BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Freeview Reception Over The Internet

LG are offering 42 freeview channels via dvd recorders. This includes itv 2 and BBC 3.

I don't think that is what he's getting at. You can have whatever kit you want, but for the most part if you have a bad reception then you're a bit stuck.

We have the same in our house - my TV is connected to the main aerial so is fine, but my mums telly can pick up 5 channels at most of freeview. When the switchover happens they say that the signal is going to be boosted, but I'm not sure this is going to fix all our problems.

Believe it or not I've already done that and I've yet to find anything that says whether or not it is possible to have the internet essentially replace your aerial so I thought I'd ask on here if anyone knew if it was/wasn't possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate freeview!!! My telly was perfectly fine before, 5 nice channels + freeview channels that all worked fine. Now I've got naf all :( I've retuned the bloody several times, but I have nowt! :angry:

It isn't my aerial because I can still get the terrestial, just not any freeview channels.

You can get Sky with a free Sky+ box these days for about £25 - get your hand in your pocket !

I was thinking of getting FreeSat with a recordable hard drive, price has dropped from £300 to £225 in the last 12 months. Is there a reason to get Sky other than football, which I don't want, and does one have to take out a subscription as well? Im OK with £25 for all the kit but don't want any Sky viewing at all.

I hate freeview!!! My telly was perfectly fine before, 5 nice channels + freeview channels that all worked fine. Now I've got naf all I've retuned the bloody several times, but I have nowt! mad.gif

It isn't my aerial because I can still get the terrestial, just not any freeview channels.

If you're getting your signal from a relay transmitter (ie not directly from the Winter Hill mast) then some of the Freeview channels aren't going to be any good between the first retune (last week) and the second retune on December 4th.

eg - this shows what's available from the Darwen relay today, next to after December 4th. (click to expand "channels available at my address")

I'm surprised if you're affected though, I'd guess that you've have direct line of sight to Winter Hill proper. wacko.gif

I was thinking of getting FreeSat with a recordable hard drive, price has dropped from £300 to £225 in the last 12 months. Is there a reason to get Sky other than football, which I don't want, and does one have to take out a subscription as well? Im OK with £25 for all the kit but don't want any Sky viewing at all.

I think you have to subscribe for 12 months (£18.00/month minimum package).

Edit

Although it does say no subscription required ON HEREtowards the bottom

You can get Freesat from Sky, by buying the box, but I'm not sure it gives you any advantage over the normal Freeview unless you have signal problems (which I guess you might where you live Paul?). You just get the normal free channels but coming through a dish rather than the regular aerial. There is no need to pay for a subscription. You can of course just buy a Freeview box with a hard drive if all you want is the ability to record.

Where we live reception is a problem, as you rightly guess. We are in direct line with the Winter Hill station and at the top of our garden is a very tall sycamore. When this is laden with foliage and we have heavy wind and rain the picture repeatedly breaks up. It is much improved with a Freeview box, through a standard aerial, but still breaks up on some channels. Houses on either side, literally next door, do not have a problem.

I've been looking at the Foxsat HDR for just over a year. At £300 I wasn't prepared to go for it but as it is now dropping towards £200 I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas. I have no need for Sky as I don't watch much football, or other sport, on TV and have little interest other programming offered by Sky. If I want a film I can usually rent one or borrow from the library if there is nothing amongst the huge collection we have amassed on our Freeview hard drive!! However if Sky presents a much cheaper alternative that would be excellent

Where we live reception is a problem, as you rightly guess. We are in direct line with the Winter Hill station and at the top of our garden is a very tall sycamore. When this is laden with foliage and we have heavy wind and rain the picture repeatedly breaks up. It is much improved with a Freeview box, through a standard aerial, but still breaks up on some channels. Houses on either side, literally next door, do not have a problem.

I've been looking at the Foxsat HDR for just over a year. At £300 I wasn't prepared to go for it but as it is now dropping towards £200 I'm thinking of getting one for Christmas. I have no need for Sky as I don't watch much football, or other sport, on TV and have little interest other programming offered by Sky. If I want a film I can usually rent one or borrow from the library if there is nothing amongst the huge collection we have amassed on our Freeview hard drive!! However if Sky presents a much cheaper alternative that would be excellent

i am thinking of getting rid of my sky, they treat customers like dirt!!. I can't believe they can offer new customers all these deals (like free sky+box for free), but for old customers to upgrade to sky+ they have to to pay £149.00!!!!

i am thinking of getting rid of my sky, they treat customers like dirt!!. I can't believe they can offer new customers all these deals (like free sky+box for free), but for old customers to upgrade to sky+ they have to to pay £149.00!!!!

Just phone up and tell them you're going to cancel. I did it for my Dad and got it for £50 in the end. I reckon I could have pushed it down to £0 but I couldn't risk them calling my bluff with it not being my mine, if it were mine I would have kept going.

Say you've started a new job which means you're working nights, so you won't be able to see the programs on the channels you're paying for. They'll suggest Sky+ to you, then just say it's too expensive. If you've been a customer for years they'll definitely want to keep you. I think I told them I was going to downgrade to a freeview box with a hard drive to record things as well.

You sure it's that much to upgrade to HD? We're only being charged €49 for new and existing customers over here and we almost always get screwed for much more than those in the UK.

As LeChuck says just tell them you're thinking of cancelling your subscription/moving to Virgin and they'll try their best to keep you ;)

My Dad kept Setanta (we get 3pm games over here with them) for a few Liverpool games at the start of the season and called to cancel it in favour of ESPN a week ago. We'd have had to pay the next month's subscription anyway but they offered us the next three months for less than that :lol:

i have tried phoning them and threating them i am going to cancel, my subscription with them before, but they still did not budge!!! They just kept on saying to me to check their website and keep looking for offers. They did offer it me for £49, but i had to take out an multiroom package with them for 12 months. TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER CARE!!!

Archived