BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derren Brown

Some of his stuff is incredible especially some of the twists at the end of an act.

All over my facebook tonight people have commented on his control the nation show and nobody got stuck to their chair including myself. Did anyone?

I seen the lottery show where he predicted the numbers and the show revealing how the group did it and I found that very hard to believe and was disappointed with the explanation.

It's obvious he's a hypnotist but in some of the stuff I think there's actors involved. I just think it's very hard to believe until somethings happened to you and most people think it's camera tricks etc.

He's not that clever anyway, he can't even spell his name right for a start :D

Chris Angel is very good but he's more of a illusionist/magician and although it's all fake, it's still compelling to watch.

I watched it and he never stuck me to the chair. I tried three times (sky plus) and it didn't work.

I did notice the flashes and sounds popping up throughout the programme though so this could be the reason. Maybe the people it works on don't notice this.

I was really hoping it would work.

I think he's trying too hard now. I liked his earlier stuff where he was using psychology, body language and suggestion which was really clever, but I think he's trying to be too much like that idiot Blaine

Blaine is ace, and i think he is the best out there. Thats just my personal opinion. Brown, seems like he wants to do too much in a show, instead of gradually doing it over a period of time. Thats the difference between him and Blaine. Blaine will have short, unbelievable acts, and 1 or 2 big ones in between.

I think a few people may have missed the point here. The programme was called 'Controlling the Nation'. Last night Derren Brown had a few million people 'glued' to their seats for a whole hour, waiting to see if they could get up at the end of the show. By the time the end of the show came he'd already 'controlled the nation' for an hour, suckering everyone in to thinking something major was happening. The ending was irrelevant.

Seemed pretty obvious to me from the outset, which is why I didn't watch it.

Blaine is ace, and i think he is the best out there. Thats just my personal opinion. Brown, seems like he wants to do too much in a show, instead of gradually doing it over a period of time. Thats the difference between him and Blaine. Blaine will have short, unbelievable acts, and 1 or 2 big ones in between.

Yup.

Brown gets ahead of himself, starts talking really fast and his hands start moving at a very quick rate.

Blaine, plays it cool and his voice never changes.

Did you see his show last Friday?

Brown gets ahead of himself, starts talking really fast and his hands start moving at a very quick rate.

Blaine, plays it cool and his voice never changes.

Brown speaks fast in order to drop words in, such as the toy store scene. I went to see him live and he is amazingly good at doing it, just substitute a word that sounds similar and it slips into your subconcious. Every movement and every word is carefully thought out.

Blaine has no personality and the most boring voice in the world. A fantastic magician, but thats what he is. Derren Brown isn't a magician, he uses suggestion to manipulate your thoughts and is able to read even the smallest facial signals.

IMO the events is building up to something a lot bigger and I think these shows are being used to prepare people for the last one.

• 2 years later...

So, 2 years on .......

After a good start to the series (can somebody be hypnotised to carry out an assassination and then to forget it happened), this week's was pretty poor.

A much better example of people becoming nasty when anonymous and part of a group, he only has to read online forums, not waste 55 mins on a poor Game For A Laugh clone.

Although, tonight's show, some comments by a footballer often maligned on here and a proposed change in UK libel legislation is making me wonder what a forum where everyone was forced to use their real names would be like.

... as somebody that has campaigned for the right to anonymity, I can see that it doesn't always bring out the best in people.

So, 2 years on .......

After a good start to the series (can somebody be hypnotised to carry out an assassination and then to forget it happened), this week's was pretty poor.

A much better example of people becoming nasty when anonymous and part of a group, he only has to read online forums, not waste 55 mins on a poor Game For A Laugh clone.

Keans hypnotised the V's

Archived