BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back In The Day

dcbrfc

Does anyone know where I can find results and scorers from games going all they way back to 1992/93? Can find results but want scorers if possible!

If you PM me your email address I will send you an Excel spreadsheet with all scores, attendances and scorers right back to season 1969-70.

I have always planned to add the actual line-ups but their are only 24 hours in a day and beer exists!

Guest Wen Y Hu

Good find, rovgers! Just a minor amendment to the URL in your link:

92-93

Cheers.

Another useful site that was quoted on this forum earlier this year is FootballSquads.co.uk, which is handy for use in conjunction with records of match results, etc. In addition to each player's squad number, information is also given regarding position, height and weight, place and date of birth, and previous club.

FootballSquads.co.uk records currently go back to the 1993-1994 season:

1993-1994 (Premier League)

1994-1995 (Premier League)

1995-1996 (Premier League)

1996-1997 (Premier League)

1997-1998 (Premier League)

1998-1999 (Premier League)

1999-2000 (Division 1)

2000-2001 (Division 1)

2001-2002 (Premier League)

2002-2003 (Premier League)

2003-2004 (Premier League)

2004-2005 (Premier League)

2005-2006 (Premier League)

2006-2007 (Premier League)

2007-2008 (Premier League)

2008-2009 (Premier League)

Guest Wen Y Hu

Quite a few of those Fanbase records are wrong; particularly over home and away games.

We beat Liverpool 4-1 at Ewood, not Anfield, for instance.

Just what I thought, philipl. Fanbase would appear to be reliant on volunteer contributors just like Wikipedia, so it is subject to the same issues of reliability.

I only had a quick peruse at some late '70s games, but it has, for example, got the Home and Aways the wrong way round for the entire 1977-78 season as far as I can tell. I thought it was a bit funny when I saw that it had us losing away to Bolton at the end of that season. But it was the other way round. Bolton was our last home game of the season, which I remember rather vividly. Ewood was taken over by the Wanderers fans - even the Riverside - so the 1-0 defeat was not exactly unwelcome in view of the threat of a good hiding on the terraces had we won and denied them going up to the old First Division as champions.

Then when I saw that our epic 3-2 victory at t' Turf on Boxing Day 1977 was down as a home game, I realised that the entire season's records were probably screwed. The briefest of looks at Soccerbase seems to confirm this. (Judging from the Burnley games in the 1976-77 season, that season's records may be corrupt as well.)

Also, did we really lose 5-2 to Blackpool on 4 February 1978? Both Fanbase and Soccerbase seem to think so. While Soccerbase correctly has the game at Blackpool, I seem to recall it was a midweek night match and we hammered them after going 2-1 behind and I also recall mayhem in the Rovers side of The Kop as we absolutely trounced them. Or was it mayhem because we got hammered?! :rolleyes: Anyone actually remember?

As an addendum: I note that Soccerbase databases are validated in conjunction with the databases of football statistician Tony Brown, available via his SoccerData site. Hadn't heard of him before, but would appear to be quite an authority. See SoccerData at http://www.football.mistral.co.uk/.

It is Sheffield United- played something like 130 times.

Although Aston Villa must be getting close since Sheff U got relegated three seasons back.

Also Everton now despite the Rovers' 26 seasons outside the top flight because they were founder members and only had a relatively brief period outside the top flight in the early days. In fact I doubt Rovers have played Everton in any league outside the top one, certainly the case for Arsenal and probably Man U as well- weren't we in the third when they were in the second in the '70s? We have played Liverpool and Spurs in the second division and of course Villa and Sheff U in the third division.

We had never played Palace before the 66/7 season, Pompey are rare opponents as well because they were hardly ever in the top division apart from winning two Championships straight after the war when we were in the First as well. Leicester were not admitted to the league until the second division was formed and have been up and down the leagues a fair bit including getting promoted round about the time we got relegated in the mid'60s so we avoided each other for many seasons in the '60s and '70s.

Who do you reckon Rovers have played more than any other team in our history?

Got to be someone amongst Palace, Sheff United, Portsmouth, Leicester?

Do you mean league & cup games, or just league? :huh: ??

So Sheffield Utd are the club we have played most in our history, and now I wonder if Rovers are the club that Sheffield United have played most in their history? Probably not.

If not, are Rovers the club that any other club has played against more times in their history?

And, which is the fixture which has been played most often in English football history?

I suppose we are talking first team competitve fixtures here, ignoring reserve matches and friendlies.

For head to heads I found this site useful, seems accurate but maybe the anoraks will say different.

We have played Sheffield United 145 times, Everton 158 times in all competitions, have fun.

head to heads

That is an excellent discovery.

So I am totally wrong about Sheff U- they WERE the team we had played most against around about 1990 but our sojourn in the Prem has turned it all around.

In fact the team we have played most against are Aston Villa- 161 times. So well done AggyBlue!

Other founder members include:

Stoke City 84

Bolton Wanderers 154 (third behind Everton and Villa)

Preston North End 97

Burnley 91 (37-35 to Rovers)

West Brom 121

Wolves 93

Interesting to see teams we historically have played a lot against have now largely been over taken by the Big 4:

Arsenal 114 (every league game played in the top flight)

Chelsea 105

Liverpool 137 (like Everton, all in the top flight except some games in the '50s)

Man U 107 (one game in the second 1937/8, otherwise all in the top flight)

Other names that were offered were Leicester City (94) and Crystal Palace (42- I was correct, we had never played them in any competition before 1966/7)

It is appropriate that Everton and Villa come out tops. Villa, Rovers and Everton are the only clubs both to have been founder members of the Football League and founder members of the Premier League.

That is an excellent discovery.

So I am totally wrong about Sheff U- they WERE the team we had played most against around about 1990 but our sojourn in the Prem has turned it all around.

In fact the team we have played most against are Aston Villa- 161 times. So well done AggyBlue!

Other founder members include:

Stoke City 84

Bolton Wanderers 154 (third behind Everton and Villa)

Preston North End 97

Burnley 91 (37-35 to Rovers)

West Brom 121

Wolves 93

Interesting to see teams we historically have played a lot against have now largely been over taken by the Big 4:

Arsenal 114 (every league game played in the top flight)

Chelsea 105

Liverpool 137 (like Everton, all in the top flight except some games in the '50s)

Man U 107 (one game in the second 1937/8, otherwise all in the top flight)

Other names that were offered were Leicester City (94) and Crystal Palace (42- I was correct, we had never played them in any competition before 1966/7)

It is appropriate that Everton and Villa come out tops. Villa, Rovers and Everton are the only clubs both to have been founder members of the Football League and founder members of the Premier League.

For a stats site, I'm not sure you can beat this one...

Archived