BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ...and You Thought Blackburn Was Bad ! ! !

Workington on the Cumbrian coast is particularly depressing.

It used to be dependant on the steel & coal industries, but of course they have all gone now.

I was there last summer, on holiday in The Lake District and decided to have a look at the place. We had a look at the docks where they used to export & import goods.

All empty and windswept now.

The town is dead and lifeless. A real shame. It's got an industrial heritage and now that the industry has gone it's lost any soul it ever had.

It used to have a football club in The League. It went years ago. Some bloke called Bill Shankley used to be the manager

workington town

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swansea is about the worst place in the UK I've visited.

Blackpool is also a place i hate on a weekend when the thousands descend.

My mum's from south Wales and I have to say Swansea is indeed a hugely depressing place.

I think that BBC list was compiled based on pockets of deprivation with appalling statistics. There is a notorious estate from hell in Windsor (I think it is called Windsor Castle ;) ). Having my London base in Clapham I can vouch that I certainly drag the neighbourhood down a notch or three.

Both Boro and Luton have very little going for them whereas the other places on the list are a predictable mix of good and bad- some mostly good.

Lisburn - There are far grottier places on the planet than Lisburn, but few as dull. A vast suburban housing estate, Lisburn has somehow gained city status by virtue of the fact that loads of people live there and it has a nice council building. Yet this is a 'city' without a single hotel or any nightlife to speak of. It is in effect a suburb of Belfast yet its residents believe it not only to be the epicentre of Ireland, but of the entire universe.

The ugliest, most souless town i have ever been to is Glenrothes in Fife, Scotland. What we first thought to be a fire station turned out to be a church, say's a lot about the towns architecture really.

Anyone who's been there has to agree that it makes Bacup look like Venice.

800px-St_Columba's_Church_2.JPG

St Columba's Fire Station Glenrothes.

There was a book written on this, entitled: Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK

Here is what the author concluded, crappest town being #1.

50. St Albans

49. Hinchley Wood

48. Widnes

47. Barrow-in-Furness

46. Skelmersdale

45. Yate

44. Bridgwater

43. Alresford

42. Slough

41. Dagenham

40. Keighley

39. Hastings

38. Huntington

37. Maghull

36. Reading

35. Billingham

34. Newport

33. South Woodham Ferrers

32. Dover

31. Oxford

30. Peterhead

29. Tintern

28. Mirfield

27. Horsham

26. Hayling Island

25. Ipswich

24. Leiston

23. Aldeburgh

22. Brighton

21. Ascot

20. Didcot

19. Wolverhampton

18 Peterborough

17. London

16. Islington

15. Croydon

14. St John's Wood

13. Crouch End

12. Stockport

11. Portsmouth

10. Hackney

9. Basingstoke

8. Beshill-on-sea

7. St andrews

6. Liverpool

5. Winchester

4. Hythe

3. Morecambe

2. Cumbernauld

1. Hull

Granted this was published a good six years or so ago now, so things will have changed. My home town comes in a very respectable 47 - if there really are 46 crapper towns than Barrow then this country must be more depressing than I imagined.

According to the BBC

THE 10 WORST TOWNS

1-Luton

2-Windsor

3-Sunderland

4-Glasgow and Edinburgh

6-Clapham

7-Bath

8-Nottingham

9-Corby

10-Middlesbrough

Have to say Luton is somewhere I have never been......I believe it has some "similarities" to Blackburn.

Can't see why Windsor would be second? Or why Glasgow and Edinburgh would be lumped together. Edinburgh is OK innit?

The trip to Celtic Park a few years ago with Rovers certainly opened my eyes to Glasgows delights.

That list's garbage - Nottingham's great.

• Backroom

North of the border, I did a weeks training just outside Edinburgh in a place called Muirhouse I believe, never again the place was frightening, made Rishton look like Monte carlo

North of the border, I did a weeks training just outside Edinburgh in a place called Muirhouse I believe, never again the place was frightening, made Rishton look like Monte carlo

Have you ever been to Cumbernauld? :o

they used to shoot you when you were learning to climb a telegraph pole, i kid you not a safety course and you had to air rifles whilst climbing.

Have you ever been to Cumbernauld? :o

i have had a few good nights out round there with the wrestling club,its not that bad.

Archived