BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Supporting The Club

Hi guys, there's something i been wondering for a long time. I believe there are a lot of rovers supporters in this forum who's not from the UK (I remember guys from Norway, US etc) and was wondering how do you support the club?

I'm from Singapore which is half-way around the globe and have been supporting the club since 92 but other than buying a replica jersey every now and then, the only other thing i could do is watch our matches on tv. I'm not even sure if any profits from the buying of jerseys even goes to the club (I'm pretty sure, the retailer, the manufacturer etc will take the bulk if not all the profits). I'm also pretty sure that the club won't be coming to Singapore for any pre-season tours so that rules out any chance of me catching them "live in action".

So guys, any ideas on how to support the club besides screaming at a tv every saturday? :rolleyes:

Hi guys, there's something i been wondering for a long time. I believe there are a lot of rovers supporters in this forum who's not from the UK (I remember guys from Norway, US etc) and was wondering how do you support the club?

I'm from Singapore which is half-way around the globe and have been supporting the club since 92 but other than buying a replica jersey every now and then, the only other thing i could do is watch our matches on tv. I'm not even sure if any profits from the buying of jerseys even goes to the club (I'm pretty sure, the retailer, the manufacturer etc will take the bulk if not all the profits). I'm also pretty sure that the club won't be coming to Singapore for any pre-season tours so that rules out any chance of me catching them "live in action".

So guys, any ideas on how to support the club besides screaming at a tv every saturday? :rolleyes:

The club did have plans to consider some form of membership club for non UK based fans about 12 months ago. This was put on hold whilst they implemented the new IT system as they wanted to be able to use the points card that is connected to the system and it has had a number of teething problems. There is a Fans Forum on Monday night and we have the points card on the agenda so I'll ask where things are up to.

I'm a bit closer than you are, being in Sweden. But then again as a student I don't exactly live a luxurious life even when not spending money on going to Lancashire to watch Rovers play ;) Been to a couple of games, got some merchandise etc. One thing you could do though is subscribe to Rovers World. How much of that Rovers get is again something we don't know, since the same company does most PL teams websites etc, but at least it's something. Also gets you highlights, interviews etc.

The club did have plans to consider some form of membership club for non UK based fans about 12 months ago. This was put on hold whilst they implemented the new IT system as they wanted to be able to use the points card that is connected to the system and it has had a number of teething problems. There is a Fans Forum on Monday night and we have the points card on the agenda so I'll ask where things are up to.

Thanks, that's what i been thinking too. The club should try more to tap on overseas support ala Man U or Liverpool in Asia. Granted, we're not likely to attract even 5% of the support that they get but i think every little bit helps. Which is why i can never understand why Rovers never have pre-season trips to Asia or America when clubs like Fulham, Wigan does and i'm sure that there are more Rovers fan in Asia than Fulham (thanks to the early 90s).

Im very disappointed in the club, who i feel neglects alot of the supporters outside of Europe. Ive been a fan of the club for about 20 years now, and i wish the club could do a bit more for the overseas fans. Maybe im being harsh, but its just the way i feel. Only2Garners, can you ask at the fans forum, if they can at least make postage and packaging cheaper. Its ridiculous, that ive had to pull out of buying online, because the postage costs more than the item. Eg it would have cost me close on 100 pounds, about 1000 rand for a shirt, which is about 1/3 of my salary. I earn about 300 pounds a month.

It would be really a cool incentive, if the club could give the overseas supporters some points system everytime they purchased something. Then use those points, to get discounts, or free items like a scarf or something. Might not work, but hey its an idea. O2G another one for you to put forward at FF.

You could donate all your worldly goods to th transfer and wages fund!

So are you saying, because we dont have money for transfers and wages, that the fans outside of Europe are pushed to one side by the club? Apologies if im reading wrong into your post.

Im very disappointed in the club, who i feel neglects alot of the supporters outside of Europe. Ive been a fan of the club for about 20 years now, and i wish the club could do a bit more for the overseas fans. Maybe im being harsh, but its just the way i feel. Only2Garners, can you ask at the fans forum, if they can at least make postage and packaging cheaper. Its ridiculous, that ive had to pull out of buying online, because the postage costs more than the item. Eg it would have cost me close on 100 pounds, about 1000 rand for a shirt, which is about 1/3 of my salary. I earn about 300 pounds a month.

It is not just the overseas supporter, but those from the south of the uk who also feel neglected. Some of us travel when able to get to a home game - but places to stay in Blackburn that are reasonable are hard to come by. I am aware that there were plans to build a new stand and hotel for the riverside - these have probable been shelved due to the credit crunch / low attendances etc. Rovers could do a deal, such as match ticket and stay deal, with the various hotels / guest houses for rovers supporters. This of course would also help the overseas supporter who come over to the uk when they can. My wife and I asked about the fenhurst in May this year and we were told it is for away supporters only. A hotel across the road from the ground - but only for away supporters.

So Paffell the club caters more for away fans, than their own fans. Good one

I think that is a bit harsh. The Fernhurst is not associated with the club, they can let in people who they like. I am surprised that they wouldn't let Pafell stay I know a few people on here who have previously stopped at the Fernhurst.

The hotel idea was probably shelved a good while ago. Ewood isn't exactly in the prime location for visitors/tourists and aside from match days I would think not many people would stop there. Plus there is now the travelodge at the services and a couple of places along the way.

I think that is a bit harsh. The Fernhurst is not associated with the club, they can let in people who they like. I am surprised that they wouldn't let Pafell stay I know a few people on here who have previously stopped at the Fernhurst.

The hotel idea was probably shelved a good while ago. Ewood isn't exactly in the prime location for visitors/tourists and aside from match days I would think not many people would stop there. Plus there is now the travelodge at the services and a couple of places along the way.

I've stayed there, I know others from London who have and the N. Ireland branch was there for West Brom.

One thing I can't complain about for visiting is lack of reasonably priced places to stay.

Another way to support the club is the season ticket for charity scheme.

Support from local fans is already just about the highest percantage in the Prem (ie percentage of local population that attends matches). I think Middlesboro was marginally higher. So all the more reason to try to increase support further afield. A bunch of us travel from the outskirts of Sheffield regularly sharing transport....but found each other more or less by accident. It would help if the club had a department/member of staff that could liaise with more remote fans ('the exiles'?), maybe putting fans in an area in touch with each other (if we buy tickets/merchandise we're on the database..consent would be necessary though), or sorting out accomodation packages, even helping with organising transport. A designated car parking area might be useful, or transport from the train station. Just someone to ask about getting to Ewood. By the same token fans in other parts of the country usually have useful info about their area if near a premiership club..like best routes to the ground, pubs to avoid, places to stay etc.

All in all there's just a lot more that the club could do that would be really helpful AND increase attendances/purchases/interest.

This is a really interesting thread.

I'm lucky enough to get to all our homes games and usually a couple away every season.

You've made me realise just how frustrating it must be for the more distant fan. I think that the distance involved makes it all the harder to be a fan in the first place, if that makes sense. On top of that you're wanting to show your support as much as you can, but what can you do?

I've not really got any practical assistance to offer, but I would like to say well done to all the Rovers fans around the world for their support.

Oh, I also think the season ticket for charity scheme is a great and very worthwhile thing!

Its very difficult being as far away as South Africa. I wish the club would approach me, or if i could write to the club about my experiences as a Rovers fan from SA. Maybe it could be in a match day programme :-)

This is a really interesting thread.

I'm lucky enough to get to all our homes games and usually a couple away every season.

You've made me realise just how frustrating it must be for the more distant fan. I think that the distance involved makes it all the harder to be a fan in the first place, if that makes sense. On top of that you're wanting to show your support as much as you can, but what can you do?

I've not really got any practical assistance to offer, but I would like to say well done to all the Rovers fans around the world for their support.

Oh, I also think the season ticket for charity scheme is a great and very worthwhile thing!

What is the season ticket for charity scheme?

Seems like i'm not the only frustrated supporter then. Could someone just highlight to the club that the fan base is more than the northwest of england and the club should seriously look at overseas market as a potential source of revenue? Looking at how the club is run now, we'll never be more than a small town club. This is not meant to be a criticism of John Williams and team but surely, we should be looking forward to globalisation instead of depending on the same business plan that served us well for that past decade.

Btw, about this Rovers World thing, can anyone tell me whether the commentary includes the cup matches?

Blackburn Rovers is loved in Northern Ireland, Ireland and Norway for certain. Us Northern Irish lads have representation at almost every game. We have about 50 members in out books. We live and die Rovers. I love every minute of every trip. Money aint an issue. I love meeting local supporters and players and just love being in Blackburn. Off course the alcohol is good too lol. The Norweigans bring alot of supporters over whey they have organised branch trips. I went out with about 15 one night in Blackburn. They have bloody mental. Whether were English, Irish, Northern Irish or Norweigan, we all desire the same thing, Blackburn Rovers!!!!!!!!!! :D

Archived