BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ...and You Thought Blackburn Was Bad ! ! !

Was watching CCTV cities on channel 5 earlier and it was showing Wigan. Going there for a night out in September with 20 odd Brumies after we've spent the day at Haydock race course watching the GG's. Looks lively, ladies are feisty and just need to watch out for bikers throwing petrol bombs!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was watching CCTV cities on channel 5 earlier and it was showing Wigan. Going there for a night out in September with 20 odd Brumies after we've spent the day at Haydock race course watching the GG's. Looks lively, ladies are feisty and just need to watch out for bikers throwing petrol bombs!

They did one of these on Blackburn too!

Wigan is a mad night out!

Yeah I seen that a while back, I think they are repeats on C5. I'm pretty sure the one in Blackburn was mad Friday where the window got put through in Bar Ibiza and there was trouble over waiting for taxis.

Yeah, you are correct. My mate was one of they guys who got arrested too :lol:

I'm pretty sure the one in Blackburn was mad Friday where the window got put through in Bar Ibiza and there was trouble over waiting for taxis.

Isn´t that a normal friday?

One thing that has gone downhill is having a drink downtown in the evenings. There was a time there were a few good places to go to and not all full of kids. These days it is better stay away at weekends. Blackburn is probably not alone in this however...just how things have gone.

Blackburn is on an irreversable decline. The upwardly mobile residents of the town are and have been leaving in droves for the last 20 years.

Not far off 40% of the town are from an ethnic minority, another 20% form the 'Chav' element, social class E or whatever it is on the social index. The remaining percentage see a town with no shops, decent bars/clubs etc etc and choose to spend their hard earned elsewhere.

The town has totally missed the boat time and again over the last 40 years-

Knocking down the Thwaites Arcade and countless other buildings and replacing it with the disgrace that is 'The Mall'

Missing out on a mainline train service.

Missing out on a University.

A totally inept council that prices out shopkeepers/market traders for years

A never ending construction of road systems.

I work at BAE Samlesbury, the site is situated on the edge of Blackburn, yet I am the ONLY person in my department that lives in Blackburn. When my dad started here in the early 1980s, you would see a 50/50 split in Blackburners and Prestoners. A very apt case study that represents the brain drain that has occured in Blackburn since the 80s.

I think Blackburn would benefit from expanding the Mall to include high interest shops (obviously, the difficulty is luring them in with incentives) such as Primark and by improving the night life of the town. The pubs and clubs are poor and it's almost embarassing how much better Burnley is for nightlife. That said, it's just about the only thing it has over us.

Blackburn is on an irreversable decline. The upwardly mobile residents of the town are and have been leaving in droves for the last 20 years.

Not far off 40% of the town are from an ethnic minority, another 20% form the 'Chav' element, social class E or whatever it is on the social index. The remaining percentage see a town with no shops, decent bars/clubs etc etc and choose to spend their hard earned elsewhere.

Knocking down the Thwaites Arcade and countless other buildings and replacing it with the disgrace that is 'The Mall'

I work at BAE Samlesbury, the site is situated on the edge of Blackburn, yet I am the ONLY person in my department that lives in Blackburn. When my dad started here in the early 1980s, you would see a 50/50 split in Blackburners and Prestoners. A very apt case study that represents the brain drain that has occured in Blackburn since the 80s.

Often wonder how much of the past destruction is down to that man Lord Taylor of Blackburn.

I`ve been very fortunate to live in the Cotswolds all my life. Around here we have Oxford and Cheltenham which are great and thriving but Swindon to the south is soul less. When I come up for the football I still love Ewood but can`t wait to head home after seeing Blackburn. What a soul destroying pit of a place. As for Luton........

Completely accurate assessment. Anyway why pick on Lord Taylor alone Jal when Castle and Straw have done sweet FA over the last half century. The ultimate problem I guess is that too many in Blackburn would vote for a pig if it had a red rosette pinned to it. A massively safe seat like Blackburn requires no positive effort or input from the local MP compared to the requirement of a marginal.

Completely accurate assessment. Anyway why pick on Lord Taylor alone Jal when Castle and Straw have done sweet FA over the last half century. The ultimate problem I guess is that too many in Blackburn would vote for a pig if it had a red rosette pinned to it. A massively safe seat like Blackburn requires no positive effort or input from the local MP compared to the requirement of a marginal.

er!

there is a vey large proportion that would never vote for a pig!

:D

I`ve been very fortunate to live in the Cotswolds all my life. Around here we have Oxford and Cheltenham which are great and thriving but Swindon to the south is soul less. When I come up for the football I still love Ewood but can`t wait to head home after seeing Blackburn. What a soul destroying pit of a place. As for Luton........

I think the problem with Blackburn is its always been filled with mercenaries looking to fill their boots with cash and get out at first opportunity.

Unfortunately we've had no good men and women with long term ambitions for the town for over the past 80 years or so.

History shows Elma Yerburgh left, Wainwright left, Lord Taylor of Blackburn left, many, many others have that I cant think of, sadly the majority of the population who've stayed have always looked to someone else either the council or the MP to improve their environment without these people being capable of siezing the initiative.

History tells me that I have to leave, or do I ?

I think the problem with Blackburn is its always been filled with mercenaries looking to fill their boots with cash and get out at first opportunity.

Unfortunately we've had no good men and women with long term ambitions for the town for over the past 80 years or so.

History shows Elma Yerburgh left, Wainwright left, Lord Taylor of Blackburn left, many, many others have that I cant think of, sadly the majority of the population who've stayed have always looked to someone else either the council or the MP to improve their environment without these people being capable of siezing the initiative.

History tells me that I have to leave, or do I ?

2 choices, do something about it or leave,

trying to do something and getting backing (not necessarily financial) is the hard part in Blackburn!

Never actually holidayed in Corporation Park ... but it is one of my favorites. As for my holiday destinations in recent years:-

Europe ... done to death several times over.

Boston and the New England trail.

San Fransisco / Yosemite National Park.

New York.

Singapore.

Dubai.

Calgary / Banff (regular skiing base)

Really enjoyed holidays in the aforementioned places ... but they only serve to make me realise how lucky I was to be born in the greatest place to live on Earth bar none.

That's probably because you managed to visit two of the most soulless cities on the planet in Singapore and Dubai.

Ooooooh Singapore is dull and indeed souless. Stopped off there overnight to and from New Zealand a few years ago, and that was enough. Perhaps the sheer heat and humidity has something to do with it, but it was souless. Everything was planned, the commercial zone was in one place, the residential zone was over here, there was no rough and ready corners. I lived in Hong Kong as a child when we owned it, and it reminded me of Hong Kong on very strong anti-psychotic medication. The place was merely functioning, there was no character or shades of personality. Nor any thrash metal CDs.

The sad thing is, I think Hong Kong is going the same way since China reclaimed it.

Ooooooh Singapore is dull and indeed souless. Stopped off there overnight to and from New Zealand a few years ago, and that was enough. Perhaps the sheer heat and humidity has something to do with it, but it was souless. Everything was planned, the commercial zone was in one place, the residential zone was over here, there was no rough and ready corners. I lived in Hong Kong as a child when we owned it, and it reminded me of Hong Kong on very strong anti-psychotic medication. The place was merely functioning, there was no character or shades of personality. Nor any thrash metal CDs.

The sad thing is, I think Hong Kong is going the same way since China reclaimed it.

I really enjoyed Hong Kong, you have something to compare it to I guess, but even visually in terms of the view from the peak, Hong Kong island in general, Lantau Island etc are all much more than Singapore has to offer...and historically/architecturally it's a lot more interesting too. I don't think it'll ever end up as sterile as Singapore, they're still allowed to hold anti Chinese protests there so it can't be that bad.

Archived