BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ...and You Thought Blackburn Was Bad ! ! !

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Workington is a horrible place, Blyth was a dump, West Brom was one of the worst places I have ever been to, infact so was Wolverhampton.

Wolverhampton's seriously crap on matchday but has its good points (West Park, gigs at Civic/Wulfrun halls, my mates' house and that Bathams/Holdens boozer near the station).

According to the BBC

THE 10 WORST TOWNS

1-Luton

2-Windsor

3-Sunderland

4-Glasgow and Edinburgh

6-Clapham

7-Bath

8-Nottingham

9-Corby

10-Middlesbrough

Have to say Luton is somewhere I have never been......I believe it has some "similarities" to Blackburn.

Can't see why Windsor would be second? Or why Glasgow and Edinburgh would be lumped together. Edinburgh is OK innit?

The trip to Celtic Park a few years ago with Rovers certainly opened my eyes to Glasgows delights.

Re Luton: It is a real dump. Remember the Marsh Farm estate riots in the 1990's? That probably improved it. I used to live in Bedford for 10 nyears, and that was pretty crap, but everyone who has lived in Bedfordshire agrees with the view that Luton is truely crap. It is probably like Blackburn in that you notice that you notice the chavs, the poverty and there are the sort of Muslims that are not very friendly to outsiders.

Bridlington is worth a mention. The town's attitude is summed up by my signature, and I was assaulted by some chav ___ a month after moving there. I was guilty of walking to a post office, and the police were worse than useless. They did not give me an incident number or whatever it is called, the computer that had all the pictures on never worked, and I had no idea which officer was handling the case. My sister, who is in the police was outraged at the ineptitude. Put it this way, I used to to the Saturday night shift that ended at 3 am, and every time I would see a police car and/or ambulance go to the nightclub 50 metres away. One Halloween I noticed 3 ambulances go past within a space of about 15 minutes.

There was a book written on this, entitled: Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK

Here is what the author concluded, crappest town being #1.

50. St Albans

49. Hinchley Wood

48. Widnes

47. Barrow-in-Furness

46. Skelmersdale

45. Yate

44. Bridgwater

43. Alresford

42. Slough

41. Dagenham

40. Keighley

39. Hastings

38. Huntington

37. Maghull

36. Reading

35. Billingham

34. Newport

33. South Woodham Ferrers

32. Dover

31. Oxford

30. Peterhead

29. Tintern

28. Mirfield

27. Horsham

26. Hayling Island

25. Ipswich

24. Leiston

23. Aldeburgh

22. Brighton

21. Ascot

20. Didcot

19. Wolverhampton

18 Peterborough

17. London

16. Islington

15. Croydon

14. St John's Wood

13. Crouch End

12. Stockport

11. Portsmouth

10. Hackney

9. Basingstoke

8. Beshill-on-sea

7. St andrews

6. Liverpool

5. Winchester

4. Hythe

3. Morecambe

2. Cumbernauld

1. Hull

Granted this was published a good six years or so ago now, so things will have changed. My home town comes in a very respectable 47 - if there really are 46 crapper towns than Barrow then this country must be more depressing than I imagined.

No Blackburn in there either. Must be really bad if they not even getting a look in lol

• Backroom

After walking around Blackburn town centre today i'm astonished there is 50 worse places in the UK. The place is a dump now more than ever sadly and a lot of our residents are to blame.

There was a book written on this, entitled: Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK

Here is what the author concluded, crappest town being #1.

50. St Albans

49. Hinchley Wood

48. Widnes

47. Barrow-in-Furness

46. Skelmersdale

45. Yate

44. Bridgwater

43. Alresford

42. Slough

41. Dagenham

40. Keighley

39. Hastings

38. Huntington

37. Maghull

36. Reading

35. Billingham

34. Newport

33. South Woodham Ferrers

32. Dover

31. Oxford

30. Peterhead

29. Tintern

28. Mirfield

27. Horsham

26. Hayling Island

25. Ipswich

24. Leiston

23. Aldeburgh

22. Brighton

21. Ascot

20. Didcot

19. Wolverhampton

18 Peterborough

17. London

16. Islington

15. Croydon

14. St John's Wood

13. Crouch End

12. Stockport

11. Portsmouth

10. Hackney

9. Basingstoke

8. Beshill-on-sea

7. St andrews

6. Liverpool

5. Winchester

4. Hythe

3. Morecambe

2. Cumbernauld

1. Hull

Granted this was published a good six years or so ago now, so things will have changed. My home town comes in a very respectable 47 - if there really are 46 crapper towns than Barrow then this country must be more depressing than I imagined.

I can further the notion of this being a complete sh!thole.

1. Hull

At my work we have just carried out a pretty extensive survey of our tenants (we have houses from Edinburgh to the South Coast), all about satisfaction with the local area, satisfaction with services, the neighbourhood, etc.

The area which come out top in almost everything we asked was Hull.

It seems that whilst other people not appreciate Hull that much, the people who live there really do like it!

Lisburn - There are far grottier places on the planet than Lisburn, but few as dull. A vast suburban housing estate, Lisburn has somehow gained city status by virtue of the fact that loads of people live there and it has a nice council building. Yet this is a 'city' without a single hotel or any nightlife to speak of. It is in effect a suburb of Belfast yet its residents believe it not only to be the epicentre of Ireland, but of the entire universe.

Is there a decent swimming pool there?

Can't see why Windsor would be second? Or why Glasgow and Edinburgh would be lumped together. Edinburgh is OK innit?

The trip to Celtic Park a few years ago with Rovers certainly opened my eyes to Glasgows delights.

I go to Glasgow a lot to see Celtic play and would say that the city centre is fantastic, but the rest of it is a total tip.

North of the border, I did a weeks training just outside Edinburgh in a place called Muirhouse I believe, never again the place was frightening, made Rishton look like Monte carlo

That sounds like how Muir Island, Scotland is portrayed in the X-Men Universe. :o:lol:

After walking around Blackburn town centre today i'm astonished there is 50 worse places in the UK. The place is a dump now more than ever sadly and a lot of our residents are to blame.

No argument from me - Blackburn is a horrible place.

Whose running Blackburn, or should I say whose doing absolutely nothing but taking the responsibility. Whoever he or she is should stand down with immediate effect and I'll take on the task.

The town is a mish mash of projects that dont go together. The biggest complaint for me about Blackburn IS, when anything is ever implemented

the council dont maintain it or remain proactive in keeping it in pristine condition there just seems to be a complete lack of care that shows a complete lack of civic pride.

Why is it like this ? come on Ewood spark answer please.

Agreed, lovely city, spent 5 very happy years there, can't understand why it's in the list.

Nottingham is presumably there because of the gun crime tag associated with it. I think it's a great place but then that is coloured by the fact that i met my husband there while at Uni, and Uni days are generally the best part of your life. 2 of my kids were at Uni there too so all in all it has happy memories for us and I think that makes a difference. Objectively we know that Blackburn is not the nicest place, but for most of us it's our dump as opposed to other people's and that makes it less horrible. Surprised at winchester as I spent a great year there too.

Whose running Blackburn, or should I say whose doing absolutely nothing but taking the responsibility. Whoever he or she is should stand down with immediate effect and I'll take on the task.

The town is a mish mash of projects that dont go together. The biggest complaint for me about Blackburn IS, when anything is ever implemented

the council dont maintain it or remain proactive in keeping it in pristine condition there just seems to be a complete lack of care that shows a complete lack of civic pride.

Why is it like this ? come on Ewood spark answer please.

You are so.... so naive. Councils and councilors come and go ... only the situation we find ourselves in remains constant. You could have read threads on this same message board 10 years ago and the same old crap negative anti-Blackburn comments would have been made. I dare say if the internet had been around 20 or 30 years ago the same would have been true. In fact all the way back to the death of King Cotton. If you feel the need to blame somebody for the decimation of manufacturing in these parts then look no further than the likes of Gordon Foxley or even Mahatma Gandhi. Market forces shape society ...not politicians.It's not rocket science ... pull the rug from under any society and things will become tougher. What really riles me is the lack of a fighting spirit a lot of people in these parts seem to have. Nothing but great big East Lancs surrender monkeys the lot of 'em. B*gg*ring off to Pr*ston or the Tr*fford Centre every week to do their shopping and then falling over themselves to come on message boards and slag off the quality of shops struggling to make ends meet in their own town. T*ssers the lot of 'em.

You are so.... so naive. Councils and councilors come and go ... only the situation we find ourselves in remains constant. You could have read threads on this same message board 10 years ago and the same old crap negative anti-Blackburn comments would have been made. I dare say if the internet had been around 20 or 30 years ago the same would have been true. In fact all the way back to the death of King Cotton. If you feel the need to blame somebody for the decimation of manufacturing in these parts then look no further than the likes of Gordon Foxley or even Mahatma Gandhi. Market forces shape society ...not politicians.It's not rocket science ... pull the rug from under any society and things will become tougher. What really riles me is the lack of a fighting spirit a lot of people in these parts seem to have. Nothing but great big East Lancs surrender monkeys the lot of 'em. B*gg*ring off to Pr*ston or the Tr*fford Centre every week to do their shopping and then falling over themselves to come on message boards and slag off the quality of shops struggling to make ends meet in their own town. T*ssers the lot of 'em.

hope you got a 25% for calling people tossers spark;)

if you saved about 200 quid on a holiday in the traff as opposed to the same one in blackburn what would you do?

where do you holiday ? corpy park? do you ever venture out of blackburn ? if so tell us why?

I stayed in Hull for a few days back in 1999 and I thought it was nice enough.

As for Oxford on that list, well the issue is that Oxford itself encompasses such a wide variety of socio-demographic areas that its a bit silly to tar them all with the same brush. I'd gladly live in Oxford...

..in fact I'd rather live in Oxford than Melbourne.

I once spent an afternoon in Slough and I can confirm it does belong on that list.

I can take you to parts of Melbourne that will make the top 50, no probs.

Blackburn could be a hell of a lot better, dare I say half decent, if we didnt have an inept, bungling council who for years have wasted money and cant even be arsed to back the towns greatest asset, the Rovers.

Some people would say corrupt even. Not me I wouldnt want to get sued!

However it isnt nearly quite as bad as it is being made out either..

I stayed in Hull for a few days back in 1999 and I thought it was nice enough.

As for Oxford on that list, well the issue is that Oxford itself encompasses such a wide variety of socio-demographic areas that its a bit silly to tar them all with the same brush. I'd gladly live in Oxford...

..in fact I'd rather live in Oxford than Melbourne.

I once spent an afternoon in Slough and I can confirm it does belong on that list.

I can take you to parts of Melbourne that will make the top 50, no probs.

Broady? :lol:

Broady? :lol:

I was thinking Dallas over Broady. Along with Frankston, Dandenong, Epping, Cranbourne, Hoppers Crossing... the list is endless really!

You could throw all the SE 'dormitory' suburbs in as well.

I was thinking Dallas over Broady. Along with Frankston, Dandenong, Epping, Cranbourne, Hoppers Crossing... the list is endless really!

You could throw all the SE 'dormitory' suburbs in as well.

I have a cousin in Dallas. Needless to say I never visit him when I get down there.

where do you holiday ? corpy park?

Never actually holidayed in Corporation Park ... but it is one of my favorites. As for my holiday destinations in recent years:-

Europe ... done to death several times over.

Boston and the New England trail.

San Fransisco / Yosemite National Park.

New York.

Singapore.

Dubai.

Calgary / Banff (regular skiing base)

do you ever venture out of blackburn ? if so tell us why?

Really enjoyed holidays in the aforementioned places ... but they only serve to make me realise how lucky I was to be born in the greatest place to live on Earth bar none.

Archived