BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] When Dalglish Stepped Down....

Can you expand on what Dalglish said about "Walker interference"? That wasn't touched upon in the serialised newspaper article I saw.

kenny had a meeting with Jack about a player he wanted to sign, Jack said 'convince me', Kenny said he doesn't explain himself to anyone, he treats Jack's money as if it was his own. Ray stopped him from quitting.

He was just going through the motions after that.

The whole Rovers section is massively patronising, it took me about 5 minutes to read in WH Smiths and as greatful as I am for him making my dreams come true, my respect for the man went that quickly.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kenny had a meeting with Jack about a player he wanted to sign, Jack said 'convince me', Kenny said he doesn't explain himself to anyone, he treats Jack's money as if it was his own. Ray stopped him from quitting.

He was just going through the motions after that.

The whole Rovers section is massively patronising, it took me about 5 minutes to read in WH Smiths and as greatful as I am for him making my dreams come true, my respect for the man went that quickly.

Thanks.

It's long been rumoured hasn't it that there was a fall out between Jack and Kenny about signing Geoff Thomas (Then at Crystal Palace I think)

Whether or not this disagreement was about Thomas, it's not exactly unreasonable for Jack to ask Kenny to give him a couple of minutes on why player x should be signed is it? Although you don't know whether that conversation has occurred against a general backdrop of Jack questioning Kenny's judgement on the acquisition of players.

If he was only "going through the motions" after that he didn't half do a bad job did he?

Though like I said above it's extremely disappointing that after all this time Dalglish is tarnishing the dream (and indeed his own accomplishments here) in this way.

• Backroom

From what I remember, Shearer said that Jack had originally told him that if he wanted to leave Rovers at any time then he would let him go assuming the offer was reasonable. However, when push came to shove and Shearer asked to leave, Jack said he would only let Shearer leave for 15M. Shearer was disappointed because he didn't think anybody would pay the money, but then along came Newcastle & Man Utd. He was going to go to Utd but Keegan convinced him to go to Newcastle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Martin Samuel in today's Mail, FINALLY someone in ther media tells it how it was.

'That Dalglish has spent so long disparaged or out of work remains one of football’s greatest mysteries. He was an excellent Liverpool manager and his achievement in winning the Premier League with Blackburn is unsurpassed. It is a myth that Blackburn bought the trophy the way Manchester City wish to. City will blow every rival out of the water financially in a bid to win the prize.

When Dalglish was in charge, Blackburn were still losing out to elite clubs in the transfer market, including Liverpool. In 1995, when they were both chasing Republic of Ireland international Jason McAteer, then with Bolton Wanderers, Liverpool beat Blackburn conclusively on wages.

Ray Harford, Blackburn assistant manager at the time, said that Dalglish contacted McAteer in a desperate last attempt to turn events in his favour.

‘Phone Roy Evans now and ask where he is going to play you,’ he said. ‘He doesn’t know. We do. We know where you fit in.’

It fell on deaf ears. McAteer took Liverpool’s superior offer and over four years was shuffled around the first team, across the midfield and even played at right back. He did eventually move to Ewood Park in 1999, but Dalglish was long gone and Blackburn were relegated that season.

To win the League at Blackburn, as Dalglish did in 1994-95, therefore, was one of the great feats of the modern era.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1345583/Kenny-Dalglish-win-lose-hand-Liverpool-crisis-Martin-Samuel.html#ixzz1AdRozW6w

From what I remember, Shearer said that Jack had originally told him that if he wanted to leave Rovers at any time then he would let him go assuming the offer was reasonable. However, when push came to shove and Shearer asked to leave, Jack said he would only let Shearer leave for 15M. Shearer was disappointed because he didn't think anybody would pay the money, but then along came Newcastle & Man Utd. He was going to go to Utd but Keegan convinced him to go to Newcastle.

To be fair, 15m at the time was fair enough I reckon

Just wanting to pick the brains of fans who were around then. I have been a Rovers fan since 1999 so I missed out on the glory years [i was 5 years old when we won the league].

When Dalglish became a director of football and Ray Harford took over what was the fans feeling at the time ? Did most predict it would be a disaster ? were some optimistic ?

It was a shock but I was cautiously optimistic. Unfortunately I didn't realise at that time that Dalglish's intention was solely to reduce his golf handicap.

Just wanting to pick the brains of fans who were around then. I have been a Rovers fan since 1999 so I missed out on the glory years [i was 5 years old when we won the league].

When Dalglish became a director of football and Ray Harford took over what was the fans feeling at the time ? Did most predict it would be a disaster ? were some optimistic ?

one of those moments in my life i remember exactly were I was when the I found out.

gutted.

Good to see Kenny back in management, they say he's been out of management for a long time but some things never change though. Like getting swindled at Old Trafford, must have left him with a rather familiar feeling. <_<

Still love King Kenny really despite the recent revelations in his last book but I must admit he has been setting my teeth on edge this weekend with his platitudes about how it would have been "disrespectful to the club" to turn down the chance to manage Liverpool a second time.

He certainly didn't show the same reluctance to disrespect Blackburn Rovers, the memory of Uncle Jack and his achievements here in his book!

kenny had a meeting with Jack about a player he wanted to sign, Jack said 'convince me', Kenny said he doesn't explain himself to anyone, he treats Jack's money as if it was his own.

....let`s see if he likes 'explaining' to the director of football at Anfailed (i forget his name) shall we?? :huh:

I think 'king kenny' might find football has moved on somewhat from the last time he managed.

Still love King Kenny really despite the recent revelations in his last book but I must admit he has been setting my teeth on edge this weekend with his platitudes about how it would have been "disrespectful to the club" to turn down the chance to manage Liverpool a second time.

Can you imagine if he had returned to Rovers?

"...and in other news, some old guy returns to Blackpool Rovers."

He certainly didn't show the same reluctance to disrespect Blackburn Rovers, the memory of Uncle Jack and his achievements here in his book!

Those scouse gits must have the intellectual capacity of an average amoeba. KMD didn't mind being disrespectful to Liverpool when he cut and run 20 years ago did he? I can only assume that he's become a touch hard up of late. The recession is far reaching isn't it?

Archived