BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Julian Assange- Wikileaks

There have been many calls, especially from the "land of the Free" to kill Assange. (check The Washington Post for proof)

What do people on here think.

Should the messenger be shot?

Should the US be looking in their own backyard for disaffected patriots before calling for the messengers head?

I think it is brilliant, I would prefer if he stuck to incompetence, dishonesty, and corruption instead of quite worthless communications about foreign ministers etc (that is all a bit tabloid) but civilian killings, war crimes, big business corruption should all be open slather.

Crazy that someone who leaks documents which essentially embaresses diplomats is being being threatened with his life.

I think the authorities are driving a great big wedge between the governed and the governing on this.

The USA and international justice system failed to hold Blair, Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld to account for conning us stupid and then running a totally incompetent operation in Iraq so it is only fair that they are exposed. Ditto some of the things which have gone in in big banking.

I just hope that Assange has a fail safe trip door ready to spring open for all his other leaks arranged if he gets arrested.

Philip, there's an article on the abc (www.abc.net.au/unleashed) website about an open letter to our prime minister requesting that the Australian Government look after Assange.

It's been signed by (at the time of posting) by over 400 people, including me.

Now, I'm not in total agreement with what he has done, but, for some in the US, including high profile people, to call for his assassination, is despicable.

Like I said, the US should be looking in their own backyard, and be thanking Assange for pointing out their own shortcomings.

Other than an apparent hatred of the US I'm not sure of Assange's motives but his revelations have exposed the duplicity in governments and enabled ordinary people to see those who govern us in their true light. All power to him and I hope he survives but there are powerful forces against him not least apparent trumped-up rape charges in Sweden and also presumably the CIA and other US government agencies who would like to see him silenced for good. Assange is currently in hiding in England but his whereabouts are known by police who have served him with Swedish extradition papers.

I don't think that there's a hatred of the USA, more a hatred of the secrecy. Remember also, that it includes stuff from other sources other than the US. That means, I suppose, that more US citizens with access are divulging

It's just that the US (apparently) has more to hide.

At the moment, all I can see that he's done is expose the sham that is "diplomacy"

Its interesting to see the pressure that governments, one in particular, are putting on the likes of Amazon, PayPal and the Swiss Bank. I know quite a few people who are boycotting companies that have caved to the pressure.

I believe he's a dead man walking.

Fair do's to him but what sane person would do such a thing?

If you start trying to answer that question, you end up with more questions than answers.

I believe there is more to this than it seems.

I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I believe he's a dead man walking.

Fair do's to him but what sane person would do such a thing?

I can't help thinking he's on one huge ego trip, however amongst the endless tittle-tattle it proves just how conceited the US governments have been/are and that makes them quite dangerous. On a general note, I really thought the tension in the air during the Bush years would subside with Obama but I'm not sensing any change.

I can't help thinking he's on one huge ego trip, however amongst the endless tittle-tattle it proves just how conceited the US governments have been/are and that makes them quite dangerous. On a general note, I really thought the tension in the air during the Bush years would subside with Obama but I'm not sensing any change.

Take your point, Koi, but he's only the mouthpiece.

Who is giving him the info?

Take your point, Koi, but he's only the mouthpiece.

Who is giving him the info?

Yes, I suppose he is but I just feel that you would need to be extremely egotistical to front something like Wikileaks. Regarding the info, allegedly take your pick from 3m+ Americans which is pretty incredible for such a paranoid nation!

Its interesting to see the pressure that governments, one in particular, are putting on the likes of Amazon, PayPal and the Swiss Bank. I know quite a few people who are boycotting companies that have caved to the pressure.

I've not been following very closely, but what have Amazon and Paypal got to do with it all?

I've not been following very closely, but what have Amazon and Paypal got to do with it all?

Amazon hosted the Wikileaks site and Paypal was used for donations. The Swiss bank hold Assanges' personal account (and wikileaks maybe?)

The more shocking revelation Clare is the new home kit for next season :blink: , Mrs Koi was buying me one on behalf of Santa but after seeing it for real on friday I very quickly changed my mind!

I think it is brilliant, I would prefer if he stuck to incompetence, dishonesty, and corruption instead of quite worthless communications about foreign ministers etc (that is all a bit tabloid) but civilian killings, war crimes, big business corruption should all be open slather.

Crazy that someone who leaks documents which essentially embaresses diplomats is being being threatened with his life.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

It is a tad naughty to reveal all these secret documents to the world, BUT it`s also shown the world what the 'friendly' american government actually thinks about it`s allies & it`s enemies.......apparently there`s very little difference between the two!! :unsure:

If i was Cameron, i`d tell Obama & the Afgan president we are pulling out of Afganistan (cos we`re obviously doing a cr4p job) & i`d wish them well against the Taliban & other enemies. Our 'special relationship' with the US is obviously seen as a 'Lou & Andy' type thing. I`ll let you decide which one the UK is seen as by the yanks.

I realise every government on earth probably has similar files on similar subjects & Britain is probably just as bad, if not worse.

Can we really talk about this subject without being dealt an unfortunate accident for commenting on it ?

Surely the issue is freedom of speech in that you can only say what you want, providing some powerful people accept it, otherwise ......

The rape charge is not what it seems, it is actually a "surprise sex" charge which is all about having sex without a condom and is an obscure Swedish law. All people involved were consenual adults. Apparently it is a fine of around $70.

Didn't think interpol really worried about these kinds of things.

I can't decide whether it's a setup by the US or an act of the Israeli secret service (Mossad).

Only today they have come out and said it's not helping their West bank construction program. What does wikileaks have to do with that?

Only yesterday the US came and said they are no longer opposing the restarting of construction on the west bank.

Strange that

I like reading these threads to see what the other side of the pond thinks, cheers for that.

a few thoughts from me:

* From my TV and computer here in the states, I never heard any assasination calls, so that surprised me.

* Fair play to him for posting the stuff he got. Now, if he did break laws to get it, that's his issue. The sex charge does seem odd, quite clearly seems to be a "use the lesser charge take him off the streets until we find evidence a bigger charge" sort of move. We'll see what comes of it.

* I still don't see the big deal in a lot of this stuff. I mean, most pepole think that heads of state are a bit loony anyways. What politican doesn't have skeletons in his closet or shady dealings in his past? So why wouldn't the diplos feel the same way, and feel the need to dig to find it? I can see the 'negotiation' advantage from knowing your 'oppositions' dirty little secrets.

* Now if there is info on thing that would cause actual harm to "national security" (which is a tarm way too widely used for my taste in the current climate), ie troop bases/movements, vulnerabilities to key energy/food/financial/information pipelines etc. then yeah, I'd prefer that not get leaked. But my understanding is that most of the stuff currently out there is state department/diplomacy type info. If that's the case, I think all there is to do is shrug our shoulders, deal with the new reality and less trust from the international community (like anyone trusts the US after the Bush/Mid-east mess anyways), plug the leaks and move on.

* re: Assange himself, if he or his people have broken any laws to get the data, then he/they have to face the charges, same as anyone else. If not, then oh well, we got caught on the pot with our pants at our ankles. Not the first time, won't be the last.

but then again, I'm more laid back than most, I think.

Archived