BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Warnock Or Quality Midfielder

That's the most depressing thing I have read about this club since I can remember. All of it truth, but still...disheartening to say the least.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading that makes me think that we are changing our cost model. Instead of mid-table, we are now budgeting for 17th prize money.

If that is the case, we are in for a bumpy ride. I think we'll be the 'most exciting premier league' team for at least one more season then!

Interesting headline in that article though: 'We can't spend £5m on a player who is not good enough'. Let's hope Kalinic comes good then!

That's the most depressing thing I have read about this club since I can remember. All of it truth, but still...disheartening to say the least.

Does anyone really think that JW likes making statements of that kind. it is indeed depressing; but he is only trying to inject a dose of reallity into the minds of the day dreaming public. Sam knows that as well, and thank the Lord we have him as our manager at present. I cannot think of any other manager that we could afford or that would come to us that would handle the thankless task he has inherited any better.l

I agree Williams appears not to interfere in the playing side but he is the chairman and has influence throughout the club. I don't know if he's changed his approach but what I do know is every exciting player we had has been allowed to leave without the money being reinvested in the playing squad. We both know, because we've listened to JW say it across a table, JW's mantra is every scrap of spare cash should / does go into the playing side. JW believes the only real way to take the club forward is to deliver "success" (however that is defined in 2009, a seperate arguement) on the playing field. For some time we've allowed players who meant something to leave the club - Friedel, Bentley, RSC, Gally, Derbyshire, Warnock. Players who could raise the pulse a little, give a bit extra on a Saturday afternoon. Why? There is influence coming from somewhere that is preventing the funds raised through these sales being used to strengthen the squad - another JW mantra, the club should only buy players that improve the squad. We haven't made a signing that improves the squad since Hughes' time.

This is so very difficult to explain as it's mainly the emotional side of football. We have a squad packed full of players that mean nothing, no heroes, no connection. I'm simply so bitterly disappointed with what we have, there is nothing to look forward to this afternoon. Name a player who will quicken the pulse later today? We don't have a single one

Our football club has become a youth opportunity programme for the Big Four reserves and pension fund for retiring foreign players. I don't like it. This is not a knee-jerk comment, I've been making the point in various ways for years, the difficulty for me is there's nothing left. How do I get excited about a 34 year old right back who's hardly played for more than two years. WOW! he used to play for Real Madrid. FANTASTIC! Must get his autograph. Big frigging deal. Why are we packing the squad with has beens and foreign players who'll leave at the drop of a hat?

Exactly, I couldn't agree more.

Gally and Derbyshire were allowed to leave because they plainly weren't not good enough. The others WANTED to leave so that's the time to get the best deal you can for them rather than have a player at the club who does not want to be there.

The reason we don't see like for like spending in the transfer market is painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain and it's all down to economics

The arguement will be these players "can play" across the back four thus giving us more cover and options. Personally I think that's an excuse and JW and the board have lost it. We are selling our assets to pay the wage bill and running costs. It's a bloody joke.

Spot on Paul, although I would dispute players have been sold to pay the wage bill and running costs, we'd already lost about ten or eleven players net (25%) from the squad numericallythis summer, so there must have been a huge wage saving even before the scandalous sale of Warnock.

I've been staying off this m/b by and large recently, it's too distressing too even think about what's happening at Ewood let alone talk about it.

Tris I've just been reading this Mirror article, does this fit with your view? Not really sure what you think of Allardyce. Blackburn's Top Salesman.

"There has been a massive gain at every other place I have been. It's the same here this summer. I can't say I like it, but it's a necessity for the club. And I am capable of dealing with it.

"I am good at what I do. It's not just about managing the team, it's about helping the club to do what it needs to do."

If Sam is correct this seems to be saying selling players is a financial necessity for the club and he, as the manager, doesn't like it. One would assume from this the instruction to sell players is coming from other people in the club? The Board one would have to guess?

Must say I'm a bit annoyed by that interview. Sam did you really turn RSC into an 18m pound player or Warnock or Derb's??? I'd also hazard a guess that JW did the negotiating and as such surely it wasn't just you. I do swear I can see his head getting bigger each time I see him.

Something has changed, without doubt it is the board. This summers actions are not those of our chairman, the trust have obviously become more hands on due to the massive losses they have made. I can only assume this is all the result of our failure last year under Ince. There is no way on earth JW has jumped form one pole to another just down to Ince, so since there's only one person in the whole club who can overrule him its blatantly obvious that they are no longer hands off.

I wonder how heated its been at Rovers this summer, with such a radical change in approach.

Archived