certain subscription cost or something.

As for the game I really thinks its much better. Playing against similar teams, with unknown players is much more fun and requires much more skill to win games. I won a number of games 4 and 5-0 last night, and it was obvious those I was playing usually play as the likes of Barca and United etc and were struggling.

I also like the idea of the players too and the way they can gel with some but not others and that team chemistry has a role to play.

E.g

- If all your defenders are english, you get a team chemistry boost from that.

- If you play players out of position then you lose some of your team chemistry.

Another good thing is that injurys count against you and players do actually miss future games, unlike in the online gaming where nobody ever gets injured.

Iv managed to sign 1 or 2 half decent players so far (rated around 73 mark). Iv already got some of my future players planned for my team - its just getting the coins to get them!!

Have to say Cocker for once I disagree with you regarding this particular expansion although there are plenty of so called “expansions” out there to more than validate your point. I think if an expansion pack is done properly I don’t begrudge paying that bit extra as long as my money adds genuine value to the existing product which I think UT has done admirably. FIFA 09 has probably been my most played game of recent times (fine testament coming from an ex Pro Evo purist) and I think at £8.50 it represents good value for money. Saying that on the flip side the servers have been horrendous, I couldn’t get the UT area to load at all last night it was like it had ust given up on me.

I’ve still managed to get a good run of games though and although I initially found it a bit of a ball ache setting up your team and buying and selling cards you soon get used it. I particularly like the way the “team chemistry” which Hughesy has mentioned so I’ll not repeat it again.

One of my favourite bits though is the ability to collect “gameplay” cards which will help your team or hinder the opposition depending on what it’s function is. For example – the other day I had a “lenient ref” card in my collection. I was one nil up in a cup game against some guy. With about 20 minutes to go he broke clear with my last defender just behind him. With a bit of quick thinking, I quickly played my “lenient ref” card then “Makoena’d” him when he was clean through. I didn’t even get booked (aka “The Old Trafford Effect” ) – I carried on with 11 men and won 1-0. Purists may think that all sound a little silly but trust me it really works as they’ve pitched it just about right and the ref cards are really the only ones that will have an effect on the rules of the game. Others just reduce or increase stats like pace, strength, heading etc – “Taunt Goalkeeper “ is a good one though.

Online tournaments are also great – it really adds spice to the game and makes it feel like your playing for something especially when you’re in a cup final it can get really tense. I have just lost a final to an injury time goal and was gutted. If you lose you have to start again in round 1 so effectively to win a cup you need to win a streak of games.

£8.50 is going to give me a good few months to master this so in my book it’s a must for anyone who enjoys playing FIFA online.

PS One question – how do you get more skill points in a game (more points = more coins)? I only normally get about 30-40 per game on a good day - is there a nack to it? More tricks maybe? I’ve noticed some people on the leader board get an average score of about 4,000 per game – surely this has got to be a glitch?

I think they will probably keep this and the manager mode seperate. The manager mode is more against the computer and against the standard league teams.

Where as this is every club for themselves, against other user clubs - trading players between them and auctioning players in ebay style bidding wars. You buy random packs, hoping to find a star player in there - you never know you might open the pack and get 4 central defenders, it all depends on the luck and it makes it far more interesting.

Also for anyone playing it - dont forget to always check your contracts, players seem to be out of contract very quick and if your not careful you could lose your star players.

£8.50 is going to give me a good few months to master this so in my book it’s a must for anyone who enjoys playing FIFA online.

PS One question – how do you get more skill points in a game (more points = more coins)? I only normally get about 30-40 per game on a good day - is there a nack to it? More tricks maybe? I’ve noticed some people on the leader board get an average score of about 4,000 per game – surely this has got to be a glitch?

Agreed it will keep me happy for a good few months - although its only £7.99.

Do you mean the points in the ultimate team mode?

Each game, I usually come out with around 650-800 coins. You gain coins for clean sheets, goals, shots on target, possession, passing quality etc and bonus points for more than 3 goals etc and lose points for fouls, yellow cards, conceding goals etc. I think you also gain alot more points if you beat teams with a much higher rating than yours - i.e. 1 star v 5.

Agreed it will keep me happy for a good few months - although its only £7.99.

Do you mean the points in the ultimate team mode?

Each game, I usually come out with around 650-800 coins. You gain coins for clean sheets, goals, shots on target, possession, passing quality etc and bonus points for more than 3 goals etc and lose points for fouls, yellow cards, conceding goals etc. I think you also gain alot more points if you beat teams with a much higher rating than yours - i.e. 1 star v 5.

51p cheaper on the PS3 then - Microsoft creaming off that mark up then no doubt :angry2:

Your logic there makes sense hughesy - I normally get around 400 - 600 coins. I hardly ever foul anyone and keep clean sheets most of the time (I'm hard to score against as I find a great tactic is not to press all the time - some of the better players get flummoxed when I hang off them and wait for them to make a mistake - I've found that the knobs who invariably pick Barca or Man U can't score for toffee when you keep them at a distance). On the downside a lot of my games end up 1-0 or 0-0 so I'm probably not scoring enough so the game points make sense. I think you get bonus game points (UT) for extra "Skill Points" (a la the ranking system in FIFA 09) but I'm not sure what the best way is to max these out - don't know what the criteria is I suspect it's the same.

My team, "Real Gravy" is up to 3 stars now - I've got a couple of gold players in there now - Carrick is a real find for 442 enthusiasts so he runs my midfield at the mo. I've also managed to pick up Evra but I've got him for sale (2,500 coins if anyone wants him) as I'm trying to build an English 442 back four and Evra is neither. Benni Mac is a 442 striker as well as someone has him for sale on the auction but I haven't got the coins at the mo. Hoping for a strike partnership of McCarthy and the 6"6' McSnatch! Top stuff...

Yes must be making there own bit on that.

Yeah but your normal standard player will be poor wont he? Or do you keep putting the improvement cards on him?

The only player in my team that is known is Amdy Faye. Iv got young Jack Hobbs as a back-up centre back too, the rest of my team are mainly Italians at the moment. Although that will soon change tonight.

I use a very similar tactic as far as not getting too tight as when they usually take that first touch to knock it past me, my defender is usually there waiting for the ball.

Iv played 13 games so far, winning 12 and losing 1 - most of my wins have been by at least 3-0, highest was 5-0 I think. Evra is one of the ones I want - going to go for a French back line I think, as Clichy and Evra are both very quick.

My left back isn't too bad he's a silver player rated about 69 (forget who he is) - plus Evra is classed as LWB not LB so he's out position as well - I've tried slotting him in to my line up and my chemistry takes a nose dive so I took the decision to do without. Plus I think I should be able to get a good "transfer fee" for him :rover: - shame we're on different platforms I would have sold him to you (rovers fan rates ;) )

Only problem I've got is I've got loads loads of CB's and CM's and I've only got three recognised Strikers (One of them is McSnatch, one is some guy from the A-League and the other is a bronze player who couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo (No it isn't Jason Roberts)

My only other recognised player is Lauren at RB but I need to replace him (Nationality again the issue(although if you are looking for a French defence I would recommend him - probably quite cheap on the Auction House (rating is 72))

I've got Martin O'Neill as my manager (although strangely only rated at 72) andf he gives me a +4 on NEG which means I get an extra 4 games out of my players when I renew a contract.

Got about 3000 coins saved up now - the question is do I take the Aston Villa approach and buy a couple of Silver packs and probably get a crop of decent quality or do I do a Man City - throw all my hard earned dosh at a gold superstar pack and hope for the best???

Played 31, won 23, drawn 7, lost 1.

How do you see your own stats from the ultimate team? I was looking for it last night but wasnt sure where to find it.

Also didnt know you could finish the games as a draw.

If you look at the rankings (it's an option on the main menu I think) it tells you there but I could swear they aren't correct as sad though I am I've been keeping a track of my own :unsure:

The online tournaments go to extra time and penalties the "league" matches don't. They call it a "league game" but I think these are little more than friendlies as the league is nothing more than a ranking system.

I noticed that they come up as results in your stats (in the hub) but when you look at recent games, they dont show in there.

Il be giving this game a good few hours later so my team should really improve (hopefully).

Progress tonight. Now played 20, won 19.

Managed to get the rovers home kit for just 200 coins. Also got a silver stadium for 250 coins.

Major progress, just got Riquelme for 600 coins in the bidding. Im now on the scout for cheap players in the auction....

Also just got an Argentine Striker called Marioni (Rated 78) for just 550. And also add to that Martin Oneill who I just got for 850

I played it for the first time last night and was very impressed. However, it keeps crashing (Xbox 360) and I keep losng my captain (he's not out of contract / injured or suspended. Any ideas? I need to buy a Microsoft points card now so I can buy the full version.

I love the idea of buying packs. I had only one recognisable player in Salif Diao, but it made the challenge more appealing!

EDIT: EA Website There are loads of reports about crashes and players going missing on the EA website. :(

It took me about 5 goes to load up UT last night and when I did I didn't have my star player (captain). Apparently, I haven't lost him according to the forums he's just "stored elsewhere". Also I was unable to buy anyone on the market because that kept crashing - so last night I had to play a game with two Left backs up front.

One thing I did notice though that if you don't get your chemistry right (mine was in the red as a result of the above) your team really suffers (which is good) - I was playing against a two star team and seriously couldn't string more than two passes together so I couldn't play my normal passing game. It's really cleverly done because although I had plenty of talent in my team they were playing like they didn't know each other, passes we're going astray and the players straying out of position and not supporting each other (the Paul Ince tenure springs to mind here).

That said they've got to get the issues sorted because it's starting to get really frustrating with the crashes. I couldn't load it all after 9pm yesterday and I kept getting error messages all night.

Hughesy doesn't sound like your having problems on the PS3 version??

Yeah iv lost my captain/ custom player - although im not too bothered about him because he wont be getting in my team once its complete anyway.

Iv also had the problem twice where iv started a game, and when it starts it says connection lost with opponent, and then iv not gained any coins or result but I have lost 1 game off the contract length - although again this isnt an issue as I just buy more contracts if I need them.

Still playing 4-4-2

Manager is now O'Neill

Recognisable players: Faye, Riquelme

Other gold players: Marioni (Italian lad rated 78), and an Italian defender (something like Santacorica) rated 78.

Also Iv purchased a silver rated stadium and the rovers home kit.

Next up I need a smart away kit - any ideas? I was thinking Fulhams away kit (our old one) but havent seen it anywhere yet.

My team chemistry is around the 45-50 mark still, not really worked on that yet. I think iv got 3 left sided midfielders in my midfield too, but until I have the coins I cant replace them yet.

I had 1 problem logging in, but 2nd time it worked fine and I was then online from around 9.00pm-12.30.

When did they say they plan to have the issues fixed?

Good Players I've brought:

Name Cost

Samba (500)

Emerton (450)

Pedersen (800)

Heitanga (600)

Cecido? (Man City 500)

Stephen Reid (400)

King Kieth Andrews (200)

Mertesaker (got him in a gold pack of cards)

Biggest problem that I'm hving t the minute is with contracts keep hving to remove good plyers from my tem s I have no more contract cards lol

You bought these lot from the auction then mate?

Iv noticed Reid & Emerton for sale quite alot in the auctions, but they aint good enough.

Just buy contract cards, thats what iv been doing and it saves buying a silver or bronze pack just for the sake of getting a few contract cards.

Still not managed to buy a gold pack of cards yet, hopefully Il save enough coins up to do that soon.

Yeah - all auction

Got the following cards for sale / trade. Im only looking to trade for Strikers who preffibly play 4-4-2. Anyway heres the list:

Essien (CM, 85 rating, 5 Contract Years)

Pirlo (CM, 84 rating, 18 Contract Years)

David Silva (LM, 81 rating, 5 Contract Years)

Deco (CAM, 82 rating, 6 Contract Years)

Tiago (CM, 80 rating, 6 Contract Years)

Pedro Mendes (CM, 78 rating, 5 Contract Years)

Please feel free to make offers

Archived